Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

JLGC Japan Local Government Center

I know someone posted about this a few months earlier, but I figured I'd revive it now that most consulates are getting their short-lists out.

I'm curious to hear from MiamiCoordinator or anyone that might actually have heard something about this initiative.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    JLGC Japan Local Government Center

I know someone posted about this a few months earlier, but I figured I'd revive it now that most consulates are getting their short-lists out.

I'm curious to hear from MiamiCoordinator or anyone that might actually have heard something about this initiative.
    Yes, we learned about this a few months back. I am glad CLAIR finally released a press release for it. Maybe now some people on this site won't moan and groan over people wanting Tokyo placements ^^

Just remember though, JET salary is the same nationwide. So, the person living in a small town in the north who pays 200 dollars rent will get the same salary as someone living in Tokyo who may need to pay 800 dollars for a shoebox apartment. Just some things to think about

Living in Tokyo may have other challenges compared to rural living.

We will see how many of the short-listers get placed in Tokyo when June comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Maybe now some people on this site won't moan and groan over people wanting Tokyo placements ^^
    Hey now! We've had good reason to moan and groan over that The lack of Tokyo placements, plus CLAIR's goal to get ALTs out to the inaka, made that a perfectly good gripe-subject. Now Tokyo are recruiting heavily, we can start encouraging people that want to live there! Heck, if Akihabara has a SHS, we might have found someone's dream placement!
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Hey now! We've had good reason to moan and groan over that The lack of Tokyo placements, plus CLAIR's goal to get ALTs out to the inaka, made that a perfectly good gripe-subject. Now Tokyo are recruiting heavily, we can start encouraging people that want to live there! Heck, if Akihabara has a SHS, we might have found someone's dream placement!
    I am sure there will be some encouragement, though it will be accompanied by a healthy amount of condescension and derision; it wouldn't be the ITIL experience without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Yes, we learned about this a few months back. I am glad CLAIR finally released a press release for it. Maybe now some people on this site won't moan and groan over people wanting Tokyo placements ^^

Just remember though, JET salary is the same nationwide. So, the person living in a small town in the north who pays 200 dollars rent will get the same salary as someone living in Tokyo who may need to pay 800 dollars for a shoebox apartment. Just some things to think about

Living in Tokyo may have other challenges compared to rural living.

We will see how many of the short-listers get placed in Tokyo when June comes around.
    Hey now, we've had good reason to whinge over that, and I think if there ACTUALLY Tokyo placements we'll have more reason to whinge because people who otherwise wouldn't have applied due to no Tokyo will now apply, get sent to BFI, and be all "WAH WAH WAH I'm not in Tokyo". At least before they were just stupid when that happened, now....

You know, I'll be curious to find out in a month or two if they actually did increase the number of positions or if this was all just fluff. I mean, if they do GREAT, but something about this sounds like a bit of a smoke screen. I'm also curious how the ALTs will be distributed as well. I don't quite understand how Tokyo the to(都) works compared to a normal prefecture with all those smaller "cities" inside it for education, so we could have SHS only ALTs, or maybe the whole range.

I'm also curious with all these new ALTs what is gonna happen to the local expat population in Tokyo. I mean, I met more than one guy in Tokyo doing part time ALT work there, so are these part timer (read dirt cheap) English teachers going to be displaced or supplemented?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Could this mean more alternates get upgraded too, or are they just shifting existing placements around?

Quote Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
    Could this mean more alternates get upgraded too, or are they just shifting existing placements around?
    I don't think so. There are three ways that alternates get upgraded.

1) Short-listers decline their positions
    2) Those who are working in Japan who initially agreed to re-contract change their mind and their contracting organizations need to fill a spot
    3) Last minute a contracting or ganization decides they want to hire a JET and contact CLAIR for someone.

The first two happen much more than the third. Since this has been announced since November of last year, I assume Tokyo met the deadline(usually January) to let CLAIR know they would need X amount of JETs. The only way this would mean more upgrades is if Tokyo decided they wanted more JETs than the initial 100 they are requesting this year. In that case, yes, some more people would be upgraded. I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea, but it is a possibility. If Tokyo though does not need more than the 100 requested this year, then it will not mean more alternate upgrades. Since Tokyo only had 5 JET positions in 2013, this is not a shifting of placements, but rather an expanding of the program. Which is great overall because it means more short-listers next year.

I don't think the number of JETs is going to change, I think the cut off is 4k ALTs globally, including new and recontracted placements?

It just means more people are likely to get a placement in Tokyo. Its a very significant change.

To put it into perspective, Hokkaido (217 outside of Sapporo, 35 within Sapporo) and Hyogo (183 outside of Kobe, and 111 within Kobe) prefectures were listed in 2012 as having the most JETs. Tokyo would likely be in the top 10 prefectures that employs JETs this year, and possibly tied/ahead of Hyogo by 2015 with over 300 JETs.
    Last edited by Corvus; April 11th, 2014 at 05:48.

I don't think the number of JETs is going to change, I think the cut off is 4k ALTs globally, including new and recontracted placements?

It just means more people are likely to get a placement in Tokyo. Its a very significant change.

To put it into perspective, Hokkaido (217 outside of Sapporo, 35 within Sapporo) and Hyogo (183 outside of Kobe, and 111 within Kobe) prefectures were listed in 2012 as having the most JETs. Tokyo would likely be in the top 10 prefectures that employs JETs this year, and possibly tied/ahead of Hyogo by 2015 with over 300 JETs.
    There is no cap on the number of JETs nationally. The number of JETs is determined by the number of Contracting Organizations(Boards of Education, or Prefectures). They figure out how many they can/can't hire. JET salaries are standarized out of fairness, but there is no hard cap on the amount there can be. So yes, it will increase the number of JETs in Japan, just not by a large amount. An extra 100-200 spots is significant, but it will be spread out amonst all English speaking Consulates/Embassies worldwide. Each Consulate may get a couple extra spots for example.

In case anyone was curious, here is the more detailed breakdown of prefectures for 2012-2013
    http://www.jetprogramme.org/document...et_stats_e.pdf

Looks like there were only 2 CO's in Tokyo, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Default Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

In case anyone was curious, here is the more detailed breakdown of prefectures for 2012-2013
    http://www.jetprogramme.org/document...et_stats_e.pdf

Looks like there were only 2 CO's in Tokyo, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Those were island placements.

It reads like the goal is for newbies to teach SHS, which should be interesting. I look forward to massive amounts of whinge-posts.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Man, I don't think I would love living in Tokyo. I mean, I would totally accept that position, but I really hope I get something more rural than that (if I get anything at all).

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Man, I don't think I would love living in Tokyo. I mean, I would totally accept that position, but I really hope I get something more rural than that (if I get anything at all).
    If you do get Tokyo.....wanna switch?

Quote Originally Posted by yingyangryder View Post
    If you do get Tokyo.....wanna switch?
    Ha, I wonder how long it would take them to catch on...

Here's hoping Tokyo will want some Aussies!
    2014 Short-listed, Sydney (≧∇≦)/ Yamaguchi-ken

Yeah, I actually agree with you spman. I've never really had the urge to visit Tokyo one day, and I feel like living in a city that big would kinda freak me out. But if it meant being upgraded, I'd take whatever they gave me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingMouse View Post
    Yeah, I actually agree with you spman. I've never really had the urge to visit Tokyo one day, and I feel like living in a city that big would kinda freak me out. But if it meant being upgraded, I'd take whatever they gave me at this point.
    Tokyo is great for a long weekend visit for shopping or a Golden Week tourist trip, and I love the idea of living there (I'd kill to be able to bike pretty much everywhere without climbing a mountain)... but probably not as an ALT. The cost of living is probably 5x my super inaka lifestyle - and it would probably cramp my travel somewhere in Japan at every opportunity thing I've got going.

How worrying- I live in London now and was hoping for a nice year out in the cuds! I guess there's more to do in Tokyo but significantly less money with which to do it after rent...

I agree with spman. I put down that I preferred to be placed in a city (Kobe, Kyoto, or Nagoya), but a Tokyo placement wouldn't be something I'd be jumping for joy over. The city itself is amazing, but way too expensive for my budget. Although, Kobe and Kyoto can also be expensive...they are far less of a financial burden than Tokyo would be. Overall though, I'd take it if I was placed there come June.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

You know, I don't know why Tokyo would be expensive for a JET. We live on pretty nice salaries, and most COs will probably subsidize housing and transport. Heck, there might even be free or very cheap teachers' housing if it's for SHS. Sure, food and entertainment might be pricy, but it's expensive everywhere. As long as placed JETs don't go to a maid cafe every night, I think they'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?