Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T minus one week until We start finding out!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default T minus one week until We start finding out!

So, how to kill the Time between now and when we find out our placements (other than the pub). I think I've pretty much looked at every youtube video of JET apartments and every JET blog. I'm out of things to do! How are you killing the time?!
    Last edited by Randomgirl; May 10th, 2014 at 04:04.

Default Re: T minus one week until We start finding out!

Waiting for my call and crying quietly in a corner.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Your placement notification could be longer than a week, likely another 2. Hell, my prefecture only got tentative lists for placements yesterday from what people in BoE days were telling me, and they aren't allowed to contact for a while yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yah it could be another month for me to learn my placement but I know a few consulates at least who told their shortlisters that they'd hear mid-month, and the first post last year regarding a placement came on the 18th, so some people will find out next week or so probably. I'm curious about what others are doing to bide their time. That's all!

I imagine the following:

Circulating blood
    Breathing
    Occasionally standing
    Perhaps some sitting
    There could be walking
    There is seeing, atleast 60% of the day

But ya never know, they could just be neurotically checking their e-mail accounts waiting to hear where they are going :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    But ya never know, they could just be neurotically checking their e-mail accounts waiting to hear where they are going :P
    You'd think most people in year 2014 would use smartphone email notifications rather than checking their email hundreds of times a day. But ya never know!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

From what I hear (Toronto), we find out end late May/Early June. So quite a wait for us.

I remember the stress. Big daikon was still around when I was waiting for my placement, so I spent a bunch of time reading about JET horror stories and hoping I wouldn't get placed in Kyoto (apparently it's much better now, though). Aside from studying Japanese, I recommend doing some research on traveling in Japan to find out places you'd like to visit once you're here. Try to look at a variety of areas around the country so that once your placement comes out you'll be a bit more familiar with Japanese geography and have a slightly better understanding of what will be near you (I was woefully ignorant about the location of my placement when I got the call from the consulate). Also:

Can you name the prefectures of Japan? - Sporcle Games & Trivia

I'm all types of fail at that. 28/47.... good thing I live here eh?

I was told placements will be posted (literally posted in the mail.. Australia) around the 19th May
    Last edited by hello; May 10th, 2014 at 21:16.

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    I was told placements will be posted (literally posted in the mail.. Australia) around the 19th May
    Oh. Sweet, thanks for sharing the info.

Do all different countries tend to find out at the same time! I'm from the UK here, eagerly awaiting my placement information!

Great game!!

Windy City! You were a BD-Er too? Were you on it before it was overtaken by trolls? If so, we might know each other I totally remember thinking "please don't give me Kyoto, please don't give me Kyoto!"

Good idea - I think I might look for one lesser known thing to visit in each region, then hope I'm not placed on one of the far away islands in tokyo!!
    Last edited by Randomgirl; May 10th, 2014 at 22:52.

I didn't really post on BD, I just lurked and got really worried about life in Japan. It had pretty much gone south by the time I was applying for JET.

Something else to keep in mind is that you may get a prefectural placement (SHS) and not find out your exact placement until much, much later.
    This is especially true for Hokkaido BOE placements.
    Also, sometimes knowing your "city" doesn't really help much either because you might be in a small off shoot town that really has nothing to do with said city.
    I got my placement City-shi. Researched it, looked into it, population of over 110 000 people, etc. Then when my pred got in touch with me I found out I was actually in Town-cho 50km away from the city and with a population of 4000 people.
    I adored my placement but it's worth noting that until you get in touch with your pred nothing is certain.

I remember those days, TRWC. BD went downhill pretty fast, if I remember correctly. Before that, people actually helped each other and-gasp- got to know each other! I felt that it was futile to even try to post anything by 2004, so I came here instead (it was being toted as a much friendlier place than BD at that time).

I'd be happy even to know which prefecture I'm going to.crossing fingers that I am at least close enough to my parents in law for weekend visited (which means free time for an exhausted mummy!)

This is the next thing we have to wait for... I'm going to be exhausted before I even get there D:

Quote Originally Posted by MilkBottle View Post
    This is the next thing we have to wait for... I'm going to be exhausted before I even get there D:
    Just be happy you aren't in alternate purgatory; those are the people that are REALLY suffering. Waiting is no longer a problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    Just be happy you aren't in alternate purgatory; those are the people that are REALLY suffering. Waiting is no longer a problem for me.
    Oh I was. Fortunately, only for 3 weeks(ish). Wouldn't wish that fresh hell on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkBottle View Post
    Oh I was. Fortunately, only for 3 weeks(ish). Wouldn't wish that fresh hell on anyone.
    I appreciate the condolences.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa