Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gyms in Japan

Default Gyms in Japan

I was just wondering what the situation is like in Japan. I know they have a bunch of Gold's over there, which is what I use now in the US, but what's the pricing like? What about more local spots? Their facilities, the equipment, etc. How is all of it? What weight do the dumbbells go up to?

I'm sure this is something that depends on the city/area, but I'd still be grateful if I could get a response from people that have a bit of knowledge on the subject. I'm also trying to figure out monthly costs that I will have while living there. Thanks

Default Re: Gyms in Japan

Yeah, it really depends. In my city of 70k we're lucky enough to have 4 "gyms" (there are no standalone gyms where I am except for the 7000/mo one). When you sign up for a gym you have to sign up to attend an information session (at set times) where they explain the equipment. In the 3 gyms I've checked out here only 1 session was run by someone with actual athletic knowledge. Because it's Japan you'll need inside gym shoes for wherever you go.

The one I go to is 200 a visit (if you pay the 2000/mo membership fee, only payable in 3/6/12 month chunks; otherwise it's 500). It includes a pool and onsen that are included (if you get the membership). The gym itself is small: 3 treadmills that go over 8kmh, then there's 4 more that only go up to 8kmh. They have two old stationary bikes and some weight machines as well. My place doesn't have big dumbbells, just smaller free weights but I don't use them enough to know how big they are. Open 10 (11 on holiays?) until 9pm but you have to leave the gym by 8:30. They have 1 day off a month. I haven't gone in 6 months because there aren't enough machines but there's nothing better than working your ass off and then getting into an onsen.

There's another one near me that's a flat 200/visit (500 if you want to use the pool), it's attached to an athletic complex. They have 2 treadmills, four stairmasters, free weights and a lot of weight machines. This one also has small free weights and no big dumbbells. Open until 10pm and closed on Mondays.

The only one that has OK equipment is 7000 a month. They have the only ellipticals that I've seen in the city (just 2, though). Some treadmills, free weights, weight machines, and dumbbells. No idea about hours.

There's another one that's just part of an athletic complex but I've never been to it because it's too small and far. I'm not sure of their hours or fees.
    Last edited by Page; April 20th, 2014 at 08:36.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

My situation with the gym is a lot like how Page described hers. My town is much smaller population wise, but is very spread out. The two gyms are about half hour drive from each other. There's also a time limit for machines (especially if it's busy). The one I'm most familiar with, it's 1000yen a visit (which includes onsen and pool and gym room) or you can pay 500yen if you pay the monthly 9k membership. In the gym room, there are 6 bikes and 2 treadmills and a little weight bench.

In my area, the local city ones are nicer, but more expensive to get to/use. Larger cities (Sendai, Osaka, etc) will have Gold's Gyms, too.

I've also known other JETs to just buy equipment. I can think of at least two who have treadmills, but I'm sure there are more. You can buy a folding elliptical or treadmill for about 4man. When you consider gym membership here, it might be worth it. Although, ditto Page. Onsen after working out is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Seems a bit expensive to me. I go to the gym 5 days a week so that would be 500円 a visit plus the 9000円 monthly membership? 19000円 a month?? I'm currently spoiled by this gym that opened a year ago near me. I only pay $10 a month at the moment.

The 6000円 from Page's situation sounds a lot more... average. But still expensive in comparison.

Jiggit's 4000円 a year sounds very compelling though! How'd you manage that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsabird; April 21st, 2014 at 02:17.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Mine is just a weight room attached to the community sports center. Where your kids and other schools do club activities. But it has a treadmill, weights, racks and benches and if you need something else you're probably exercising wrong.

Edit: Also wtf is up with gyms that charge you membership plus for every visit? No idea how you can accept that. The commercial gym I was going to for a while just charged membership and that was that, so it doesn't seem like it's the norm even for Japan.

My community weight room is 100 yen a visit without membership and go whenever with membership. If you really want to get fit you can do it there. 9000 yen membership + 500 per shot just for an onsen is ridiculous.

Hell you can just work out at your school if you don't mind the kids, your school probably has a "training room".

Yeah, same as page around here. Decided to get into body weight training instead. I might start checking out my towns community centers.
    Last edited by jwkelley; April 21st, 2014 at 08:32.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Yeah, same as page around here. Decided to get into body weight training instead. I might start checking out my towns community centers.
    It'll be called the 体育館 or 武道館 probably.

Thanks for all the responses, guys! Along with these posts, I've been doing my own bit of research on the web and it seems like half-decent gyms are so much more expensive than American, but I guess that's just one of those shouganai things.

A little about my own style: I love bodyweight training so I know I will be fine when it comes to that. Pull-ups, muscle-ups, chin-ups, etc. Love that stuff. The problem is that I also LOVE weight training. Free weight training. This is what I'm worried about the most. I will have days when I'm benching 155 lbs. for 5 sets of 15 reps each, but then a heavy day where I use 100 lbs dumbbells on dumbbell bench.

This is why I'm thinking that I'll probably choose a Gold's Gym if there is one near wherever I am placed. Of course, this is me just saying stuff without knowing anything, but I like having a plan/idea even though it's not really based on anything lol.

Hopefully there is a more affordable option that will at least somewhat meet my requirements (desires?), but until then, I still appreciate the responses with prices and all that!

most places will have a set of interchangeable dumbbells you can stack up to 100lbs without any trouble. its a pain in the arse fannying around with the collars but better than having to travel vast distances.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I should clarify that by my city I mean the city that my town is in. My town of 5k actually has no gym so I drive a half hour to the one I go to! There are 4 gyms in the city (4/10 towns) but the city takes about an hour to get across. You'll have options even in rural placements but you may have to drive.
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

My gym acts kind of like a social club. I dunno how other people like to work out, but it throws me off. I don't want to feel alone and foreign when I'm trying to exercise. I like the atmosphere of everyone doing their best for themselves- which is the atmosphere in every non-japan gym I've been to. This one feels more like somewhere you go to meet up with your friends and maybe have a yoga class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    most places will have a set of interchangeable dumbbells you can stack up to 100lbs without any trouble. its a pain in the arse fannying around with the collars but better than having to travel vast distances.
    Hope that's the case! I'd be totally fine with a hole in the wall spot that had just the necessities.

And Jiggit, I agree. I can't believe they'd charge you monthly and then every visit. That seems insane.

Scooby, if you get placed anywhere near Shizuoka I know a guy that can do you some roids for cheap(ish). He'll post them on if need be.

No thanks lol, just let me know where I can get some protein so I don't have to order online and do international shipping! lol

the mods?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I ordered it online. If you figure out where to buy it, I'd like to know, too.
    いいみで

seriously? have you even tried to look? you can find it in any drug store/sports store

Yeah, I see it at every Xebio in my area but to be honest I've never looked too closely so I don't know if it's filled with a bunch of other junk, too, or not.
    Last edited by Page; April 24th, 2014 at 15:19.

I haven't tried. Next time I hit the city, I'll give it a gander.
    いいみで