Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short-lister age demographics

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Default Short-lister age demographics

Hey all.

I noticed something interesting and wanted to see what your thoughts were. My consulate opted to do a private sub-reddit for short-listers to get to know one another, ask questions about the process, etc. Much to my surprise, more than half (~70%) of the short-listers who have posted so far are in the 25-28 year old age range. This really surprised me, as I was under the impression that the majority of JETs are current college seniors. Was this a misguided assumption, or have things started changing in recent years? If it's the latter, that would make sense, what with the (still) crappy economy and rampant underemployment that older and older applicants would still be in a position in life that allowed them to up and move to Japan for a year.

Anyhow, those of you who have watched the applicant pool come and go for a while now - any thoughts?
    Last edited by hypatia; April 4th, 2014 at 12:08.

Default Re: Short-lister age demographics

I'd say it's always mostly been people in their 20s but it varies quite a lot within that bracket. I wouldn't say most people are straight out of college, no.

You do still see straight-from-school JETs, but that 25-28 age range is slowly becoming more common. This is a Good Thing(TM)

A frequent grumble on ITIL is that in every intake there are a number of JETs who come straight from college / university, and have no idea how to operate in the "real world", let alone when the real world is a foreign country. You see people who complain about having to be at work during school holidays, or not being allowed to take vacation when classes are being held. Others have no idea how to manage their finances. Having people on JET who have a job or two under their belt after university generally eliminates a whole host of issues for everyone.
    ...because Japan.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    You do still see straight-from-school JETs, but that 25-28 age range is slowly becoming more common. This is a Good Thing(TM)

A frequent grumble on ITIL is that in every intake there are a number of JETs who come straight from college / university, and have no idea how to operate in the "real world", let alone when the real world is a foreign country. You see people who complain about having to be at work during school holidays, or not being allowed to take vacation when classes are being held. Others have no idea how to manage their finances. Having people on JET who have a job or two under their belt after university generally eliminates a whole host of issues for everyone.
    We have a pretty healthy age mix in miami.

I will say the college seniors, as a whole, seemed to be overall less prepared for the interview than the 25+ crowd. We did have some great college seniors though.

Usually, more experienced people do better in interviews than those who have been in school their adult life.

All of you need to shut up... The lie I tell myself is that the JET Programme discriminates against older applicants which is why I was not short listed. Stop confronting me with reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    ... The lie...
    They always say admitting there's a problem is the first step !
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Banned

For some additional data, see that I did not get into the program in the three years that I applied directly out of school, but have just been shortlisted now several years thereafter. It was one of the things that I highlighted during my interview.

I am 27 years old and I was shortlisted. But most times, looking at my face, people would assume that I am still in college. Take that as you will.
    Last edited by HorseFeathers; April 4th, 2014 at 19:56.
    Washington DC, Short-listed ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ <3

There are 26 year olds who act like they're still in college and 22 year olds who act like they're adults. Overall though the majority of JETs give a feel of people who think/wish they were still 19.

I was born middle-aged apparently so that isn't my scene. The only time it really is bad though is when people act like rowdy pricks and don't respect other people. That's when I get pissed cause you know those people are giving an impression to Japanese people of how the rest of us are. Which sucks.

I'm going to be straight out of school at the age of 23, with an Arts degree double majoring in psychology (honors) and criminology. I was short listed with no teaching experience, and a Japanese level of introductory/super basic. I do have a few years of experience under my belt, which I think added to my uniqueness and demonstrated by ability to "function in the real world" as some people say. I spent 3 years working at a movie theater (front-line all the way up to cash office management), 8 months working with intellectually disabled adults as a vocational instructor, and 4 months at a clinic working with borderline personality disorder out-patients.

Like it's been said before, I think it really depends so much on the person and you can never guess what will make a qualified JET. Just because someone is in their 30's doesn't mean they know how to function any better on their own; I've seen 16 year olds more capable than some 30 year olds. I'll definitely advocate that anyone can try for JET, if they think they have what it takes.
    Last edited by Sarenka; April 5th, 2014 at 02:36. Reason: added one more bit of info

39 here! With a 5 year old. But maybe they are ok with that because I'm a second timer?!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    39 here! With a 5 year old. But maybe they are ok with that because I'm a second timer?!
    I've met first-timers in their fifties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Lol, that's awesome!

Second timer? It's my second time on JET - I went back in 2001-2004.

RG

21 here, graduating in May.

I was short-listed out of Nashville, but most of the other students I know who applied to leave straight out of college were placed as Alternates. There are a few things I could think of that would have put my application through above theirs, but I think one of the biggest is that I went to school out of state; the university is around 1000 miles away from where I grew up, so I already have 4 years experience living on my own, and 2 owning my own apartment.

I can also say that I do think seniors are less-prepared as a whole for the interviewing/hiring process; I've seen a lot of classmates who come in unprepared, with the mindset that it's an interview for a job like one you'd have in college, when it isn't.

I've been shortlisted this year, and I'm 28. However, I'm also graduating this year! I'm a mix!

First time on JET, I'm also ARASA, as in around 30...

(Randomgirl is ARAFO, around 40)

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I know I shouldn't discriminate, but I much prefer my current group of slightly older alts around me than the young group on other side of the prefecture. They are much easier to deal with and so not treat everything as a childish joke. Unfortunately, JET is not the place to mature as an individual though as you never need to grow up when you're surrounded by equally Uni minded kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I know I shouldn't discriminate, but I much prefer my current group of slightly older alts around me than the young group on other side of the prefecture. They are much easier to deal with and so not treat everything as a childish joke. Unfortunately, JET is not the place to mature as an individual though as you never need to grow up when you're surrounded by equally Uni minded kids.
    Nothing wrong with preferring that. Personally throughout my life I haven't really gotten along with my own demographic (interests and priorities never seem to line up) other than a few close friends I have. As I get older slowly I find I'm getting along better with people my age. xD
    Short Listed: Halifax, Canada
    Placement: Yurihonjō, Akita-ken