Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the smallest JHS you've taught at?

Default What's the smallest JHS you've taught at?

Just wondering what the smallest ones are out there.

I taught at a 36 student one, it was in a fairly big town, 250,000 people or so and was only about 20 minute drive from downtown, but was pretty rural out there. Anyone else?

Default Re: What's the smallest JHS you've taught at?

I taught at an ES with less than 40 kids, but the smallest class I've taught was a single kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

My smallest JHS is 30 kids. We actually got twice as many first years this year, so that was fun. Last year we were just over 20. My smallest class is 8 kids. The town is very small though, and has 4 JHS for a populateion of 20k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

In my first year, I taught at a JHS with 5 students. Class sizes were 2, 2, and 1 and the school had the full complement of teachers. They closed it at the end of the year and merged it with the JHS in the next town over, which is also a tiny school with a grand total of 37 kids.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Smallest JHS was 6 (3 1st graders, 2 2nd, 1 3rd), smallest ES was 4 (2 1st and 2 6th) and smallest yochien was 1.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

5 (I think) but it's the spec-ed school and this was the hearing impaired side. They were divided into grade 7 + 8 (3-4?), and 9(2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

My smallest JHS is 8 kids, and my smallest ES is 10
    ES and JHS ALT

Not me, but my predecessor taught at 5 ES (in a town of around 8,000) and 3 JHS. When they combined the JHS they got only 2組 for each grade. The ES combined just over a year ago and the smallest had 6 students and 9 staff in the school...

Smallest JHS is around 300 or so kids but my smallest class is today with 2 kids.

This year I have one ES where the 5th grade class is only 4 students - there are probably about 30 kids in the whole school so next year it is being merged with the school down the road (which is also pretty small) - That should be good for the kids though, gives them a chance to make more friends and hang out with more people from their area daily.

My smallest school has just shy of 400 students and my smallest class as 31 kids.

My largest school has 800 students and is expected to have more than 1,000 in two years. It will be the largest JHS in my prefecture.

A growing school in Japan, I don't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    A growing school in Japan, I don't believe it.
    Easily happens when the other JHS's around it close or people move to the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Not me, but my predecessor taught at 5 ES (in a town of around 8,000) and 3 JHS. When they combined the JHS they got only 2組 for each grade. The ES combined just over a year ago and the smallest had 6 students and 9 staff in the school...
    I was at a single JHS for the whole year (a few subs when JHS was closed), and the whole school was 200 kids, 2 classes per grade. I went to every 2nen class, and 3 of the 4 1nen and 3nen classes per week. Mostly standing there, but.......
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Default What's the smallest JHS you've taught at?

My town has a huge Hitachi factory and very large natural gas refinery. There is another factory on top of that too. So basically, there are good jobs here and the city is slowly growing. Likewise with the city next door.

That being said, on the Sea of Japan side of the prefecture, the schools are dwindling away just like a lot of places (except for Shimonoseki).

Though, I expect a lot of our school's growth actually has something to do with the neighbouring cities working out a deal to send their kids here. That's the only thing that would explain a jump in 200 students in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by johnny; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:37.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I teach at a couple of big(gish) schools, but I also have a number of tiny mountain schools waaaaaay out in the boonies. Last year, my smallest JHS had a grand total of two kids. Both of them graduated in April, and with nobody to replace them (the next oldest kid in 'town' was third grade elementary), both the ES and JHS ended up closing. Smallest school in the prefecture when I first came on JET; last year, though, a friend of mine had a school with literally one single student in it after his senpai graduated, so I think that probably takes the cake. I've heard that they've since put policies in place in the ken stating that there have to be at least 25 students for a school to remain open, and a lot of small schools like those ended up closing at the end of last year. I definitely understand the economic reasons for doing so, but damn, that was a fun school to teach at! Lesson planning is totally different with two kids instead of twenty! (Although during flu season, sometimes you'll show up and the entire student population will be home sick. #smallschoolproblems)

So far my JHS have been "medium" sized, in the 300-500 range, but my elementary schools have varied. My largest was over 1,000 students and my smallest was 91 students. But I think they're planning to shut down that small school and merge it with another elementary school soon.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

one of my visit ele schools is only 45kids. Why on earth would they keep a JHS under 100 students open? such a waste of resources
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

11. 11 students. At an entire school, with a full gym, tennis courts... 11.

It was my favourite school to visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

I have a bit under 150 at mine.
    いいみで