Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Thread: Return flight options

  1. #21
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Util, only if there wasn't a requirement to actually keep the PS3. In this case there is a requirement to actually leave, attached to the plane ticket, and that requirement to leave has a specific time frame.

    Keep in mind, your health coverage will only exist in Japan until the date negotiated to leave the country, afterwards you're on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  2. #22
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Who uses travel agents these days anyway. Is it not significantly cheaper and more convenient to just go on Skyscanner and book it yourself there and then?

    Regardless, I think we can all agree that the OP is a thief.
    Ah, you gotta use the travel agent for the quote, (Bureaucracy) not necessarily for purchasing the ticket itself if it's paid for by you and reimbursed without receipt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  3. #23
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    So you'd have no problem if he just asked to fly out in October? No where in there does he think that he is going to pocket the money. He thinks it will cost him money out of pocket. Where is the fraud?
    Cost of a ticket: hundreds of dollars, maybe over a thousand.
    Cost of changing a ticket: tens of dollars.

    OP, if you want to try this, that's fine. Good luck to you. But don't try and say that the BoE would be paying the same either way. At the very best it's dishonest. And if "lying to secure financial gain" isn't the definition of fraud, I'm not sure what is.
    ...because Japan.

  4. #24
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: Return flight options

    wouldn't the BOE get suspicious when you present them with a quote for an open ticket instead of a much cheaper fixed one?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Util, only if there wasn't a requirement to actually keep the PS3. In this case there is a requirement to actually leave, attached to the plane ticket, and that requirement to leave has a specific time frame.

    Keep in mind, your health coverage will only exist in Japan until the date negotiated to leave the country, afterwards you're on your own.
    Reading my (english version) contract at the moment. I never noticed the date restriction, but it does look like you have a one month window at end of contract within which to book a ticket.

    Why doesn'T OP just book his flight for the end of August and nenkyuu through July? Two months and perfectly legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  6. #26
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Reading my (english version) contract at the moment. I never noticed the date restriction, but it does look like you have a one month window at end of contract within which to book a ticket.

    Why doesn'T OP just book his flight for the end of August and nenkyuu through July? Two months and perfectly legit.
    Exactly, it's in the model contract, so it should be in everyone's contract. They're also pretty specific about how that flight is supposed to go, with the whole direct flight and only non-direct if direct isn't available.

    I know plenty of people who have done the nenkyuu July. My predecessor did it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Cost of a ticket: hundreds of dollars, maybe over a thousand.
    Cost of changing a ticket: tens of dollars.

    OP, if you want to try this, that's fine. Good luck to you. But don't try and say that the BoE would be paying the same either way. At the very best it's dishonest. And if "lying to secure financial gain" isn't the definition of fraud, I'm not sure what is.
    Actually, if I am unable to fly out in three months, I am going to fly out in 1 month anyway. No matter what my BEO is going to be paying for an airplane ticket.

    Furthermore, I would only attempt to get them to pay for the price of the ticket within the first month, if I choose a later date the additional cost will be covered by my own money.

    There exists no hypothetical world where my BEO will pay more or less than the number they are going to pay. I really don't see what you are getting at.

    I might agree that it is what is legally construed as "fraud" but you'll have a hard time convincing me that I am actually doing them a great deal of damage seeing as how the dollar amount on their end is going to be the same in any situation.
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; May 8th, 2014 at 16:00.

  8. #28
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesuntzu View Post
    I might agree that it is what is legally construed as "fraud" but you'll have a hard time convincing me that I am actually doing them a great deal of damage seeing as how the dollar amount on their end is going to be the same in any situation.
    You leave after 1 month: BoE is obliged to buy you a ticket.
    You leave after 3 months: BoE is NOT obliged to buy you a ticket, and you have to pay for your own flight back.

    Just because you lie to them about when you're leaving doesn't mean you're leaving within one month.

    Seriously, even you admit that this is fraud. How about you go ask this on Official and see how quickly it gets back to your BoE. Then see what they think of your plan that "costs them the same either way".
    ...because Japan.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Let's stop engaging this thieving gutter rat. For all we know he's hacking into our computers and snaffling our bank details as we speak.

  10. #30
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesuntzu View Post
    I might agree that it is what is legally construed as "fraud" but you'll have a hard time convincing me that I am actually doing them a great deal of damage seeing as how the dollar amount on their end is going to be the same in any situation.
    From a certain standpoint, that's certainly true. However, try not to think of the situation in exclusively financial terms.

    The whole 30-day limit was almost certainly enacted in order to ensure that nobody would ever overstay their visa, resulting in potential arrest, incarceration, and deportation of the former ALT, plus a hefty amount of public shame for the BoE. The 30-day limit is "insurance" for the BoE; it's a way of guaranteeing that, so long as their former ALT wants that free plane ticket, s/he won't dick around in the country for too long and cause issues for them. That's worth something.

    By bypassing this mechanism, you would be taking that assurance from them. Nothing bad would probably happen, you probably wouldn't overstay your visa, everything would probably be fine. I'd probably be fine if I didn't have a seatbelt on my drive home, too, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy if someone cut through it before I left today.

    I don't think you're a criminal or anything; I don't even think you're sh*tty for considering it. If it were me, though, I'd just go discuss it with someone I liked and see if there was any possibility we could work something out.
    Last edited by word; May 8th, 2014 at 16:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    You leave after 1 month: BoE is obliged to buy you a ticket.
    You leave after 3 months: BoE is NOT obliged to buy you a ticket, and you have to pay for your own flight .
    You know, you're absolutely right. Your persuasion powers have won me over. I guess I will just leave within the one month window. AND MY SCHOOL WILL PAY FOR AN AIRPLANE TICKET.

    I really hope they appreciate the money I am saving them by not having them pay the same amount in scenario 2.

    Your argument would make sense if I planned on staying 3 months without a free airplane ticket, which I am not. My staying three months is contingent on me getting a free airplane ticket.

    Lol anyway, this is worthless. I didn't ask if this was ethically correct I asked if someone had done something like this before or had experience negotiating on this issue. I guarantee that whatever my decision none of your shaming will sway me.
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; May 8th, 2014 at 16:29.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    From a certain standpoint, that's certainly true. However, try not to think of the situation in exclusively financial terms.

    The whole 30-day limit was almost certainly enacted in order to ensure that nobody would ever overstay their visa, resulting in potential arrest, incarceration, and deportation of the former ALT, plus a hefty amount of public shame for the BoE. The 30-day limit is "insurance" for the BoE; it's a way of guaranteeing that, so long as their former ALT wants that free plane ticket, s/he won't dick around in the country for too long and cause issues for them. That's worth something.

    By bypassing this mechanism, you would be taking that assurance from them. Nothing bad would probably happen, you probably wouldn't overstay your visa, everything would probably be fine. I'd probably be fine if I didn't have a seatbelt on my drive home, too, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy if someone cut through it before I left today.

    I don't think you're a criminal or anything; I don't even think you're sh*tty for considering it. If it were me, though, I'd just go discuss it with someone I liked and see if there was any possibility we could work something out.
    Valid points, will consider your advice.

  13. #33
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Return flight options

    Unfortunately all of our departing jets seem to disappear after going home, so we don't have a lot of people around who have been through the post-jet stuff to offer advice

  14. #34
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Unfortunately?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  15. #35
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesuntzu View Post
    Your argument would make sense if I planned on staying 3 months without a free airplane ticket, which I am not. My staying three months is contingent on me getting a free airplane ticket.
    Yes, clearly that's what your plan was, when you talked in your original post about changing the date after your BoE reimburse you, not leaving at all, or trying to pocket the money.

    Do it, don't do it. No one really cares. Like you said, we're not going to convince you either way. The only purpose this thread serves is in trying to persuade other people not to commit fraud against the Japanese government.
    ...because Japan.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Yes, clearly that's what your plan was, when you talked in your original post about changing the date after your BoE reimburse you, not leaving at all, or trying to pocket the money.
    I just wanted to see if anyone had information about any of those possibilities. All of them are related to my situation in terms of modifying the original ticket it some form.

    Anyway, good luck protecting the Japanese government.

  17. #37
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Try and ignore antonath, he just likes to troll.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Should it not be our civic duty to inform someone more official about this shyster's fiendish plan?

    I recognise the name from the official forums and if we allow such an unscrupulous criminal to walk in our mists then we're equally as guilty as him.

  19. #39
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Return flight options

    No. ITIL members can absolutely ask questions like this without having to worry about IRL consequences. I will protect members to the absolute best of my ability in this regard. This is one of the reasons why ITIL exists. Unless someone pops on here and asks how to keep a bathtub full of sand from smelling like dead body, I'm going to do all I can to keep folks as safely anonymous as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  20. #40
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Return flight options

    Applause. Not that my identity is particularly secure, but I wouldn't say half the shit I do on here if my shit could be reported to my bosses.

    I might disagree with blue on what they were originally planning, and should they so it then whatever, but in no way should they be reported for it. They are not the first alt thinking like this nor will they be the last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •