Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phone Situation Upon Arriving

Default Re: Phone Situation Upon Arriving

Also if you bring an unlocked iphone to a Japanese carrier they will NOT allow you to access the LTE band. Maybe this will change (docomo just came out with new plans) but as of now, if you don't get handset from them, you don't get fast data.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Bah, I just use LINE to keep in touch with my mom.
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Also if you bring an unlocked iphone to a Japanese carrier they will NOT allow you to access the LTE band. Maybe this will change (docomo just came out with new plans) but as of now, if you don't get handset from them, you don't get fast data.
    Also I'd like to add that Softbank changed their plans/billing as well. I don't know what/how it changed, but I do get their crappy notification emails...

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    {Very in-depth and useful information}
    Thanks very much for posting that! Unfortunately it's mostly Greek to me.

So I've checked the box and I have a 5s A1457 (which seems to be the model distributed in almost all of Eurasia). Now the A1453 you mentioned seems to only be available in the US/Japan and what a faff it would be to get one of those sent over before 2 August. I'm having a little trouble deciphering those charts in your second link but it looks like only one band is compatible? I don't really know enough about this to make any sort of a call on this one so what do you think?

Oh and just to clarify I don't really mind about not having 4G as long as there's enough 3G to send the usual suite of whatsapps/snapchats/facebook messages and to use google translate to explain what on Earth is going on.

If there is only one band available, coverage will be VERY spotty. Not every area with coverage has all the bands available, so there will be wide swaths of Japan where your 5s will be useless.

Save money now, get a phone when you get here. If you don't want a brand new phone, buy one from a recycle (secondhand) store - there are plenty of iPhones on the used market. Then go to a carrier and get your plan set up. It will be cheaper than trying to arrange everything before hand. Set your current coverage to end when you get here and sell your phone for a couple hundred bucks.

I've read various people post that the phone was quite expensive when they first got to japan. So does that mean there are no subsidies for ohones? Can you make monthly payments on phones? Or do I actually have to straight up buy a full price iPhone?

It depends on what deal the carriers are running. I think when I was there, SoftBank was having a promotion where a new iPhone was 5円, and the unlimited wireless deal was 5k円 a month. So all in all, not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoobyBoob View Post
    I've read various people post that the phone was quite expensive when they first got to japan. So does that mean there are no subsidies for ohones? Can you make monthly payments on phones? Or do I actually have to straight up buy a full price iPhone?
    Its Japan, there is always a 'campaign' going on. Coming at the end of summer works ok in two ways - although the campaigns will be in full swing, older model (winter model) phones will be in shorter supply - but they will be cheaper as well. Same for the iPhone - especially at Softbank. New models will be more expensive.

Generally the costs balance out like you'd seen in the US. However, instead of telling you that the plan for X phone costs $Y with data etc added, everything is pretty much flat rate and all the costs are actually listed. So instead of paying $60 a month for low tier service and getting a 'free' phone, you'll pay $20 a month for service and the phone will be broken down into 12 or 24 monthly payments added on, often bringing the cost in line with American carriers. (Note, when a Japanese phone is 'free' or '¥0' it is actually discounted, not subsidized like in the States and Canada. The difference is that if you leave after 1 year and your phone isn't paid off, they will charge you the remaining cost of the phone. (Also, only Docomo unlocks phones, and they're apparently pretty spotty about it. If you want to root a JDM Android phone, good luck!)

When you go to get your phone, you will probably have to use a credit card to set up payment/pay the first month, as you don't get paid until nearly a month in - 26th of August. You can also do conbini pay AFAIK. Once you get you IC (ATM) Card from your bank, you can have it switched over pretty easily.

When I first got here, AU let me sign up for auto-withdrawl right away, but it didn't take effect until the next month. The first month, I had to take the bill to a conbini.

AU was also ok with me making monthly payments on my phone, all three times I've gotten phones through them. The only thing they made me pay upfront for was my iPad.

Webstaa's right about the campaign thing. You can get a ton of good deals on slightly older (as in a couple of months old) phones. Plus, they might throw in stuff like a pocket wifi or cash back or coupons or something.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    When I first got here, AU let me sign up for auto-withdrawl right away, but it didn't take effect until the next month. The first month, I had to take the bill to a conbini.

AU was also ok with me making monthly payments on my phone, all three times I've gotten phones through them. The only thing they made me pay upfront for was my iPad.

Webstaa's right about the campaign thing. You can get a ton of good deals on slightly older (as in a couple of months old) phones. Plus, they might throw in stuff like a pocket wifi or cash back or coupons or something.
    Funny thing is SoftBank was totally cool with both my iPhones and my ipad being monthly withdrawal. For the first few months I was using my Canadian credit card (because I didn't have my cash card he day I signed up) and switched it to cash card a few months later. Saved me the pain of paying for the phone up front and I had a phone the second day I was at my placement (when many had to wait a week or two, or pay for their phone outright)

Au has those discount programs, SoftBank does not. At SoftBank you will never pay more than 300yen per month for the base line phone, but they do not subsidize, just discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I got a pantech sumaho for 1.5m up front, and when I cancelled my contract after a single year, all I had to pay was the 1m termination fee. So there are affordable phones to be had. I grumbled a lot about the phone, but most of my complaints would have been the same on a Galaxy.

tl;dr don't worry about phone price
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

People, don't buy "pantech" anything.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by createdtodance7 View Post
    The future is here!

Quote Originally Posted by createdtodance7 View Post
    I saw this today as well, I hope it goes through.

Also, if you want to terminate your Softbank contract now, you just pay your last bill (plus any remaining amount for the phone itself) + 1万 and you're free. It's delightful if you want to move to a carrier with real phones aside from the iPhone...

What would you guys say to the idea of selling my current device here in the US, signing up with one of the carriers (people living in Kyoto City which one is the best in the area?), and when the iPhone 6 comes out, sell the previously bought phone or trade it in (does Japan do trade-ins?).

I know it sounds like I'm being ridiculous, but bear with my materialism here.

Banned

What would you guys say to the idea of selling my current device here in the US, signing up with one of the carriers (people living in Kyoto City which one is the best in the area?), and when the iPhone 6 comes out, sell the previously bought phone or trade it in (does Japan do trade-ins?).

Oh, I sort of thought that was the conclusion you arrived at two months ago. Yeah, do that.

No way, that is smart! I just did that last year with the 5S. What carrier are you with now?

Don't forget, you can always sell your old phone to a recycle shop for a couple thousand yen. You won't get a 'fair' price for it, but its better than holding on to it. Sometimes you can get enough to pay it off (the last couple installments, if you haven't paid it off yet.)

Although I'm pretty sure you need the paperwork for the phone when you go to sell it - regs about stolen goods and all.