Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87

Thread: Arriving in Japan

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    900

    Default Arriving in Japan

    I'm trying to get an idea of what it's going to be like for the first few weeks beyond what's in the handbook that my consulate sent me. Specifically, I'm curious about the weather. Everyone says it's hot and humid and miserable, and it's not that I don't believe them, but I was born and raised in Florida, so hot, humid, and miserable is in my veins. Miamicoordinator, or anyone else with a comparable home climate, do you have anyway of describing just how bad it is? I understand they don't have air conditioning everywhere, but I've tried to never rely too much on that anyway, and my apartment for the past four years (admittedly well north of Florida) doesn't have air conditioning either.

    I'm just worried that my short sleeve button-ups and polos might be a little too casual, but I don't want to go out and buy a whole summer wardrobe to bring with me, if it turns out that I'll be perfectly comfortable in my regular business attire.

    Also in this thread, any other advice anyone might have for preparing for those first few weeks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member LaVie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    A snowglobe
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Edit: I misread your post. If you're from Florida, you should be fine.
    Last edited by LaVie; April 11th, 2014 at 12:39.
    Alternate - Washington DC

  3. #3

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Haha, Floridian huh? I'll laugh if you're dropped into the middle of Hokkaido.

    I'm from Texas myself, and it's only annoying until you get used to it.
    いいみで

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kdes23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    I'm in Okinawa. As far as heat is concerned, we're the hottest part of the country :P
    It's hot, but if you're from Florida then I think you'll be fine. Many would argue that Japan is much more conservative when it comes to using the AC. You get used to it though!

    If you get placed in Okinawa (considering you're from Florida there's a chance) then the good news is that you'll be able to wear a kariyushi and/or polo. Mind me asking, where did you request to be placed?
    Last edited by Kdes23; April 11th, 2014 at 11:44.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    The actual heat and humidity will vary from place to place. Most of Summertime Japan defines muggy, but there are exceptions. You can get a clearer idea once you know your placement.

    Polo shirts are unacceptable at my school, but I’m sure they are okay in some other schools. Your pred can tell you.. Short sleeve button ups and long sleeved shirts with rolled up sleeves seem to be my schools standard during cool biz weather. Don’t count on the air con being on in your school.

    Your first couple of days in your placement may be without good communication with the outside world. After that, you should be able to get a smart phone and be okay from there.

    You might be trotted all over town, to register in the town, register your hanko, turn on utilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    Haha, Floridian huh? I'll laugh if you're dropped into the middle of Hokkaido.

    I'm from Texas myself, and it's only annoying until you get used to it.
    I'm originally from Texas too and I was placed in the middle of Hokkaido. Couldn't have asked for a better placement! <3
    Anyways, I found Tokyo to be wickedly humid. It does get humid in Texas but it is nothing like the humidity in Tokyo. Just prepare yourself for a lot of sweating, especially if you plan on exploring the city in your down time. As far as your wardrobe, you will just have to wait and see what your pred has to say about it.
    First few weeks can be a little overwhelming (especially if you don't speak Japanese) but try to not let it get to you. Explore your city and hang with the other ALTs in your area.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Depending on how your prefecture operates, you may get the hard-sell from your local AJet reps as soon as you're in the door. We were also made to sit through a presentation from a creepy "friendship club" for local foreigners, who managed to squeeze a membership fee from a good 70% the fresh meat.

    Those were the only negatives I remember. Orientation was mostly good fun and the novelty of the first few weeks outweighed the hassle of getting set up

  8. #8
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Depending on how your prefecture operates, you may get the hard-sell from your local AJet reps as soon as you're in the door. We were also made to sit through a presentation from a creepy "friendship club" for local foreigners, who managed to squeeze a membership fee from a good 70% the fresh meat.

    Those were the only negatives I remember. Orientation was mostly good fun and the novelty of the first few weeks outweighed the hassle of getting set up
    Ugh word. Until you get a chance to get a feel for the precise nature of your local AJET and any other foreigner clubs, I'd absolutely advise that you not give anyone any money. NAJET is a bunch of crooks and arseholes; prefectural AJETs vary but should be treated with suspicion, imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  9. #9
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    It'll be cool biz when you arrive, so short sleeve button ups/sleeves rolled up and no neckties or jackets will be ok, aside from the initial orientation and meeting your BOE when you'll want to be a bit nicer. I didn't buy new clothes specially for the summer - I just leave off the tie and wear lighter material with the sleeves rolled up.

    I don't think that Japan is more conservative about using AC, but the fact that most places don't have central heating and cooking makes a difference. People tend to only use the AC in one room at a time.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    900

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    I requested Kagawa and Hyogo, because while I want a warmer climate, I was afraid Okinawa would be too far off to regularly venture off and see the rest of the country. I wouldn't complain if I ended up there though. Hokkaido, though... I debated putting on my application "prefers anywhere but Hokkaido," but figured that would not be in my best interests. Officially, I'm delighted to be placed anywhere.

    When is placement usually, anyway? Early May? Every thing I heard about the initial results was that they didn't come in until mid to late April, and wasn't I surprised to find the email 15 hours after it was sent on March 31. Maybe placement will be early too, if all the paperwork checks out?

  11. #11
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    What part of Florida are you from, OP? I think the humidity here is a bit worse than what I remember from the panhandle (Destin/Ft Walton Beach) area. I think it's about on the same level as my part of Georgia, but we tend to use our A/C more. Also my parent's house has ceiling fans to help circulate the air a bit more than the dinky little fans that you find here. I personally only use my A/C fairly rarely.

    As for clothes, I usually do polo shirts or tank tops with short sleeve cardigans and capri pants. Ladies can also get away with wearing those little lacy footie socks.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Lina77 View Post
    I'm originally from Texas too and I was placed in the middle of Hokkaido. Couldn't have asked for a better placement! <3
    You know, I love how Texans keep getting placed in Hokkaido. I've got like 3 Texans right here in the handle with me.
    いいみで

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    You know, I love how Texans keep getting placed in Hokkaido. I've got like 3 Texans right here in the handle with me.
    I think they put us here to see how long we can survive.

  14. #14
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,063

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    I would think you would find Hokkaido a little uncomfortable if you ended up there, but the rest of the country should be fine for the most part. Some parts are even quite nice in summer, not particularly humid.

    As for Polos, you'll have to wait to hear from your predecessor. In my school, they are fine. Half the male staff wears them all summer with slacks or khaki pants. So long as they are tasteful polos and aren't covered with branding from head to toe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    900

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    coop52, I'm originally from Tampa. I know from several treks through Georgia that the humidity in some places there is worse than it was where I'm from, but only enough for me to notice it.

    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I feel like all I keep doing in this whole adventure is waiting. Wait for application status, wait for interview results, and now wait for placement and predecessor info. I'm trying to prepare as much as possible, and there's so much to do.

  16. #16
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,765

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    go have a beer and wank and forget about it. The only think you need to do to prepare is shove a clean pair of y-fronts, a toothbrush and a creditcard in your pockets and jump on a plane. Everything else you can figure out when you get there.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  17. #17
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    go have a beer and wank and forget about it. The only think you need to do to prepare is shove a clean pair of y-fronts, a toothbrush and a creditcard in your pockets and jump on a plane. Everything else you can figure out when you get there.
    Gotta be real here... this is probably among the best advice evar dispensed on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  18. #18
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea of what it's going to be like for the first few weeks beyond what's in the handbook that my consulate sent me. Specifically, I'm curious about the weather. Everyone says it's hot and humid and miserable, and it's not that I don't believe them, but I was born and raised in Florida, so hot, humid, and miserable is in my veins. Miamicoordinator, or anyone else with a comparable home climate, do you have anyway of describing just how bad it is? I understand they don't have air conditioning everywhere, but I've tried to never rely too much on that anyway, and my apartment for the past four years (admittedly well north of Florida) doesn't have air conditioning either.

    I'm just worried that my short sleeve button-ups and polos might be a little too casual, but I don't want to go out and buy a whole summer wardrobe to bring with me, if it turns out that I'll be perfectly comfortable in my regular business attire.

    Also in this thread, any other advice anyone might have for preparing for those first few weeks.
    Japan is just as hot and humid as Florida in the summer, but way colder in the winter. Pray that your apartment has at least one room with a little a/c unit, or else its going to be a sweaty, uncomfortable summer.

    However, the autumn/spring temperatures are absolutely lovely. I honestly hated winter the most. Japan is not known for the insulation in their apartments. So, if its 30 degrees outsides, its 30 degrees in your apartment when you wake up in the morning. coooooooooold!

  19. #19
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    I have a buddy that lives in a mountain town in Fukushima and he said that when he goes to shower in the morning his shower is covered with frost. That sounds just awful.

    My town never gets nearly that cold, but without insulation, it feels pretty cold here too.

  20. #20
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Arriving in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I have a buddy that lives in a mountain town in Fukushima and he said that when he goes to shower in the morning his shower is covered with frost. That sounds just awful.

    My town never gets nearly that cold, but without insulation, it feels pretty cold here too.
    During the winter whenever I go to take a shit I can see my breath in the bathroom. In summer, it was 42C in the bathroom for a week or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •