Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stickers!

Default Stickers!

(shortlisted 2014, here) I beseech you, oh Wise Ones, to share your stories of sticker use in the classroom. Tiny stickers, animal stickers, scented stickers. Happy kids and kids crying. How have you employed stickers as a motivation tool, and in which ways have they backfired in the past?

Default Re: Stickers!

There's probably around 10,000 stickers in my desk. I've never used them. Probably never will.

If you try giving stickers to High School kids the best you can hope for is ironic appreciation. More than likely you'll get the exact same reception as you would if you tried giving stickers to 16 year-olds in your home country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Are you going to be in ES? Otherwise I wouldn't bother with the stickers.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

I'm a JHS ALT, and my 1st and 2nd graders still like stickers. By 3rd grade they don't really seem to care. At the 3rd grade level, stickers are momentary evidence of their victory and little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Default Stickers!

I am many things, including a sticker bitch. Thusly, I refuse to be judged for that adpect of my personality.

INRE the stickers, I hand them out to victors of our gladiatorial English games after class.

Last edited by johnny; May 7th, 2014 at 14:17.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I cant stand stickers and hate everything they represent.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Even Mickey Mouse stickers?

if you hand out stickers you might as well hang a sign round your neck saying "my lessons are boring and I don't know how to motivate students without resorting to bribery"
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Truth be told, some of my activities are pretty boring. Some subjects allow for more fun than others.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I have never used stickers as a reward mechanic (seeing as that is plain bribery assuming the student is motivated).

I have used stickers for my own reasons, usually around seasonal times when they are cheap. For instance, when identifying which essays were handed into me early at christmas, I put a simple (and dirt cheap) sticker on it so I knew who to give extra points to. I also saw some cute ones and just attached them as gifts to my second year journals for the students to use however they want.

Noone was particularly impressed, except maybe a few first year girls who got em on particularly impressive writing.

I imagine if you are teaching significantly younger students they appreciate it more, but I gotta agree with Ini. If the lesson is so un-interesting, or your students so un motivated to learn English that you need to bribe them, then you probably should look at the causes instead of bandaiding a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thanks for chiming in, guys. When I first heard of JETs using stickers it seemed as if were used more as motivation for the kids to raise their hands and get outside of their shells. With that said, another question: If not stickers, what are some methods you use to coax participation when kids are being shy?

In my experience, getting kids to laugh a few times at the beginning of a lesson can really affect whether they feel comfortable participating and help draw shy kids out of their shells. It's not a science, but it really seems to help at my schools.

Don't bother trying to get kids to raise their hands. Don't bother quizzing them. If you really need one student to ask them a question then call them by name.

Hand raising is not a part of the Japanese classroom and they won't participate even with stickers or candy. The same 5 attention seeking kids will just raise their hands every time while the rest sit there sulking.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    In my experience, getting kids to laugh a few times at the beginning of a lesson can really affect whether they feel comfortable participating and help draw shy kids out of their shells. It's not a science, but it really seems to help at my schools.
    Yeah, this is been a somewhat effective technique in my limited time as an ALT. Breaking the ice is a good way of letting the kids drop their shields, so to speak, and not be so self-conscious.

I sometimes use them for checking textbooks at ES but my JHS JTE LOVES stickers. They get stickers on their writing assignments, winning games, and also for doing the reading (1 sticker to read from the text, 2 to read from the fill in the blank copy of the text, and 3 for doing it all from memory--JTE uses it as a measure of their participation since they put them in their notebooks) so I keep a large stock of stickers. If you want to bring some bring characters that are popular here too (anything Disney or Spongebob). I brought some English reward stickers but they're only exciting to 1st/2nd/3rd grade ES kids. Scented stickers might be interesting but tbh Japan has a lot of stickers already so you shouldn't feel like you have to bring them from your home country.
    Last edited by Page; May 8th, 2014 at 13:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

If you are into giving stickers to students , you could always custom make them in websites like MOO | Business Logo Stickers.

Though I doubt most alts would be willing to waste that much money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk