Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Australian JETs 2014

Default Aspiring Australian JETs 2014

Hey guys,

The date for notifications should be coming quite soon and I know I'm missing most of my fingernails and patience each time the postman goes past my letterbox so let's get to know some things about us. Who knows, you could be sitting next to a fellow ITIL user on the plane over?

So let's get some things going...
    - Where are you from?
    - What's your degree?
    - What are your three placement preferences?
    - What are you looking forward to doing whilst in Japan?
    And these are just some suggestions but I honestly want one question answered as I'm sure we were all stumped and had to lie for this one.
    - How can you bring Australian culture to Japan?

Personally, I'm from Campbelltown in South-West Sydney and "majored" in Sport and Exercise Science. I preferred Hokkaido, Gifu, and Kagoshima (random right?). I'm looking forward to a change in pace and scenery as I'm sick of being stuck in an area with limited opportunity that rewards networking over knowledge. I'm looking forward to snowboarding most of the year (if placed north), surfing, and just being in an area that's different. On my SoP, I mentioned how Australia has a diverse fauna and flora ecosystem and how that can be used to motivate students into learning more about wildlife.

So let's get the ball rolling and when you get that notification, let us know; if not, unlucky and good luck with any future aspirations and don't be shy to hang around, you may be in our prefecture the following year.

Default Re: Aspiring Australian JETs 2014

I think I may be the only other Australian applying on this forum...unless there are others lurking.

Anyway, I'm a recent arts graduate from Melbourne with majors in Japanese and Asian Studies. For various reasons, I requested Okayama, Kochi and Sapporo. If I do make it into JET, I'm looking forward to living by myself, brushing up on my Japanese and perhaps a little bit of travelling. Job wise, I'd like to see how the Japanese kids study and learn English as I'd like to teach ESL in the future. In regards to Australian culture, I want to talk about the diversity and multiculturalism we have here since I grew up away from it.

I'm also starting my masters course in a few weeks time, so things will be getting busy for me.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I think there are atleast 5 or so based on the information I've seen through the various threads. Now whether or not there are all still here is another question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Hi, I'm a Sydney applicant, got through to the interview round. Nice to meet you.

Glad to see some more Aussies dropping in. I also got my letter telling me I made it to the interview round. Honestly can't wait for the interview...

Sydney interview details should be out now. I've got mine and honestly cannot wait to destroy this interview.

I got mine via email few days after the interview notification. Good luck everyone!

Hey yall. Been wonderin when an aussie thread would rock up. I got my interview details as well just the other day. Pretty happy and looking forward to laying on the charm. Oh and um skillz as well of course.

I majored in Glaswegian history with a minor in latin.
    My choices for placement were: Skytree Tower, Disneyland and Mt Fuji.
    Can't be bothered answering all the questions, but on bringing australian culture to Japan, well it's obvious isn't it?
    Get drunk, go out, punch someone and swear a lot.

Some or all of this post may or may not be a lie....

Got my notification. Not sweating yet but starting to think I should be. Luckily my friend got through to the second round as well so we're gonna go talk it over on Monday.

Man... part of me doesn't want to wear a suit, but as I keep reminding myself, it's a government contract with a foreign government... should at least be formal for the interview... best foot forward and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
    Man... part of me doesn't want to wear a suit, but as I keep reminding myself, it's a government contract with a foreign government... should at least be formal for the interview... best foot forward and all that.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! That has been my interview advice for applicants ever since the guy who wanted to go in a school uniform. Finally someone that gets it!
    ...because Japan.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

WORD. *Applause*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Hey friends,

Anyone interviewing in those first 3 days of 17th-19th?

Not I. End of feb for me.

Yup on the 17th. How do you know it's the first day?

i'm on the 19th

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Yup on the 17th. How do you know it's the first day?
    It states interviews are held mid-February and considering it takes about two weeks to interview everybody, 17th is the first Monday which is around "mid-February". I'm on the 18th...

The 'culture' thing is really tripping me up in Interview prep. I yammered on a lot in my SOP about multiculturalism - which is fair enough, since I live in Sydney and I can go a day or so without seeing a blond-haired white person ('traditional Australians', or the image thereof anyway) or even speaking english, if I stick to the right suburbs - but getting concrete examples or cultural artifacts is kinda bumming me out.
    Last edited by Jintor; February 9th, 2014 at 21:40.

The 'culture' thing is really tripping me up in Interview prep...but getting concrete examples or cultural artifacts is kinda bumming me out.
    It is a tough thing to promote considering other nations have quite distinct cultures whereas Australia has a very negative global culture toward its people. I won't say much more than that since I'd be hurting my chances of being picked over you (even though I want us all to go) but I have mine prepared and is actually quite relevant to me.

getting concrete examples or cultural artifacts is kinda bumming me out.
    Sorry for the late reply, I've just started my masters course and everything has been so busy. Anyway...

I was also one to go around the bush with multiculturalism. Cultural artifacts - by this you mean the 3 things you'll bring to represent Australian culture right? Here are some things I thought about:

Football or some other sporty thing - Australian sporting culture
    'Blinky Bill' / 'The Magic Pudding' - classic Australian fiction / cartoons
    Photos of where you live, your friends, things that are multicultural (e.g. Chinatown) - I think some kind of representation of Japan overseas would be good too
    Scrapbook of photos of popular tourist destinations (similar concept to above)
    Australian food recipes
    A CD of classic Australian songs (e.g. Waltzing Matilda, I Still Call Australia Home etc.)

Have a look through those souvenir shops too, I think you'll find some stereotypical/interesting stuff there as well.

Hope that helps!

Sydney applicant here with an interview on the 19th. Graduated in 2012 with a bachelor of commerce majoring in accounting and finance. Nagoya, Tokyo and Osaka were my preferences.

Good luck to all fellow Aussies!