Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Return flight options

Default Return flight options

So I am going to quit Jet this upcoming august and my school is offering to pay my return ticket as long as I do it within a month of ending work.

The process goes like this:

1. I pick a date.
    2. They consult a travel agent and get a quote.
    3. I buy the ticket from that quote with my own money.
    4. They reimburse me.
    5. I go home.

Here is what I am wondering: is it possible for me to change things up between step 4 and 5 to better fit my schedule?

Let's say I want to stay 3 months on a tourist visa after I finish and THEN go home. Could I wait until I get reimbursed, then, change the date of the ticket with the travel agent (perhaps by paying a fee), then fly home 3 months later?

Or, what if I book a ticket now, get reimbursed, and then in a month just decide I don't want to fly home? Can I just let the airplane fly with an empty seat?

Or how about, if I'm really unscrupulous, what if I just cancel the ticket after I get reimbursed and try and pocket the money?

What are people's experiences with this?
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; May 7th, 2014 at 17:15.

Default Re: Return flight options

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesuntzu View Post
    ...my school is offering to pay my return ticket as long as I do it within a month of ending work.
    They're not offering to, they're required to, by both your employment contract and the agreement your BoE has with CLAIR. This means that the process will very much be set in stone, and trying to fiddle the system in your favour will result in first teeth-sucking and chottos, and then polite refusal.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    They're not offering to, they're required to, by both your employment contract and the agreement your BoE has with CLAIR. This means that the process will very much be set in stone, and trying to fiddle the system in your favour will result in first teeth-sucking and chottos, and then polite refusal.
    To be clear, I wasn't planning on asking permission for any of the above plans.

It seems that once my school gets the receipt and reimburses me that is the end of their involvement, just like the expenses for the rest of my business trips. What I'm asking is: once they are out of the picture, what's to stop me from modifying the arrangements with the travel agent? I am the travel agent's customer, I used my own money to buy the ticket, it seems like I would be able to modify my flight after its purchased.
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; May 7th, 2014 at 17:36.

To be clear, I wasn't planning on asking permission for any of the above plans.

It seems that once my school gets the receipt and reimburses me that is the end of their involvement, just like the expenses for the rest of my business trips. What I'm asking is: once they are out of the picture, what's to stop me from modifying the arrangements with the travel agent? I am the travel agent's customer, I used my own money to buy the ticket, it seems like I would be able to modify my flight after its purchased.
    While I don't know, that's quite a shitty thing to do. I imagine (someone jump in who has done this) you have to have a flight booked with a set date to get the tourist visa when you head down to immigration. If you could change your flight after you get the visa, no idea, never tried but if you get found out, expect to pay the full price of your flight ticket and don't expect good references from your employers should you need references from them in the future.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Umm, Nothing is stopping you from doing that however keep this big thing in mind:

They are only required to provide the return ticket assuming you complete all of the requirements as well.

IF you violate those terms, they could cause problems regarding your pension refund, they could charge you for the ticket due to your non-compliance with the contract, and then potentially report you to the policy for not paying said bill (which then ends up as a record against you for any future visa status).

I know that is a lot of IFs, but you are agreeing to a certain set of terms when you accept the return airfare. If you do not intend to return during that time (the one month window), inform your contracting agency that you do not need the return airfare and purchase your own ticket for a later date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Not sure if it is the same for all contracting organizations, but when I left, they had a whole committee of people meet me at my house for a good-bye ceremony. Some were friends, but some were from the BOE, and they actually drove me to the airport and sent me off - carrying my luggage, making sure I got through security ok. This was not an optional part of the package. I am guessing that if your CO has a number of JETs or if you are prefectural, this isn't the case, but I could be wrong. In my small town though, it would have been very hard to sneak away. ESID?!

First of all, regarding the "shittyness" of this thing to do. I think even I am not capable of just pocketing the money, that really seems bad. But as for whether or not I leave Japan 1 month after or 3 months after i quit, I don't feel like that's a moral issue. What difference does it make to my school? It costs the same amount. It's not illegal for me to stay 3 months. The only difference is that it may be more convenient for me.

As for the meeting me at the airport bit, there is an option where the school just pays for a flight from tokyo (not where I am located) so they wouldn't see me off for that leg of the trip. After I leave work on my last day, I probably won't see any of the school personnel again in my life. I won't even be in the same town. Aside from the school calling the travel agent after I leave, (and even then, I don't know if they would give customer information to a third party, after all, I paid for the ticket) there would be no way for them to find out.

Anyway, its clear there is some risk here, I guess I'll have to weigh that.
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; May 8th, 2014 at 01:26.

There was a girl in my prefecture who did that = pocketed the money and never left the prefecture (accepted a new job) and her CO found out. It actually created a scandal and a lot of our prefectural JETs are told to get out/forced to use plane tickets on the exact day their contract ends, now, even though the PAs have been fighting to have COs recognize the one-month grace period.

It's become an all or nothing attitude.

Also...you'd be surprised on how much companies are willing to give away here if your supervisor calls "on your behalf". Even though you'd expect them not to give out that information, I wouldn't be surprised if they did, especially if your CO is getting the quote for you on your behalf.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I'd just do it. Just make sure your representative for your pension is not your CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

You'd be surprised on how much companies are willing to give away here if your supervisor calls "on your behalf".
    This. I've heard of supervisors getting financial information, travel arrangements... Probably even medical information. Finding out you changed your departure date is not a hard task for them, if they want to enquire.

Just make sure your representative for your pension is not your CO.
    That's an excellent point. Does the pension refund process ask the date you left Japan, because they'd find out that way.

Also, saying "it costs the same amount" is outright wrong. August is an expensive month to fly; as soon as the calendar changes from July to August, it adds at least 20,000 yen to the cost of my flight home. Leaving months later means you are effectively costing your school/BoE hundreds of dollars extra at a time they have to fly in your replacement and pay for Tokyo Orientation.
    ...because Japan.

I don't think this is a shitty thing to do. In fact, my friend is Nagoya was told they had to buy his flight and gave him instructions on how to get a refund if he decided to stay. If you are buying the ticket yourself, buy it one month out and tell them you are planning on traveling around Japan "to see the beauty of their beautiful country, Japan". MAKE SURE YOU CAN CHANGE THE DATE. Usually when you buy it through a Japanese travel agency its super expensive to do so.
    I think that used to be a pretty standard to flip your expensive one way ticket to a cheap round trip ticket and pocket the cash before 2005.

Even if your BOE tries to deny your pension refund one call to CLAIR will set them straight.

I don't think it's a sh*tty thing to do, but as it may technically be a violation of your contract, it might be a bit shady. I suppose it's even possible (albeit ridiculously unlikely) that your BoE could pursue legal action against you to recover the cost of the plane ticket. They're only obligated to pay for it if you leave within 30 days of the end of your contract.

I dunno, though; why not just bargain with 'em a bit? A leaving friend did; they found a quote; he showed 'em a cheaper ticket that allowed him to visit SK and Vietnam on the way home. They ended up just giving him the money. Of course, they totally loved him, so ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Also, saying "it costs the same amount" is outright wrong. August is an expensive month to fly; as soon as the calendar changes from July to August, it adds at least 20,000 yen to the cost of my flight home. Leaving months later means you are effectively costing your school/BoE hundreds of dollars extra at a time they have to fly in your replacement and pay for Tokyo Orientation.
    I dont think you understand what i am proposing. I want to buy a ticket within the time range my school is obligated to pay for. After i take the money for that fixed cost, i want to call up the travel agent and change the departure date by paying the extra fees out of pocket.

Ergo, the school pays only what they are obligated to.
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; May 8th, 2014 at 13:23.

You can only get away with that if you pay for it, otherwise they will be notified.

You really want to stay in Japan without a job unpaid for 90 days? Why not just do another year on JET?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    You can only get away with that if you pay for it, otherwise they will be notified.

You really want to stay in Japan without a job unpaid for 90 days? Why not just do another year on JET?
    1. I pick a date.
    2. They consult a travel agent and get a quote.
    3. I buy the ticket from that quote with my own money.
    4. They reimburse me.
    5. I go home.
    Personally, I see no huge ethical issue with this process. I see the departure flight as a kind of bonus to be paid at the end of a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

But as for whether or not I leave Japan 1 month after or 3 months after i quit, I don't feel like that's a moral issue. What difference does it make to my school? It costs the same amount. It's not illegal for me to stay 3 months. The only difference is that it may be more convenient for me.
    I dont think you understand what i am proposing. I want to buy a ticket within the time range my school is obligated to pay for. After i take the money for that fixed cost, i want to call up the travel agent and change the departure date by paying the extra fees out of pocket.

Ergo, the school pays only what they are obligated to.
    I understand perfectly what you're proposing. The school is obligated to pay for your ticket if you leave within a month. You want to leave after three months and still have them pay. That is known as "fraud".

Also, even if they were obligated to pay after three months, you would still be costing them extra by asking for an August ticket when prices in October are cheaper. Of course, if they still had to pay after three months, that wouldn't be an issue.
    ...because Japan.

So you'd have no problem if he just asked to fly out in October? No where in there does he think that he is going to pocket the money. He thinks it will cost him money out of pocket. Where is the fraud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Contract legally requires Party A to pay for Party B's plane ticket, so long as a certain time requirement is met. Party B says, "Cool, will do." Party A pays for said plane ticket. Party B then violates the time requirement.

I dunno if it legally qualifies as fraud, but it's certainly a form of dishonesty.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Contract legally requires Party A to pay for Party B's plane ticket, so long as a certain time requirement is met. Party B says, "Cool, will do." Party A pays for said plane ticket. Party B then violates the time requirement.

I dunno if it legally qualifies as fraud, but it's certainly a form of dishonesty.
    If the contract stipulated that party A give B a PS3, and B exchanged the PS3 for a store credit and bought a PS4 instead, is that problematic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    If the contract stipulated that party A give B a PS3, and B exchanged the PS3 for a store credit and bought a PS4 instead, is that problematic?
    Not an accurate comparison.

It would be more like... Contract stipulates Party A gives Party B a new, heavily-branded snowboard on the condition that Party B use it for a year. Party B says, "Sweet; I will," gets said snowboard, then sells it and buys a different one the next week. Does Party A not have the right to get their panties in a bunch about this?

Who uses travel agents these days anyway. Is it not significantly cheaper and more convenient to just go on Skyscanner and book it yourself there and then?

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the OP is nothing more than a common thief.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; May 8th, 2014 at 14:04.