Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will we hear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How will we hear?

Back in the old days of 2001, I remember arriving home one day in May to a big white envelope containing a letter in broken English and some pamphlets about what was to be my new town in Japan. Judging from my experience this second time around, information is distributed differently these days (phone calls and emails were unheard of my first time through).

So his do most people hear about their placement (for prefectural JETs - how did you hear about which prefecture you'd be in). Was it a call/email from the coordinator? An email or letter from your prefecture/ contracting organization?

What should I be watching out for in a couple of weeks?!

Thanks!

Default Re: How will we hear?

I heard by email first. My BoE supervisor (now the BoE jimu) sent me an email in okay-ish English (she knows how to use a denki jisho.) Then my pred. sent me an email. Then I got a package with the town magazine and tourist information/map and transition manual.

Ah thanks! So in essence, we'll likely hear directly from Japan. I wonder if email is the way they all go, or if ESID here too.

Thanks again!!! Can't wait to hear more experiences!

These days you will hear from your coordinator about your placement then you send in another set of approval paperwork so they know if anyone is backing out.
    If you are prefectural you will then be handed off to the prefecture who then find you a placement within the prefecture, it took them 1 month for mine.
    If you are local you will find out your placement immediately and will need to wait to hear from the local BOE.
    In almost all cases it will be via email except for your contract which will be mailed to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklostinred View Post
    These days you will hear from your coordinator about your placement then you send in another set of approval paperwork so they know if anyone is backing out.
    If you are prefectural you will then be handed off to the prefecture who then find you a placement within the prefecture, it took them 1 month for mine.
    If you are local you will find out your placement immediately and will need to wait to hear from the local BOE.
    In almost all cases it will be via email except for your contract which will be mailed to you.
    Sorry, could you explain the difference between local hiring and prefectural hiring? Maybe I'm missing something...if so, I'm terribly sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Randomgirl, are you out of Vancouver? If so, it should happen just like Jack said it would. You'll hear from Steve about your placement, and then two to six weeks later you'll hear from your BOE or prefecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Thanks, Johnny! That really helps!!! Yup I'm from vancouver! You?

Yeah, I'm from the North Shore. I lived in the Lonsdale area, so I only had to catch the Seabus to get to the Japanese classes and pre-departure seminars.

You probably haven't met him yet, but Steve is a super nice guy. One thing he told us is that you shouldn't be afraid to email the consulate with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Johnny, I have had the pleasure if getting to know Steve in the years since I've been back (I'm a second-timer) and you are right, he's an awesome guy! We are lucky to have him as our coordinator!!! What year did you leave? I might have met you at previous years' predeparture orientations! Awesome that there are so many people that we can ask questions of - the "community" aspect of JET is the best, hands down IMHO!!!!
    Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Johnny, I have had the pleasure if getting to know Steve in the years since I've been back (I'm a second-timer) and you are right, he's an awesome guy! We are lucky to have him as our coordinator!!! What year did you leave? I might have met you at previous years' predeparture orientations! Awesome that there are so many people that we can ask questions of - the "community" aspect of JET is the best, hands down IMHO!!!!
    Thanks again!!!
    I left just last year. There were a lot of former JETs there, so maybe I say you. Anyway, you're right. There is a pretty good JET Alumni group in Vancouver.

Just a quick note to those of you who were upgraded. Expect your placements to arrive roughly two weeks after everyone else's.
    Last edited by johnny; May 2nd, 2014 at 22:04.

I was also told that placement info should come in around mid-May. Let's hope!

There are two kinds of contracting organizations who hire JET ALTs - the prefectural Board of Education (BOE) who hires for high schools and then the city/town BOE who hires for junior high and elementary. In Japan, the city/town is responsible for education until the end of JHS and the prefecture is responsible for SHS. So the two kinds of contracting organizations are the town and the prefecture. If you are told you will be in X-cho, X-machi or X-shi, then you have been hired by the town and all you have to do is wait to hear from your predecessor. If you hear that you are in X-ken, then you are prefectural and will be working at a SHS. The prefecture will let you know that you are hired by them, but then it takes a month for them to decide where in the prefecture to put you, so you won't find out your actual placement in the prefecture until later.

Does that make sense? It's kind of convoluted...

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    There are two kinds of contracting organizations who hire JET ALTs - the prefectural Board of Education (BOE) who hires for high schools and then the city/town BOE who hires for junior high and elementary. In Japan, the city/town is responsible for education until the end of JHS and the prefecture is responsible for SHS. So the two kinds of contracting organizations are the town and the prefecture. If you are told you will be in X-cho, X-machi or X-shi, then you have been hired by the town and all you have to do is wait to hear from your predecessor. If you hear that you are in X-ken, then you are prefectural and will be working at a SHS. The prefecture will let you know that you are hired by them, but then it takes a month for them to decide where in the prefecture to put you, so you won't find out your actual placement in the prefecture until later.

Does that make sense? It's kind of convoluted...
    Both very interesting and very helpful! I was trying to figure it out on my own, but couldn't find any information as to how that worked. Thank you bunches!!!

Using Tapatalk

Banned

Who wants to hazard a guess about the selection process of the prefectures then? Do they tend to request older people, since they'll be dealing with older students?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

The Consulates will receive a list of placements for each Candidate. We usually get them in late May, or early June. We will them e-mail them to let them know where they will go. All of the US consulates try to send placement information around the same time to prevent mass hysteria. It is possible for the JET applicant to hear from their COs or the JET they will be replacing before we tell them officially though, but most JETs will hear where they are going from the Consulates.

Thank you!!!!

What types of candidates are selected for city positions (Kobe specifically if anyone knows)? For example, do they tend to have X-years experience, ED degrees, Japanese proficiency, or is it really as "random" as some people claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

JETs are all placed in either city or prefectural BOEs, there's no nationwide city or prefectural guidelines for choosing ALTs.

It's all up to the individual BOEs. Some will request people with some Japanese or no Japanese, ALTs from certain areas because of a sister city relationship, female or male ALTs (because they haven't had X in a number of years, because it's an all F/M school, ...), ALTs with licenses, etc. I wouldn't think that it would be the norm to have requests for ALTs that have experience or education degrees since ALTs are not required to have either. If I were to speculate it would seem more likely to happen with a prefectural BOE as HS ALTs seem to do more of their own stuff instead of roboting.

Once special requests fill up I'm sure it's pretty random (with an attempt at fulfilling placement requests).
    Last edited by Page; May 7th, 2014 at 12:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    JETs are all placed in either city or prefectural BOEs, there's no nationwide city or prefectural guidelines for choosing ALTs.

It's all up to the individual BOEs. Some will request people with some Japanese or no Japanese, ALTs from certain areas because of a sister city relationship, female or male ALTs (because they haven't had X in a number of years, because it's an all F/M school, ...), ALTs with licenses, etc. I wouldn't think that it would be the norm to have requests for ALTs that have experience or education degrees since ALTs are not required to have either. If I were to speculate it would seem more likely to happen with a prefectural BOE as HS ALTs seem to do more of their own stuff instead of roboting.

Once special requests fill up I'm sure it's pretty random (with an attempt at fulfilling placement requests).
    This is correct.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Seconding what Page said. I mean Kobe has a bit of a rep for having quite a few teachers in their ALT pool, but it's not entirely made out of people with teaching certificates. They just can't get that many teachers when other prefectures are also requesting them.

Also what Page said about HS more likely true. They can be pretty picky about what they want, especially these new super science schools/programs that are appearing. I imagine a lot of science degree holders will end up in SHS with some pretty demanding educational requests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.