Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T minus one week until We start finding out!

Default Re: T minus one week until We start finding out!

Seriously though, anyone from anywhere can be cool/fun, but some stereotypes do hold true. For ALTs almost half of them are tiresome for me because they're just acting like they're in college and talking about the same 3 topics the whole time. Plus the circlejerk of misconceptions about Japan from ignorant people is very tiring.

Otherwise I just like spending time with chill people, really. And most British ALTs seem to be incredibly tense/awkward to me, whereas a lot of ALTs from elsewhere are much more open and relaxed. Might just be something I notice being from England myself.

I think I could hang out with most people on here because they're fairly interesting and though we moan about living in Japan a bit the forum atmosphere beats most of the super stereotypical/dumb complaints out of people fairly well.

As a British individual on these forums, i'm really feeling the love.....
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

There's lots of love for british folk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    As a British individual on these forums, i'm really feeling the love.....
    Just my experiences and I'm only one person. And I'm British too so it's allowed.

There are some great British ALTs in my inaka, and also I love clotted cream. There's some British love. Also my grandma is British, but she's from Hull so I don't always like to own up to that

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Also my grandma is British, but she's from Hull so I don't always like to own up to that
    Don't blame you...

Why do Americans think British people will find it endearing when they say "I love *random stereotypical thing I think of as British*". You wouldn't like it if Japanese people were all "I LOVE AMERICA! BIG HAMBURGER DONUTS" so why do you think we're going to pat you on the back for saying "I love clotted cream"?

Gurl, aren't you the one who's always pulling out the </sarcasm> tag?

Am frum north so al be gerrin all kids laikin' wi' wippets!
    Short-listed! - UK 2014
    See you in London and Tokyo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Why do Americans think British people will find it endearing when they say "I love *random stereotypical thing I think of as British*". You wouldn't like it if Japanese people were all "I LOVE AMERICA! BIG HAMBURGER DONUTS" so why do you think we're going to pat you on the back for saying "I love clotted cream"?
    But I do love clotted cream.

Side note: I studied in Newcastle for a semester. I can say it was rare I met a Geordie I'd like to hang out with again, but overall, it was pretty chill. I did make a few really good friends who I still skype. It really depends on the person though, rather than the nationality (er...so my diplomatic angel-on-the-shoulder says).

Banned

I like Doctor Who and Sherlock, so if all British people are like them, they're okay in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I like Doctor Who and Sherlock, so if all British people are like them, they're okay in my book.
    You better pray that you don't get anybody like Sherlock... Hes a cold hearted b*st*rd. (But he is v. sexy though)

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    You better pray that you don't get anybody like Sherlock... Hes a cold hearted b*st*rd. (But he is v. sexy though)
    In the episode John Watson gets married, he made a very touching speech. Actually, I think they've handled Sherlock's character arc really well.

Btw, other great British shows include Rumpole of the Bailey, Chef! (Short lived though it was), Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster and my personal favourite, Yes, Minister!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by ckrisp View Post
    But I do love clotted cream.
    Dafuq is clotted cream?

Even after googling it, I still don't know what to make of it.
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    Dafuq is clotted cream?

Even after googling it, I still don't know what to make of it.
    Horrible nasty stuff witch is often eaton with scones and primarily in Devon.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    In the episode John Watson gets married, he made a very touching speech. Actually, I think they've handled Sherlock's character arc really well.

Btw, other great British shows include Rumpole of the Bailey, Chef! (Short lived though it was), Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster and my personal favourite, Yes, Minister!
    If you like some of the oldies, you should try; Mr Bean, Allo' Allo', and Fawlty Towers! I do love the Sherlock series, and agree that the speech was touching, the only downside is that its only once every two years....
    Last edited by sharpinthefang; May 16th, 2014 at 15:52.

I love Mr. Bean! I couldn't get into some of the more popular British stuff like Monthy Python or Dr. Who though. Go figure.

Just received my placement notification! Looks like some people will be getting them pretty soon.
    Short Listed: Halifax, Canada
    Placement: Yurihonjō, Akita-ken

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
    Just received my placement notification! Looks like some people will be getting them pretty soon.
    Where'd you get placed?

Vancouver got theirs too! Placenta info in the placement sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I love Mr. Bean! I couldn't get into some of the more popular British stuff like Monthy Python or Dr. Who though. Go figure.
    It isn't like Mr. Bean is unpopular. Hell, back in the day (in the mid 90's) Mr. Bean was one of the most popular shows on television; it was an international success.

When all is said and done Blackadder and Fawlty Towers is my jam. Those shows are off the hook. However, I don't expect every British person to act like the characters from those shows; the world would be too awesome if that was the case.
    Last edited by spman2099; May 17th, 2014 at 05:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.