Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92

Thread: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

  1. #61
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkharness View Post
    Sorry sorry, Tokyo metropolis.

    I understand that everyone thinks the city is cold, and that's because it is. I'm just trying to let people know that at least the current ALTs don't live in the city at all. Dunno about incomers.
    that is because those ALTs live on Iwojima or some other backwards remote island. they are better off in one of Japans other cities, or near one.

    Nagoya,Yokohama,Utsunomia,Takasaki,Sendai,Fukuoka,Kobe,Osaka,Nara,Kyoto,Niigata,Toyama,Kanazawa,Fukui,Sapporo,Hiroshima,Nagasaki,Kumamoto,Himeji
    I can name more. Any one of these places or near one of these places would be better than being on those islands.

    Besides, one large Japanese city is like every other large Japanese city. The only one different is Tokyo, because it is a soul sucking suck hole of suck that drains the lives of all who have to work there.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I know there is a town in Kochi-ken; Tosashimizu (the birth place of John Manjiro) that always requests and gets a JET from the Fairhaven, MA area because that is were he lived in the states.
    Huh, I don't think any of the current JETs there are from Fairhaven.
    ES and JHS ALT

  3. #63

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Also, for all the people saying how impossible it would be to live in Tokyo on a JET salary: I lived there for a year as a student on 12-man a month (including scholarship and subsidies), and still managed to fit in some travelling and plenty of socialising. My rent was 6-man a month. You have to be willing to make some compromises, like renting a cheaper apartment that's a bit further out, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I would have been delighted if someone had offered me a JET salary to live on.
    ES and JHS ALT

  4. #64
    lurktastic!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Mythical Placement
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    that is because those ALTs live on Iwojima or some other backwards remote island. they are better off in one of Japans other cities, or near one.
    Uh nope. Half of them do. The other half are on the mainland. Pretty sure I said that earlier but whatever.

    Y'all go ahead and believe whatever. I'm going back to lurking.

  5. #65
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkharness View Post
    Uh nope. Half of them do. The other half are on the mainland. Pretty sure I said that earlier but whatever.

    Y'all go ahead and believe whatever. I'm going back to lurking.
    I know the islands aren't part of the special wards, but what part of the mainland is part of Tokyo and not part of the ward system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  6. #66
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    The cities to the west
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  7. #67
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkharness View Post
    Uh nope. Half of them do. The other half are on the mainland. Pretty sure I said that earlier but whatever.

    Y'all go ahead and believe whatever. I'm going back to lurking.
    wow. I'm trying to find a non snarky way to reply to this, and not violate the care bear status of this forum. But seriously? If we are so wrong mr Tokyo why don't you set us straight? those cities are still 40 minutes from the city or less most likely so they don't really count as country. If you think west Tokyo is country, boy... you need to get out more.

    Either way your argument and my argument is invalid for one simple reason, there are what thousands of JETs and maybe 200 Tokyo positions or less. People need to realize the numbers and realize that their chances of getting anywhere near the city are pretty slim. I personally think this is a good thing, as I've said there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  8. #68
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    wow. I'm trying to find a non snarky way to reply to this, and not violate the care bear status of this forum.
    My eyes just rolled so hard it gave me a headache.

    I know our regular ITILers, myself included, love to make an argument out of a molehill, but I don't really think there's anything we need to be arguing about here. Play nice, especially since hawkharness has the benefit of actually living there. And hawkharness, I will back you up when I think everyone is being a bit heavy handed, but the user title is a touch melodramatic.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Either way your argument and my argument is invalid for one simple reason, there are what thousands of JETs and maybe 200 Tokyo positions or less. People need to realize the numbers and realize that their chances of getting anywhere near the city are pretty slim. I personally think this is a good thing, as I've said there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo.
    The whole point of this thread was to show how placements are changing for Tokyo. Comparatively, it is a significant change. I think it's been derailed by some sort of anti-Tokyo sentiment, though.

  10. #70
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by chikorita View Post
    Huh, I don't think any of the current JETs there are from Fairhaven.
    You're right. No one there is from "Fairhaven" but they are from the Fairhaven area, as I said. Ya, two of them are not even from Mass but one is from Fall River (10 min away), the one before that was from Dartmouth (5 mins away), and the dude before them was from Attleboro or something like that.

    Fairhaven is pretty small population wise, I wouldn't be surprised if they only get one JET applicant every 10-15years.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

  11. #71
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Also I don't hate Tokyo, I really like it here (especially spring and summertime) but I like the people in other cities better. Especially Kansai cities.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    88

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    If I were to be accepted to JET... I don't know. I'd personally rather go somewhere other than Tokyo, but that's only due to the fact that I've been there twice already, and there's still a lot more of Japan I want to see. On the other hand, if it turns out one of those new slots in Tokyo gets me shortlisted one day, I won't be disappointed in the least.

  13. #73
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    I'm drinking 500¥ glasses of wine in a small pizzeria in Tokyo right now lending evidence to the idea that you can have a good time here and not break the bank.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  14. #74
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    if you are drinking cheap plonk and posting on ITIL you cant be having that great a time
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  15. #75

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by chikorita View Post
    Also, for all the people saying how impossible it would be to live in Tokyo on a JET salary: I lived there for a year as a student on 12-man a month (including scholarship and subsidies), and still managed to fit in some travelling and plenty of socialising. My rent was 6-man a month. You have to be willing to make some compromises, like renting a cheaper apartment that's a bit further out, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. I would have been delighted if someone had offered me a JET salary to live on.
    I lived in the inaka and my rent was also 6man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

  16. #76
    lurktastic!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Mythical Placement
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    And hawkharness, I will back you up when I think everyone is being a bit heavy handed, but the user title is a touch melodramatic.
    I set it up a while ago, and it was meant to be a joke, but you're probably right. I'll take it down. Thanks for your input. I didn't mean to stir up an argument either; I just felt a little defensive of my placement, because I really love it.

  17. #77
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    No, I don't blame you. It's nice to have input from one of the few people with a mainland Tokyo placement.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    I lived in the inaka and my rent was also 6man.
    Exactly my point you can find somewhere in Tokyo to rent that's not much more expensive than in the inaka (though it will almost certainly be smaller)
    ES and JHS ALT

  19. #79

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by chikorita View Post
    Exactly my point you can find somewhere in Tokyo to rent that's not much more expensive than in the inaka (though it will almost certainly be smaller)
    I don't even want to think about an apartment that cheap in a big city.

    6 man in the inaka can get you a palatial house or a pretty modern place, it won't go nearly that far in Tokyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  20. #80
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

    My GF's family rents out two decent size places in Ikebukuro for 8 man each. But honestly, that is cheap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •