Thread: Culture class

Default Culture class

I have to teach about American culture once a week to each class at my elementary school. I know, I know, there's no such thing as American culture. Therein lies the problem. I should probably start by introducting America to them, but I don't know how.

Ideas?

Grrr!!!! I hate it when people put down their own culture! It's almost as bad as saying that Asian culture is more 'real'.

Anyway, hope this is of some help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_culture
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I think there is an American culture.

It is very broad but I think there is one.
    America has many sub-cultures but then so does every country.

For example in the UK people living in Newcastle are often very different to toffee nosed toffs from Henley Upon Thames. Or working class culture is different to upper class culture but there are common ties that can be called British.

They have a different regional culture but there are aspects of national culture that are pretty general and can be found throughout.

For elementary kids it will have to be very visual and pretty shallow like American sports, foods, Hollywood, etc.

From travelling and studying about cultures all over the world, and from living here, I have really learned a lot about my American culture. I was raised in the south and have also come to appreciate it. You should think of how different Japan and your home are and try to highlight those things. There are many aspects you can choose from, the price of groceries is actually quite fascinating if you make a guessing game out of it and I played it with the 4, 5 and 6 graders and they are just starting to realize the worth of a yen so they found it interesting, even the teacher and the principal were interested and asked me questions about it after the class was over. I used a power point with scans of pictures from a grocery paper. They also got a chance to see what kind of food we eat. If you have the money you can even make brownies, but be careful because some schools might not like that. You can even show pictures of you house and cars and clips from cartoons. If you have a laptop, it can be a great resource, if not just print out some pictures. Also games that you play in English are fun; duck duck goose, monkey man gun, and stuff. I have to go now, but I can add more later.

For elementary, playground games and chants are fun. Just think about the stuff you did in the playground as a kid and teach them a couple. These are all things from our cultures that children will be interested in. (It is difficult to think of our own lifestyle as a culture but it is, wherever it may come from originally!)

How about clapping games and chants, elastics (where you tie an elastic around the legs of two children and one jumps it in a pattern while saying a chant "Ingle angle, silver spangle, inside, outside, inside out" springs to mind, although there were more interesting ones than that!
    Also skipping rope chants.

Games like stuck in the mud, duck duck goose, one potato two potato, what's the time mr wolf, submarines etc. Of course these may be British games (maybe American/Canadian/ Australian too - cross over of cultures!) but you can think of your own.

If you are musical, songs you used to sing as a kid would be wonderful.

If you are not restrained to teaching language you can do so much more! I am jealous! I'll swap you my JHSs!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.