Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gyms in Japan

Default Re: Gyms in Japan

so we can add it to cheese, bacon and the other million things people like to claim you "cant buy in japan"
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    so we can add it to cheese, bacon and the other million things people like to claim you "cant buy in japan"

Why not. It'll necro the thread. And then people will come in with evidence/claims to the contrary. Fun times all around.

You guys have been specifying a lot of free weights, I assume they are mostly dumbbells? I'm applying to JET next year, are there any gyms out in mostly rural placements, as I assume that's where I'm going to placed. Currently, I go the gym an average of 5-6 days a week, and I do PT 7 days a week. I'm 6 even, and 230lbs, do you guys think I'll be able to keep growing or at least maintain my size in Japan, or am I going to have submit to losing some weight.

I believe it's been said before, but practically every town has a community center. That's your best bet, honestly. Also, if you can get together with the baseball team, you may be able to train with them.
    いいみで

My town's really small but if I drive about 50 minutes away there is a convention center/gym which has a "training room/トレニングルーム" in it. It took me a while to find this place because whenever I asked people about a "gym/ジム" people would say something like, "Yeah, right. We don't have any gyms in these small towns". So, maybe try asking for training rooms if there aren't any gyms around.

There is a really good free gym 10 mins down the road from me, but it's only for people who live in the town and outsiders must fork-out a hefty thirty yen usage fee. There is also one directly in front of my apartment that costs 4000 yen a month which is really awful. I pick the free one and I have no idea how the 4000 yen one is still in business.

Don't forget the Japanese belief that if something costs more, it is immediately higher quality.
    ...because Japan.

a higher class of clientele and not as crowded?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Some schools will be cool with you using the kids work out room during your free periods. (At one school the PE teacher worked out with me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Some schools will be cool with you using the kids work out room during your free periods. (At one school the PE teacher worked out with me)
    Be careful about abusing this, though. One of the ALTs in my town spent every free period working out, and wasn't the best about making sure he didn't stink of sweat. His school was not happy.
    ...because Japan.

I'm in one of the least populated prefectures in Japan in a town of roughly 45,000 but I am lucky enough to have a great gym within a 3 min bike ride. The cost is 310 yen per visit and there are 3 racks with standard weights, a full set of dumbbells, and various machines and treadmills. In addition, because they held an えんかい held for the members, I was able to meet most of the regulars and the atmosphere became really chill. Some of the Japanese guys who go there are seriously strong and they will offer advice or tell me about local events.

I'm fortunate though because I have heard of gyms in cities much larger than mine with run down amenities and much higher prices. That or you might have to commute a half hour or so.

Do you work out pretty seriously? Most of the people at my gym import protein and other supplements because the quality here is meh and price is way higher, so it is another thing to think about.

I've just been placed in Shizuoka-ken (actual city/town tbd) and was curious about any boxing, muay thai, or kick boxing gyms in the prefecture. Are these popular in the area? I've been boxing for 2 years and have done a few amateur fights, so i'd love to be able to keep up with it or even try some muay thai or kick boxing if possible. thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Any place above 50k people will mostly likely have some kind of boxing, MMA, or kick boxing. Sometimes its a full gym which will allow full contact, sometimes its just a karate dojo running boxing a few times a week. Learn to search for the stuff in Japanese, you will a lot find more options.

If you get placed in the Inaka keep an eye on the local budakans and ask around. Its not uncommon for X fighters to retire and open up in gyms in random spots.

Most MMA places will split their time between stand up and grappling. They normally don't mind people skipping one half.

Here is stuff to search for
    ボクシング Boxing
    キックボクシング kick boxing
    ムエタイ muay thai

総合格闘技(そうごうかくとうぎ)mma
    シュートボクシング shoot boxing

http://xn--pckcuf0p2a4k.jp/shizuoka/
    Last edited by jwkelley; May 20th, 2014 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Any place above 50k people will mostly likely have some kind of boxing, MMA, or kick boxing. Sometimes its a full gym which will allow full contact, sometimes its just a karate dojo running boxing a few times a week. Learn to search for the stuff in Japanese, you will a lot find more options.

If you get placed in the Inaka keep an eye on the local budakans and ask around. Its not uncommon for X fighters to retire and open up in gyms in random spots.

Most MMA places will split their time between stand up and grappling. They normally don't mind people skipping one half.

Here is stuff to search for
    ボクシング Boxing
    キックボクシング kick boxing
    ムエタイ muay thai

総合格闘技(そうごうかくとうぎ)mma
    シュートボクシング shoot boxing

http://xn--pckcuf0p2a4k.jp/shizuoka/
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoobyBoob View Post
    No thanks lol, just let me know where I can get some protein so I don't have to order online and do international shipping! lol
    iherb.com does have some protein depending on what you want. And the shipping is actually incredibly cheap, you can order with your own country's credit card, and it gets here fast. Also, about the gyms, I've only seen one person mention using the schools' if you're at one. There's a JET in town who asked to use the gym after school, and they were totally cool with that. Also, you can often find training rooms attached to the 'sports gyms' people have mentioned where kids do all their sports. Mine here is only 100 yen an hour, and they have all your basic stuff including a squat rack, smith machine, free weights. And definitely enough to meet the needs of what you're talking about. Otherwise you will be paying about 6,000-7,000 a month, even at your typical run of the mill gyms. It might get busy at certain times, but waiting around is way more worth 100 yen an hour than 6,000 yen a month.