Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Student centred teaching plans for Elementary

Default Student centred teaching plans for Elementary

Hi,

This is my first post here, so be nice

I have made up a whole lot of student centred curriculums for my schools (seeing students between 3 and 35 times per year). Would people like me to put them up here? I've already put them up on the official JET forums, although I've tidied them up a bit since then.

They're not 100% student centred, since given the low number of times I can see each class, I've had to compromise a bit. I'm well aware of their limitations, but any discussion here I'm sure would be fine, to help other ALTs implement them.

So yes, would you guys like me to put them up? Would you find them useful?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by KIKKI.K; June 18th, 2014 at 15:29. Reason: attaching files in an easy to find place

Default Re: Student centred teaching plans for Elementary

I would be happy to. I'm always looking for new ES ideas!

Go for it! There may be a problem with file sizes, so shout if you run into trouble.
    ...because Japan.

Ok, I'll probably upload some when I get back to my base school later this afternoon.

Ok, hopefully this works.
    Still working on my Year 5s and 6s combined class curriculum. Please read the "teaching in a student centred way" first.
    If you find any mistakes, please let me know. Also, any discussion about these is welcome.

EDIT: removed previous versions, see OP for new versions.
    Last edited by KIKKI.K; June 18th, 2014 at 13:14.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Right on Kikki.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thank you for sharing! These should give me some ideas for the semester

????????????????????

good effort.......
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    ????????????????????

good effort.......

Like I said, I am aware of the limitations of these plans, but due to the limited numbers of lessons, I had to make some choices about what to prioritise. I'm sure you will make different choices depending on your situation.

I think a lot of ALTs don't really think very hard about how the grammar points they teach actually link up, or how what they teach gives students a sense of how English fits together. Given that a lot of students actually come into elementary schools already knowing quite a lot of English words, either from manga, or anime, or gairaigo, I wanted to prioritise giving them a feel for how the grammar is manipulated in different ways, while also giving them space to choose what vocab they want to use to make it something they actually want to say, rather than a boring drill.

is there any reason why each grade is doing the same basic thing? what happens next year? do they just repeat everything?
    is there any reason why its formatted in one long meandering stream of consciousness? could you not do 1 lesson on 1 page?
    whats the thinking behind doing something as complicated as "people who want" week 1, "do you want" week 2 and finally "I want" week 3? wouldn't it be easier to introduce "want" with "i want" in the beginning?
    What are the aims of each class? how do you evaluate the students?
    why do numbers, wait a month then do time? wouldnt it be better to do them together?
    why do "want to go" then wait a month before doing "want to be" wouldnt it be easier to do them together?
    why
    why
    why
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Haha, yes, nice questions.

What do you mean, "is there any reason why each grade is doing the same basic thing? what happens next year? do they just repeat everything?"? Each year focusses on a different concept. If you're talking about the phonics, this is obviously for the first year of introduction. In subsequent years, you should move on to whatever's next. For example if the Year 1s' last lesson was LWVF, then their first lesson as Year 2s should be YXRZ, not AEIOU.

Why is it formatted the way it is? To save paper. I've printed these out, because I prefer things on paper. Sorry that it's not as easy for you to see. But since it's a .doc, you can easily just add in "enters" so that each lesson begins on a new page.

"People who want" is actually not complicated at all. My ichinenseis who have had no lessons in English can always tell me that "people who like red" means that aka ga suki na hito should change seats. Seriously. They get it first time, every time. And yes, after the first maybe, 5 students for ichinensei, you don't even have to prompt them. These aren't super intelligent kids, this is actually at my worst school, which has had a tonne of problems in the past.

Secondly, if you have time after fruit basket and dictation (which all my students love, lol), you can certainly add in a ball toss, or basketball with "I want __" But the reason that I do the question first is because kids like to ask questions, and I think they will feel like they have achieved more than just if they could only say the answer.

The aims of each year of the plan is that they should be familiar with the concepts of "like" "can" "want" and "have" and sub consciously have a feel for how English grammar fits together. The aims of each class are that they are familiar with the sounds of English letters, and how they fit together to create words. I strongly believe that if students can get to grips with phonics in elementary, they will be very well placed to deal with the pressures of JHS/SHS English.

Why do numbers, wait and then do time? Because every time students have to recall something, it strengthens their memory of that piece of information. Counting and time are slightly different concepts, and therefore approaching numbers after a period, and from a slightly different angle, as it were, will strengthen both pieces of information.

If it helps, I have studied language teaching at university, and also had an education major look over these plans too. Not to shut down discussion of them or anything, but simply to let you know where I'm coming from

i would of thought doing something more challenging with the 6th grade than playing fruit basket would help them deal with the pressures of jhs/shs..... You are doing the same activities with each grade in almost every year. by the 5rd grade do you think they are going to be motivated to play ball toss and fruit basket for the hundredth time?

there is almost no review outside of your bizarre phonics obsession. you do the numbers 1-31 once. dont review it but go straight into ordinal numbers the next week then never mention numbers until time. In this section you still dont review numbers and just expect them to remember what they did months ago for 10 minutes squeezed in-between one of your phonics rants (not to mention number 32-59, what happened to them?).

The aims of having a familiarity with the way English sounds its good but there seems to be a distinct lack of communication going on in the class other than in these ball toss games. Do they kids ever have to talk to each other/interview people/use english outside of playing games?

based on the amount of phonics at work here I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are american

Haha, nope, you are way off, I am nowhere near america.

Actually there is a space to review vocab every lesson, in the "what's this?" section.

Also, this is for the FIRST year of implementation. Later on in the year, when I actually have some time, I will be putting together a curriculum for successive years for my successor.

But both good points that I hadn't been clear about before!

so "whats this?" is the same every time? how many weeks before that gets boring?

How do the lessons start and finish?

Whats the HRTs reaction to their role? what happens when they cant/wont join in with speaking and writing English?

Under "dictation" do you ever teach them the correct way to write the letters or can they just scribble anything they want down?

What's this isn't the same necessarily. But how I normally do it in my classes is to either a) pull the flashcard slowly out of an envelope, b) have a bag with a plastic model or similar of the vocab and the student has to stick their hand in and guess what it is, c) gesture the vocab, or d) do a 3 hint quiz type of thing.

The lessons start with me saying good morning/ good afternoon, students repeat, I ask how they are, they all answer "I'm __, and you?" I answer then ask the HRT. If I hear any student say "fine" I do it again. Not in a mean way, but I want them to actually answer how they are, as opposed to just rote repeating "I'mfinethankyouandyou" Then we go straight into the first activity. For Year 1s, we'll go through "ureshikattara?" "I'm happy" "nemukattara?" "I'm sleepy" etc each time, til I think we're getting the hang of it. It doesn't take long. 2-3 mins, tops.

Lessons finish generally when the bell goes, and I'll say, in English "that's all for today, thank you! [students say "thank you!], see you! [students say "see you"], goodbye! [good bye]" just because that's what they were used to when I got here, and I don't see much reason to change it.

I actually don't have trouble with any of my HRTs. They're all perfectly happy to either stand at the back of the class (and since I actually have a lot of experience teaching, I'm not bothered by leading the class), or they help me demonstrate stuff, or whatever. I would prefer it if it were more of a team teaching situation I think, but most of my HRTs are very shy about English, though very willing to help out when asked. I think it's better if they're not confident with English. It gives a good model for the kids, I think, because they can see that the HRT is trying, and they usually actually try to teach the HRT what to do. I will agree that I am quite lucky with my HRTs at the moment. I have also photocopied a huge thing for them all on the theory of student centred lessons and whatnot, so they can understand where I'm coming from.

For dictation, I write the letters up on the board for them. I want them to relax and pay attention to the sounds and connect that to the written form, rather than focus on trying to recall a letter from memory. That will happen anyway as the year(s) go on.
    Last edited by KIKKI.K; April 11th, 2014 at 20:30. Reason: Forgot some things

How do you end the classes? any time for student reflection?

shouldn't you put things like introductions and farewells in the lesson plan if you are intending to leave them for other people to follow?

do you write the letters in the correct stroke order? (the one set out in the JHS penmanship books)

you and the HRT might not mind you leading the class but thats a bit small minded isnt it? what happens in a year when you leave? shouldn't you be encouraging the the HRT to lead the class rather than be your assistant? What happens during demonstration lessons? HRT cant really write a report on "their lesson" if you are doing everything

Sorry, I forgot, someone mentioned about interview games. Yes I actually have used them quite a bit too. I think I will have some spaces in my lessons where I can use them, most lessons are budgeted for 40 mins, because not everyone has good class control, or easy to control classes, so I think I will be able to add them in again. Cheers!

Some of my schools have a sheet where students write their thoughts on each lesson. It then gets marked though, which I think defeats the purpose. I think most of my students are not at the age where that would be helpful.

As for writing that on the lesson plans, I don't think I need to. I will be doing a big write up for my successor anyway for when they come and I've always planned to put things like that in there instead.

This isn't a hard an fast thing, and I would expect each ALT to adapt anything they want to use out of these to their particular students. It's simply detailed notes about what I do in my classes.

Observation lessons where it's the HRT being observed, and not me? I've had one of those in my nearly 4 years here. And that HRT wrote the plan, and was the main teacher. Otherwise, any observation lessons have been my CO looking at me, and not necessarily being focussed on the HRT.

As for the writing. I write letters in the correct order. Ie, the one I learnt as a kid. Haha. I don't teach the kids stroke order, but they always watch me writing things on the board. I don't think it's necessary to drill that kind of thing into them. I really don't see the point.

Lesson finish stuff I answered when I edited my previous post.
    Last edited by KIKKI.K; April 11th, 2014 at 20:52. Reason: spelling

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Can I chime in on one part, which was something I was considering recently with my classes. Ini is sorta right that if we're designing content like this, we really should be passing this information on to our coworkers as well as our successors and colleagues.

Given how much thought you've put into this, an english (first) HRT guide to go with it might not be a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Lol, I will be training my HRTs over this term to deal with a new ALT who (most likely) won't know how to teach when they get here. I don't plan to let my hard work over the years go to waste.

These plans will also be gradually translated into basic Japanese, which, along with all the stuff I've already given my HRTs, should enable them to have the confidence to take over when I'm gone.