Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying to Interac from within Japan

Default Applying to Interac from within Japan

Is there anyone on here who has applied to Interac while already residing in Japan? I'm currently on my third year of JET but decided not to recontract because I wish to move to Yokohama/Tokyo. I applied to Interac for their fall period but I haven't heard back as yet, what's the timeline process for applicants in Japan?

Default Re: Applying to Interac from within Japan

I applied my first year while on JET, and I heard back almost instantly (same day) from when I put in my application to have an interview scheduled for the Yokohama area. I'd try to follow up with them if you haven't heard anything yet. I caught pneumonia, though, during the week I was going to interview and ended up staying on JET (I was going to break contract). Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by artpop View Post
    Is there anyone on here who has applied to Interac while already residing in Japan? I'm currently on my third year of JET but decided not to recontract because I wish to move to Yokohama/Tokyo. I applied to Interac for their fall period but I haven't heard back as yet, what's the timeline process for applicants in Japan?
    It's going to take a while for them to respond as thy have just had a wave of applications from JET rejections/alternates. They will get back to you soon

Definitely follow up with them.

I applied early in the second week of April, and then waited until the end of last week to reach out to them, only to get an e-mail that was essentially "We've been trying to contact you, do you want to continue with the application process or not?"

I'm not sure what the problem was, but things could have gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by desudesudesu View Post
    Definitely follow up with them.

I applied early in the second week of April, and then waited until the end of last week to reach out to them, only to get an e-mail that was essentially "We've been trying to contact you, do you want to continue with the application process or not?"

I'm not sure what the problem was, but things could have gone bad.
    They contacted me the next day. But I put off the interview date until tomorrow. And lo and behold... I get sick the day before. Niece and nephew gave me a violent bug that's going around... Hopefully I'm all better by early tomorrow!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    They contacted me the next day. But I put off the interview date until tomorrow. And lo and behold... I get sick the day before. Niece and nephew gave me a violent bug that's going around... Hopefully I'm all better by early tomorrow!

I'm sure all will be well!
    My phone interview is early next week, but Floridian allergy season has me sounding sick all day every day. Thankfully I have a job where I'm on the phone the whole time, so I can contort my voice to sound decent.

Best of luck with your interview! You'll feel better soon, I trust :-) Here's to potentially seeing you at the next group interview seminar in Orlando? Unless JET upgrades occur, of course.
    miamiami alternate.mi altmiami alternate.emiami alternate.rnamiami alternate.te.miami alternate.
    upgraded 5/19
    Tokyo placement - SHS

Quote Originally Posted by desudesudesu View Post
    Here's to potentially seeing you at the next group interview seminar in Orlando? Unless JET upgrades occur, of course.
    Definitely. Where did you apply from for JET? I live in the tricounty, so going to the interview and turning stuff in was easy as pie.

⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    It's going to take a while for them to respond as thy have just had a wave of applications from JET rejections/alternates. They will get back to you soon
    If you apply from Japan, the process is different, and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take a while for them to contact you since it's someone directly from the area you are applying for who contacts you, not someone who deals with the international side.

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post

Did you apply from within Japan as well?

The thing is they contacted me in late February (before I even applied, which was weird) with an April start date in mind but I told them that I actually wanted to start in September because that's when my contract ends. So they said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything and I assumed they'd be all done with April arrivals by now and focusing on fall recruits. Maybe I'm just impatient lol but my visa is due to expire soon and all that jazz so I'm a bit anxious. It seems like most persons overseas usually get contacted pretty quickly so I was wondering if it was the same for those of us already here.
    Last edited by artpop; April 23rd, 2014 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by artpop View Post
    Did you apply from within Japan as well?

The thing is they contacted me in late February (before I even applied, which was weird) with an April start date in mind but I told them that I actually wanted to start in September because that's when my contract ends. So they said they would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything and I assumed they'd be all done with April arrivals by now and focusing on fall recruits. Maybe I'm just impatient lol but my visa is due to expire soon and all that jazz so I'm a bit anxious. It seems like most persons overseas usually get contacted pretty quickly so I was wondering if it was the same for those of us already here.
    I applied from the US, so I don't know about the people already in Japan. They said the positions they were hiring were for early fall, so August, September they said.

Had the phone interview and now I have to go to the next information session for the in-person interview and the demonstration. Still hoping for a JET upgrade though.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I can't speak specifically for interac but I know when my friend got hired by random contractor x last month they were ecstatic that we was in Japan. He applied and had the job that week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I can't speak specifically for interac but I know when my friend got hired by random contractor x last month they were ecstatic that we was in Japan. He applied and had the job that week.
    I think this is actually pretty common. Having a visa already opens doors and actually makes you more employable (even if it is for the ALT gig) and is cheaper than finding someone outside the country.

In the UK, how long does it take to get a response from Tokyo? I had my interview on 11th of April, my lecturers told me last week that they had been approached for references which they provided, so im just waiting for confirmation. Anyone know an eta for me?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    In the UK, how long does it take to get a response from Tokyo? I had my interview on 11th of April, my lecturers told me last week that they had been approached for references which they provided, so im just waiting for confirmation. Anyone know an eta for me?
    I think this is the wrong thread for you, because this thread pertains to domestic applicants. Domestic applicants go through a slightly different process in comparison to those overseas.

And, commenting here, because it's relevant. I just submitted an email to the Yokohama Interac branch and have already been sent an email offering an interview, all within 30min after I hit send. If you still haven't heard anything, Artpop, I'd call.

And, commenting here, because it's relevant. I just submitted an email to the Yokohama Interac branch and have already been sent an email offering an interview, all within 30min after I hit send. If you still haven't heard anything, Artpop, I'd call.
    Coincidentally I was just about to provide an update lol. I made contact with a recruiter and they've scheduled a face-to-face interview in the next couple of weeks at the Yokohama branch. Are you looking for a September start date as well Lianwen?

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Lol, yup. The woman was really nice. You're supposed to only apply for one branch, but the woman told me that if they can't find me a position through the Yokohama branch, she'll put me in for the Osaka branch <3 My interview is next weekish, via Skype.

I'm amazed at how understanding they are about the visa.

Did she give any indication that there would be a shortage of Yokohama placements? I hope not cuz that's the only place I wanna go lol, I have no second or third choices.

Not really. She asked me where I wanted to live, Yokohama or Osaka. I didn't really have a preference since at this point I'm flexible, but Yokohama would probably be preferable. I don't think she was really asking because there's a shortage of placements, but more for consideration on what my top choice would be.

I'm not really sure what to expect for an interview, but this visa expiration date is causing a bit of a headache. I hope when I go to renew I get another 3year visa. I don't think I can do this all over again next year if I need to change jobs/don't get placed in Interac.

Yes I def feel you on the visa issue, I'm antsy about it as well because I don't want to be cutting it too close but they didn't seem bothered by it when I mentioned it so I guess we'll have enough time. As for the interview did she send you a guideline? The recruiter sent me a list of tasks that I'd have to complete (grammar test, demo lesson etc). It seems pretty close to the overseas interviews.