Thread: Class of one

Default Class of one

This year the fifth-grade class at my smallest elementary school has only one student. I've worked with small classes before, but this is the first time I've had to teach individually. If anyone has experience tutoring I'd love to hear some ideas that worked well for you. I'm thinking that Hi, Friends won't work most of the time, so I want to try adding some longer phonics work and pronunciation practice instead.

Default Re: Class of one

I recommend games like "Snap!", "Go Fish!", and "Doubt" I had a class of 2 last year, which is actually quite different to just 1, but definitely "Go fish!" can be used with almost any grammar point or vocab you want.

I've done go fish with alphabet cards, but how do you do it with other grammar points? Did you make cards for each unit?

You can either make karuta sized cards for the vocab you want to use, or you can buy sets. I quite like the Ka-do de eigo ones that most of my schools have, they're cheap, sturdy and colourful. I think they have a website, so if you want I'll put up a link.

You can either go for "Do you have a/the/an some __?" or you can use the grammar points from the book. For example, "Sakura, do you like apples?" and if Sakura has an apple card she gives it to you, "Yes I do", if not, she says "No, I don't, go fish!" It can be used with things like "when's your birthday?" too by changing the format slightly. For example, if you think Sakura is holding the month card that you want, you can say "Sakura", then she asks "when's your birthday?" and you reply "It's in [which ever month you're collecting currently]"

I'll admit that sometimes with the grammar points it can feel a bit unrealistic, but some times I think, with such a small class/ school, there's not much you can do about it. Although, if you have a nurse, receptionist, principal and vice-prinicpal about, you can get your student to make a questionaire for them to ask using the question and answer practised in the game, or, at the start of the lesson, get the student to suggest a question they want to ask, and use that for the games and questionaire instead.

Oh, I just thought of another 2 games you can play. One is called "car race" Lay out about 12 cards in a circle on the desk between you and place one eraser on one card for you and another earser on the opposite side of the circle for the student. You then janken, and if rock wins, move the eraser 3 spaces, scissors, 2, and paper, 1, and the loser asks the winner "what's this?" or "do you like?" or "can you" or whatever grammar point you're practising. The winner answers either "It's a __" "Yes I do/No I don't" or "Yes I can/No I can't" etc. You can change the cards as they go along, and include some they don't know so they can *really* ask you "what's this?" and mean it, lol.

Another one is called "counting cards" You have a set of cards and one person says a number (or the person holding the cards can ask "how many cards (do you want)" and the other person can say "(I want) 5 cards" etc. The card holder then counts out 5 cards and same as above, asks the number caller a question related to the picture on the card, and the number caller answers.

Hope those help!

Oh, and the link for the card sets, if you want to check them out is: 404- ページが見つかりません。
    I think one set is about 500 yen or so.

Sorry, the link's gone bad. Here's a new one! 小学校教材 | 新学社

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Dude, I'd work on making and answering questions correctly if you can. It's a pretty basic skill, but using full question parrot answers from an earlier age trains a student to actually listen to everything, not just the WH word in the sentence.

You're doing it one on one, meaning you also don't need worksheets either, you can just teach it. It's soo much easier.

I'd also recommend tossing out Hi Friends grammar for the most part and focus the kid towards basic English sentence patterns. They'll learn all their grammar over again in JHS anyways. If the kid is familliar with "Who/did What/To Whom/to What/where/when", they will be able to process alot more English than their peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Ok, I don't know why those links came up in such weird fonts, but the second one definitely still works... :s

have him join the 6th grade class. hi friends 1 and 2 arent linked in any meaningful manner so hes not missing out on much and he'll have a better time doing activities with other students rather than spending 35 hours a year locked in a small room with you.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.