Thread: State of the abode (when you arrive)...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default State of the abode (when you arrive)...

Should I be worried about how filthy my place will be when I arrive? I mean, surely some predecessors are going to be complete slobs; hell, I saw a few apartment tours on youtube that were positively shameful. Is it common for them to be professionally cleaned before you arrive? Has anyone heard any good horror stories? What was your personal experience? I am super curious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Default Re: State of the abode (when you arrive)...

I think professional cleaning is fairly rare, but most apartments will be in a reasonable state. A lot will depend on how big the gap between your predecessor and you is: if they move out a week before you arrive, the landlord may have done some cleaning; they day before, and it's difficult to arrange anything.

Also, remember that Japanese apartments are small and usually lack storage. Some of those "shameful" youtube videos may simply have been clutter everywhere from having nowhere else to put it.
    ...because Japan.

I've learned not to worry myself too much over these sorts of things, as ESID. What if I get there and it's dirty? I'll deal with it. If it's clean, I will also deal with that. It's out of our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Also, remember that Japanese apartments are small and usually lack storage. Some of those "shameful" youtube videos may simply have been clutter everywhere from having nowhere else to put it.
    Ha, I don't know about that... Having a cluttered apartment, a messy apartment, and a dirty apartment are all different things. Listen, I am not going to condemn people who are filthy animals, many "young adults" start off living that way. Hell, I started that way when I got my first place. That being said, many of the worst ones were actually pretty sizable places. One used a room to just store loose trash. I mean, that isn't clutter, that is being lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    I've learned not to worry myself too much over these sorts of things, as ESID. What if I get there and it's dirty? I'll deal with it. If it's clean, I will also deal with that. It's out of our hands.
    I am not terribly worked up about it, I understand that there is a distinct possibility that I will have to work with it. That being said, I love to hear about horror stories. Personally, it is fun to indulge in these things (or maybe I am just fucked).

Also, I would be interested to hear about the personal experiences of JETs on this website...
    Last edited by spman2099; May 5th, 2014 at 09:44.

Default State of the abode (when you arrive)...

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Ha, I don't know about that... Having a cluttered apartment, a messy apartment, and a dirty apartment are all different things. Listen, I am not going to condemn people who are filthy animals, many "young adults" start off living that way. Hell, I started that way when I got my first place. That being said, many of the worst ones were actually pretty sizable places. One used a room to just store loose trash. I mean, that isn't clutter, that is being lazy...
    Most JETs I know store garbage in some fashion. There are certain kinds of trash that only go out once a month. Some things, like broken electronics and appliances, go out even more rarely. In summer loads of people also put their stinky trash in the freezer, because a week in summer temperatures makes things rancid.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; May 5th, 2014 at 10:25.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

My place was professionally cleaned before I came, so it was pretty nice. However, there was and still is a lot of junk and clutter. I'm getting a service to haul it away after eight months. I just can't stand it anymore.

I got lucky and mostly got left useful stuff, with exception to a couple of manky blankets and futons. Our apartments were all cleaned before we got there, but some of the apartments were cleaned while the preds were still living there. The professional cleaning mostly meant that the floors and toilet would be clean. I still had to clean out the air conditioner filters and the little drainage area in the bathroom by myself. It was kind of a rip off since all people here were charged about 5 man for cleaning and final bills. I only got a couple of thousand back when I moved out last summer, despite taking care of the bills myself. At least I didn't have it as bad as the people who came in to their apartment to find a bunch of empty plastic bottles on the counter and iffy food in the fridge.

It's surprisingly easy to become a gross garbage hoarder here, especially if you don't have a grocery store/combini/wooded area to take your plastic bottles and cans to.

I shouldn't say too much because it's not my story to tell but I know someone who got fucked three ways by his pred, landlord and school and ended up needing almost 3 times the cash they recommend you to bring to move houses, so yes, horror story situations are real.

Mine wasn't too bad but it was full of junk from decades of ALTs that I'm still getting rid of. I forgive them though because one of them bought a massive fridge/freezer and gave it to his successor for free.

IMO they should do what they'd do for any new tenant in an apartment and make the previous person clear all their shit out and then clean the whole place thoroughly, but most JETs wouldn't like that because they're a bunch of cheapskates used to living amongst filth and junk.

IMO they should do what they'd do for any new tenant in an apartment and make the previous person clear all their shit out and then clean the whole place thoroughly, but most JETs wouldn't like that because they're a bunch of cheapskates used to living amongst filth and junk.
    If everyone was staying for three years or more, that would probably be a good idea. But in unfurnished apartments, having new furniture bought every year would be a huge waste. If the BoE is supplying it, it's different, but a lot of JETs have to buy their own.
    ...because Japan.

Depends on the BOE, I'm sure. In my city all ALT places are professionally cleaned but as a previous poster said that doesn't include all of the nooks and crannies. As Japanese garbage rules can be hard to figure out (and the fact that people are lazy) you shouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of junk left over. If you get an inaka placement you'll see sheds/garages filled with old junk so even Japanese people can't seem to be assed to do it.

Mine wasn't so bad but I had a lot of old futon as well as a "library" (in an extra room) full of dumped books, comics, and VHS. About 11 or 12 Japanese 3 shelf bookcases worth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Depends on the BOE, I'm sure. In my city all ALT places are professionally cleaned but as a previous poster said that doesn't include all of the nooks and crannies. As Japanese garbage rules can be hard to figure out (and the fact that people are lazy) you shouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of junk left over. If you get an inaka placement you'll see sheds/garages filled with old junk so even Japanese people can't seem to be assed to do it.

Mine wasn't so bad but I had a lot of old futon as well as a "library" (in an extra room) full of dumped books, comics, and VHS. About 11 or 12 Japanese 3 shelf bookcases worth!
    Shit, I wouldn't mind encountering a library left behind... That is pretty damn cool. Even if most of it is crap, I am sure there were a few gems in the bunch. VHS tapes are obviously a little less desirable...

My place was not professionally cleaned, but it was pretty clean when I moved there. When I moved out, I was expected to clean it, and someone from the BoE stopped by to make sure it was okay.

You hear a lot of horror stories about JETs with gross apartments or apartments full of shit, but that's not the norm, of course. Most people will have a fairly clean apartment that may have some junk that you don't want in it.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

This is one fo those times where each situation really is different.
    Some COs will clean them, some won't. You might have a predecesor who is very clean, or one who lives amonst all sorts of critters and creatures.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about it now until you are put in contact with your CO.