Thread: Question about Taxes/Forms (Kansai Gaidai)

Default Question about Taxes/Forms (Kansai Gaidai)

Hey, sorry to bother everyone!

I'm a shortlist candidate and I was working on the forms when I came across a small hurdle; I'm graduating this year, and I haven't made enough in the last two years to justify filing taxes.

But, I also realized as I was filling out the 8802 form that I didn't apply because I thought I didn't make enough, but that I had left a scholarship from KGU out of my calculations.

Does anybody who went to KGU have any advice? Did y'all factor the scholarship into your tax returns?

Banned

Default Re: Question about Taxes/Forms (Kansai Gaidai)

From what I recall of my own Uni experience, scholarships are taxable income, and you should file if it brings your gross income amount over the minimum ($10,000, I think). You may qualify for a credit for school anyway to balance it out.

That's not relevant to the taxes that are going to be filed on your future income though, which is what the 8802 is regarding. I'm confused what you mean when you said you didn't apply: Didn't apply for the 8802, or something on it didn't apply to you? I'm not exactly sure how the taxes work with income generated stateside in the half year before we leave, but you definitely will be generating enough income in 2014 to have to file your taxes regardless. Any previous income should be irrelevant to the forms we're filling out now.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Question about Taxes/Forms (Kansai Gaidai)

Call the IRS for a question like this. It is best to get the information directly from them.