Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth it?

Default Re: Worth it?

You can always to back to school after - go start your masters after having paid off some of you loans.

I'll probably be going back to school after JET. I'm working on finishing a few tech certifications and then I'll probably be going back for a masters. It helps that the low CoL on JET has helped significantly in paying off my loans.

Aimlessly wandering through this meandering existence.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    You can always to back to school after - go start your masters after having paid off some of you loans.
    I'm fortunate, I don't have any loans; I paid them off through various means. So I'm already ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I really don't think it will be too difficult for you to spend 2 years in Japan and go back to a nice job. Your skill set is still going to be in high demand in the near future.

Hell, I bet you could easily get a decent job in your field in Tokyo if you wanted to.
    True, It won't be at all difficult for me to land a job after JET (more than likely). I could work for my Uncle, as a last resort, he owns a fairly large consulting company out of Charleston. I already have a fairly sizable investment portfolio. I thought about applying to a job at Microsoft, they're routinely hiring people with my skill set in their Japanese branch.

We'll see where the wind takes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Your uncle owns a host bar?
    Keep that on the DL.
    Last edited by RoflCopter; August 7th, 2014 at 02:25.

Quote Originally Posted by RoflCopter View Post
    I'm fortunate, I don't have any loans; I paid them off through various means. So I'm already ahead of the game. .
    Various means? Teach me your ways...

I'm a slave to my student loans.

So much so that I was debating packing up all my worldly possessions (which aren't many), moving to southern Thailand (cheap booze and "massages"), opening up a crappy dive bar (for dumb western backpackers) and/or a boxing gym (again for dumb westerners), and hiding from the federal government for the rest of my life (because I am admittably a dumb westerner at heart).
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    Various means? Teach me your ways...
    The question is .. how ballsy are you?

I'm a slave to my student loans.
    Indentured servant - Get it right.

So much so that I was debating packing up all my worldly possessions (which aren't many), moving to southern Thailand (cheap booze and "massages"), opening up a crappy dive bar (for dumb western backpackers) and/or a boxing gym (again for dumb westerners), and hiding from the federal government for the rest of my life (because I am *admittedly (Corrected)* a dumb westerner at heart).
    What's stopping you? If that's your dream then do it! But remember, Obama signed an act that makes it legal to kill U.S. Citizens without a trial. (NDAA)

Do you have healthcare? If not the IRS may come and kill you.

Property ownership laws in Thailand are set up in such a way as to prevent dumb westerners from fully owning sh*tty beach bars or any other businesses. If they weren't, Thailand would be chock-full of dumb westerners. Have you ever noticed the sort of people who own bars and hotels and stuff in Thailand? Mostly young-to-middle-aged semi-attractive divorced Thai women. There's a reason for this: dumb westerners.
    Last edited by word; August 11th, 2014 at 14:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

heres a non bullshit anectdote.

I graduated with dual degrees in chemical engineering and chemistry. said fuck the internship and went to japan to travel alone for five weeks that summer while everyone else was schlepping it at oil and gas refineries.

applied to jet straight out of college, got in. did jet for two years before jumping ship to a nice private eikaiwa that treated me very well the third year. left japan after 3+ years for one reason and one reason only - to pay my dues and use my degrees before they expired to give me the option of returning to japan permanently with a real career. In a tough job market with no experience, no internship, and 3+ years of doing something that had NOTHING to do with my field of study (and believe me - nobody in the application/interview processes for engineering upon return gave a SHIT that i worked abroad since it was unrelated), i still managed to land a baller job in oil and gas safety and risk management consulting - within three months of setting foot on US soil.

you already have experience, and the economy is better, so playing for a couple years will not matter at all. On top of that, with an IT background, you could easilyish segue into the non-teaching market in japan after your language skills are there.
    13,000 posts and doesn't do O-ramas

Banned

Do your employers know that you're a bro?

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    doesn't matter when you kick ass at your job, does it?
    13,000 posts and doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I love the "bro" hate on ITIL when these "haters" are making threads about playing magic the gathering and DD.

Personally, I don't want to be represented by either group. And I never hear J-girls / J-people saying that Otaku/nerds are kakoii....however, I hear them saying it about jock/bro/sports types all the type. To me it just comes across as being jealous, when you pasties call someone a bro.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I love the "bro" hate on ITIL when these "haters" are making threads about playing magic the gathering and DD.

Personally, I don't want to be represented by either group. And I never hear J-girls / J-people saying that Otaku/nerds are kakoii....however, I hear them saying it about jock/bro/sports types all the type. To me it just comes across as being jealous, when you pasties call someone a bro.
    Hear, hear!

Banned

I've seen no Bro hate, nor any DD(?) or Magic threads. Is that all happening in the super secret forum?

Speaking of Magic, i'm glad i don't do that one, i never knew there were so many cards for it out here....
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Speaking of Magic, i'm glad i don't do that one, i never knew there were so many cards for it out here....
    The... Same amount as other countries, surely? Or am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

What i mean is, Japan has more sets, often the ratio is something like 6 Japan to about 4 ROTW. And the new sets come out here first.

I have also never seen dedicated shops to just magic before.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Don't let anyone tell you JET is a "waste" or not worth it if you are really serious about your career and all that.

Unless you are in some sort of super-specialized field that wouldn't allow for you to take a year or two, it's not going to matter all that much.

I remember coming home when the economy was still rather crappy and the returning conference and general climate among returning JETs was that we were all screwed. I came home and got a job making the same salary that I was on JET within about a month.

I just quit said job actually and am fully expecting to have a better one within the next month or so.

You aren't going to live forever and if you spend your life taking the safe route you'll probably regret it in the end.