Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How will we hear?

Default Re: How will we hear?

What types of candidates are selected for city positions (Kobe specifically if anyone knows)? For example, do they tend to have X-years experience, ED degrees, Japanese proficiency, or is it really as "random" as some people claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

JETs are all placed in either city or prefectural BOEs, there's no nationwide city or prefectural guidelines for choosing ALTs.

It's all up to the individual BOEs. Some will request people with some Japanese or no Japanese, ALTs from certain areas because of a sister city relationship, female or male ALTs (because they haven't had X in a number of years, because it's an all F/M school, ...), ALTs with licenses, etc. I wouldn't think that it would be the norm to have requests for ALTs that have experience or education degrees since ALTs are not required to have either. If I were to speculate it would seem more likely to happen with a prefectural BOE as HS ALTs seem to do more of their own stuff instead of roboting.

Once special requests fill up I'm sure it's pretty random (with an attempt at fulfilling placement requests).
    Last edited by Page; May 7th, 2014 at 12:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Seconding what Page said. I mean Kobe has a bit of a rep for having quite a few teachers in their ALT pool, but it's not entirely made out of people with teaching certificates. They just can't get that many teachers when other prefectures are also requesting them.

Also what Page said about HS more likely true. They can be pretty picky about what they want, especially these new super science schools/programs that are appearing. I imagine a lot of science degree holders will end up in SHS with some pretty demanding educational requests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    JETs are all placed in either city or prefectural BOEs, there's no nationwide city or prefectural guidelines for choosing ALTs.

It's all up to the individual BOEs. Some will request people with some Japanese or no Japanese, ALTs from certain areas because of a sister city relationship, female or male ALTs (because they haven't had X in a number of years, because it's an all F/M school, ...), ALTs with licenses, etc. I wouldn't think that it would be the norm to have requests for ALTs that have experience or education degrees since ALTs are not required to have either. If I were to speculate it would seem more likely to happen with a prefectural BOE as HS ALTs seem to do more of their own stuff instead of roboting.

Once special requests fill up I'm sure it's pretty random (with an attempt at fulfilling placement requests).
    This is correct.