Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T minus one week until We start finding out!

Default Re: T minus one week until We start finding out!

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    I was told placements will be posted (literally posted in the mail.. Australia) around the 19th May
    Oh. Sweet, thanks for sharing the info.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkBottle View Post
    Oh I was. Fortunately, only for 3 weeks(ish). Wouldn't wish that fresh hell on anyone.
    You'll get to enjoy a form of purgatory again because you can expect your placement to come at least two weeks after every one else's. I was an alternate as well, and I had to wait an extra two weeks. Lame I tell you!

This is by far the hardest waiting period!
    -I found a website to help me study kanji - yay!
    -I am researching luggage - leaning toward Dakine...
    -I am TRYING to find out what female JETS *actually* wear (not just what they packed) to help me know what to shop for - no luck with this yet...
    - Making lists of things that need to get done.

And on top of all this, JUST GOIN CRAZY WAITING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tako View Post
    I am TRYING to find out what female JETS *actually* wear (not just what they packed) to help me know what to shop for - no luck with this yet...
    This is something I'm having trouble figuring out too. I know it differs depending on schools and probably depending on which region/prefecture you're in too but it's hard to know what to buy. I don't have a lot of money right now so I'm just going to wait to hear where I'm placed and see if that helps any.

Now that I can help with!!! For tokyo, I brought a knee length a-line skirt and a short-sleeved cotton fitted shirt with wedges and a pedicure. For evenings, I traded out the skirt for capris. I brought a black tank dress and summer weight blazer in black (the standard Japanese dress up colour) with black dress shoes and accessories in colour. When I got to my school, it was a countryside JHS and ES, so I basically dressed up for the first day there (and first day of classes), but the rest of the time it was khaki capris and cotton fitted shirts (I started with button down but then gave up - yoga t shirts were fine!)

Winter wear- COLD! Undergarments to stick on the heat patches. Long sleeve T over that, sweater over that, and either dress pants or khakis. One dressier winter black dress - for any ceremony you need. Exercise yoga pants/capris for sports days, marathon days, etc. beach wear if you are near the beach. Winter outerwear and maybe fingerless gloves for indoors in the winter.

Basic stuff. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Lots if bras and undies if you are a size that isn't common in Japan. Socks are easy to find and will fit probably up to an 8 or 9

Thank you that's really useful. You mentioned black being the standard dress up colour but is there any colour to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Lots if bras and undies if you are a size that isn't common in Japan.
    What would you say are the easy to get sizes in Japan? I'm looking at the wiki page ( Brassiere measurement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and I'd like to bet that common sizes in Japan don't vary much from the common sizes here in the UK.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Comfortable conservative if ES, comfortable business conservative if JHS/SHS. wait until you hear from your pred about what type of school environment it is though. I mean hell, at my visit school EVERYONE except me wears track suits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Comfortable conservative if ES, comfortable business conservative if JHS/SHS. wait until you hear from your pred about what type of school environment it is though.
    Cheers. Tha'ts pretty much what I thought.
    I mean hell, at my visit school EVERYONE except me wears track suits.
    I honestly cannot even imagine this. Where I live tracksuits are reserved for people you'd rather never have the misfortune of speaking with mainly for fear of mugging.

Oh yeah, and they are the old style soccer suits too - think polyester Adidas stripes with narrow, zippered ankles!!! Last time, I brought straight legged Adidas, but this time I think I'll stick with yoga pants. I'm from vancouver, so I'll say that it is cultural

As for colours, there are no real no-nos. black is standard for weddings, funerals (with a pearl necklace for the latter), entrance ceremonies, graduations, etc. the general rule of thumb is that bright colours and patterns are saved for the young (under 30) and single (and anyone over about 75, seriously - check out the punk purple hair on some grannies!), and for anyone older or married, or with kids, muted colours are best.

As for bras - the big issue is girth. They have cup sizes up to about a US C cup, but generally they have MUCH narrower rib cages than us. I think you might be able to find a 32c (US system), otherwise, bring it! The largest clothes are generally a US 8. I was an 8-10 last time, and sometimes had to shop in the men's dept. great thing: they'll often do hemming for free!

Oh yeah, and they are the old style soccer suits too - think polyester Adidas stripes with narrow, zippered ankles!!! Last time, I brought straight legged Adidas, but this time I think I'll stick with yoga pants. I'm from vancouver, so I'll say that it is cultural
    I hope that is a joke, because that is just inviting the Kancho in an ES

As for colours, there are no real no-nos. black is standard for weddings, funerals (with a pearl necklace for the latter), entrance ceremonies, graduations, etc. the general rule of thumb is that bright colours and patterns are saved for the young (under 30) and single (and anyone over about 75, seriously - check out the punk purple hair on some grannies!), and for anyone older or married, or with kids, muted colours are best.
    Black is fine at JHS and SHS that require suits. Charcoal and blue are a little better, but plenty of J-teachers wear black sportscoats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I think that would be the men, no?

They won't dare kancho me this time, I'm way too old and frail...

If you are alive, and the ES students sense weakness, you will receive at least one kancho - maybe. I've been tickled, but never kancho'd.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    If you are alive, and the ES students sense weakness
    Establish dominance, kancho them first.

God, I can't believe that they are STILL kancho-ing! Haven't they discovered other things to do?! Do they still do "ain" ?! I hope not!!!

(For those not in the know, a "kancho" is an enema. Point your fingers together as if you are blowing a smoking gun. Now imagine that an ES kid was using those smoking gun fingers to kancho you. Yeah, THAT. That's a kancho)

Establish dominance, kancho them first.
    Hard to establish dominance when the students can see the outline of your pubis mons.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Hard to establish dominance when the students can see the outline of your pubis mons.
    idgi

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Nah, I have two women coworkers who wear random color slacks, blouse/top of some type, and a women's cut black/charcoal blazer as well. It's sorta like a suit, but really isn't in any way imaginable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

what-to-wear-with-yoga-pants.jpg
    "Alright kids, Let's sing the 'Hello Song'!"

U da real mvp.