Thread: Movies Promoting Internationalism

Default Movies Promoting Internationalism

I'm looking for some good movies that firmly express internationalism and communication between different ethnicities and cultures, like Babel or L'auberge espagnol; Babel is simply far too long though, and the latter is primarily in French, though it does have English subtitles. They're both also a bit risqué to show to SHS students here, though I definitely saw both when I was in high school.

As nice and simple as Disney/Pixar movies are, I'd really like to branch out and show them something a bit more obviously relevant to society - "broaden horizons" and all that jazz.
    いいみで

Default Re: Movies Promoting Internationalism

Bend it like Beckham?

It's the first one that comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Just watched it, and it was decent. Would take about two class periods to finish, but decent.

Does anyone have anything else to offer?
    いいみで

Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Lost in Translation? Philadelphia? Grand Torino? Hotel Rwanda? American History X? Milk? Crash?
    Last edited by BambooTelegraph; April 11th, 2014 at 13:36.

It's a wicket-era movie, older than dirt, but you might check out The Gods Must Be Crazy. Also has a few risque scenes, but the slapstick humor and awkwardness of the main dude really resonate with Japanese audiences. I was watching it with a friend's J-wifu and she thought it was the funniest gd thing she'd ever seen; actually asked me for a copy of it.

You might consider Stand and Deliver, although it's also quite dated and can only be found in VHS format with Japanese subtitles (if you find it on DVD, please let me know; I haven't even been able to [legally acquire] a version with J-subs).

The Joy Luck Club? Rated R, I doubt it would fly. MG likes it.

Maybe A Better Life or Under the Same Moon.

Slumdog Millionaire, maybe.

Shaolin Soccer (my favorite "sports" movie). It's actually kinda fascinating from a cultural perspective. I liked it a lot better than Kung-Fu Hustle, unlike pretty much every other Chow fan on the planet, apparently.

The Kite Runner?

I dunno. I'll try to think of a few more. Aside from Gods Must Be Crazy and Slumdog, I dunno that many of those actually promote internationalism, necessarily. Still, they might be worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

West Side Story
    A Raisin In The Sun
    A Perfect World
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Enemy Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Cool, these are great. I'll check them all out. Thanks guys.
    いいみで