View Poll Results: Should i go for JET or Interac?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • JET

9 64.29%
  • Interac

5 35.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JET advice needed

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: JET advice needed

Fourth year is... Not that difficult? If you are good at your job as a teacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Most municipal ALTs in my prefecture say that they are usually offered another year. The people that seem to have a harder time are prefectural ALT's looking to transfer into the municipal system because they have a three year limit.

In our prefecture it's the municipal ALTs who can't stay more than 3 years often and they have to transfer to prefectural. Does one of us have their terms confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    In our prefecture it's the municipal ALTs who can't stay more than 3 years often and they have to transfer to prefectural. Does one of us have their terms confused?
    Probably not. Each BoE, prefectural or municipal, is a rule unto themselves. Where I am, both can stay up to five years.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I am positive. Two prefectural ALT's are transferring to BOE's because of the limit. One girl is moving to Hiroshima because of the limit too.

Yeah, there are no streamlined rules so it depends on each BOE how long ALTs stay, where they get their ALTs, etc..

It's not really hard to go to 5 years if you want to stay (unless you get someone who just likes rotating ALTs in an out). It was a little difficult for me but that was a special situation (my city was 3 years only until I came, lots of back and forth between the prefectural office and my city BOE before I got the OK). I was honestly worried that I'd be kicked out in favor of new ALTs with lower salary that don't require their taxes be paid for them but I guess convenience won out (and the fact that paying the cost of our flights, keio plaza stay, and other thing probably ends up evening out the costs).
    Last edited by Page; May 1st, 2014 at 11:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Most municipal ALTs in my prefecture say that they are usually offered another year. The people that seem to have a harder time are prefectural ALT's looking to transfer into the municipal system because they have a three year limit.
    Interesting. What is the difference between the two? So, all things being equal, there are just some placements who don't want their ALTs to do a full 5 years? I think it'd make more sense to be up front about it...do they really make some people write...essays? I suppose it's not so bad if the ALT wants to stay and can be transferred somewhere else.
    Last edited by Corvus; May 1st, 2014 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Interesting. What is the difference between the two? So, all things being equal, there are just some placements who don't want their ALTs to do a full 5 years? I think it'd make more sense to be up front about it...do they really make some people write...essays? I suppose it's not so bad if the ALT wants to stay and can be transferred somewhere else.
    Prefectural ALTs work for the prefecture and teach in senior high schools. Municipal alts work for city BOEs and teach primarily at junior high schools.

In my Prefecture, prefectural ALTs have a hard cap of three years, but can transfer. The application criteria seem completely based on work reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I heard places like Kobe and Sendai are a lot more strict in their 4/5 year alts than many places.

Like page said, the cost of replacing the alt is a concern for a boe, and if they can defer that cost some will actually do it rather than replace the useless alt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.