Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

Default Re: Tokyo JET intake 5>100 by 2014, 100>200 by 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    My GF's family rents out two decent size places in Ikebukuro for 8 man each. But honestly, that is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -and here come the n00b pms requesting for you to reserve one for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I dunno; these last few application seasons I think we've seen quite a few people who would actually prefer not to go to Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I dunno; these last few application seasons I think we've seen quite a few people who would actually prefer not to go to Tokyo.
    Maybe they meant it, or maybe they just accepted it would never happen. Who knows, now that there's hope...
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

The way I see it, there will be pros and cons about literally any place or area one is assigned to. If you are assigned to live in a city as iconic as Tokyo, it certainly wouldn't be the wrist thing in the world. Chances of Tokyo are still slim, though greater than before. Why? To promote English in the greater Tokyo area in time for the Olympics. I personally would take it as an honor to be allowed to contribute to such an important cause, small apartment or no.

Using Tapatalk

Apparently liking Tokyo is a minority opinion here, who would have guessed?

I've always done better in big cities. The whole "alone in a crowd" thing is really relaxing to me. And especially in Japan. I feel better as 1 of 100 people on the train car, with no one looking at me, rather than 1 of 5 with everyone taking sidelong glances.

Also, everyone always wants to visit Tokyo. My friend who lives there has a constant stream of guests from all over Japan. No one wants to visit my snowy hell. If I lived in Tokyo, I'd see my friends who were scattered across Japan by the placement process. Every time someone flies in, they stop in Tokyo too. It's just nice.

Finally, one of my major gripes in my town is that I can't drift into the subcultures I used to enjoy because until I'm fluent, I'm just the token gaijin. Also, my area is so inaka that the idea of "sub cultures" is kind of laughable. Maybe the farmer subculture vs the factory worker subculture. In Tokyo there's enough ex-pat or english-speaking population to have actual friend groups based on shared values and interests. Not just shared foreigner or foreigner-lover status.

Plus I already live in a 1-room apartment, so it can't get much smaller. I have to drive 40 min to eat anything other than ramen, so gas costs drive up my food/entertainment costs. Plus I'm paying 330/month for a rental car, freaking ouch. Because the JETs in our area can't stop crashing into lamp posts, so no one will deal with us. Take the car out of the equation, put that toward rent, and I'm sitting pretty on the same salary.

I'm sure someone will rip this apart, but pretty much every other opinion so far has been anti-Tokyo. So I'm just evening out the field.
    Last edited by tealparadise; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post

I've always done better in big cities. The whole "alone in a crowd" thing is really relaxing to me. And especially in Japan. I feel better as 1 of 100 people on the train car, with no one looking at me, rather than 1 of 5 with everyone taking sidelong glances.

Also, everyone always wants to visit Tokyo. My friend who lives there has a constant stream of guests from all over Japan. No one wants to visit my snowy hell. If I lived in Tokyo, I'd see my friends who were scattered across Japan by the placement process. Every time someone flies in, they stop in Tokyo too. It's just nice.

Finally, one of my major gripes in my town is that I can't drift into the subcultures I used to enjoy because until I'm fluent, I'm just the token gaijin. Also, my area is so inaka that the idea of "sub cultures" is kind of laughable. Maybe the farmer subculture vs the factory worker subculture. In Tokyo there's enough ex-pat or english-speaking population to have actual friend groups based on shared values and interests. Not just shared foreigner or foreigner-lover status.

I'm sure someone will rip this apart, but pretty much every other opinion so far has been anti-Tokyo. So I'm just evening out the field.
    This. I lived in a small town in America. Hated it. I live about ten miles from Seoul, Korea now. I love it. I love being an introvert in a big city. It's far more relaxing.

Using Tapatalk

This. I lived in a small town in America. Hated it. I live about ten miles from Seoul, Korea now. I love it. I love being an introvert in a big city. It's far more relaxing.

I'm from a small town too. Maybe that's the difference.

I am from a reasonably sized city, but I too am more relaxed in Tokyo. I like my little town, but I love cities more than anything. Call me boring but meh, I can`t help what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post

Finally, one of my major gripes in my town is that I can't drift into the subcultures I used to enjoy because until I'm fluent, I'm just the token gaijin. Also, my area is so inaka that the idea of "sub cultures" is kind of laughable.
    You still get the glances here. Everyday I see tons of people staring at me in the reflection of the train window or as we walk by. In smaller neighborhoods, you'll even get the head turn. Hell, on Thursday walking up a hill in Aoyama, I heard some J-lady say, "gaijin ooi" under her breath.

The thing about the subcultures thing is that last time I was here '06-08, I was really into different subcultures. (Bikes groups, music, etc.) To a certain extent, you'll always be the token gaijin. Even if your super perapera, you'll think differently and react differently. As you should. As much as adapting to the culture is a good thing, going native (is a more restrictive culture than your own) is almost never a positive thing.

Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    you'll always be the token gaijin.
    This^. The sooner people realize this, the better you will be. Shit today on the news they were interviewing another stupid boy band and it came down to their token gaijin (a half who is by all means japanese in every sense of the word culturally) they gave him a nice ribbing because. Lol foreigner...

At least outside of Tokyo they might want your input and value you as the token gaijin. In tokyo, they can always find another token gaijin to replace you.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

ALTs have no business complaining about token gaijin attention. Think fat weeaboos in cargo shorts would be getting all that Jpoon without minor celebrity status?

ALTs have no business complaining about token gaijin attention. Think fat weeaboos in cargo shorts would be getting all that Jpoon without minor celebrity status?
    My kids think I'm super awesome and cool, because I wear sunglasses and can bike faster than any of them... and they've never met another gaijin. In my defense, I don't wear cargo shorts, only cargo pants with fake pockets...