Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-radio online

Default J-radio online

Anyone know of any radio stations that I can get online? I'd like to know some of the popular music before I arrive (shortlister) and start having to connect with young people there

Thanks!!!

Default Re: J-radio online

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Anyone know of any radio stations that I can get online? I'd like to know some of the popular music before I arrive (shortlister) and start having to connect with young people there

Thanks!!!
    Yeah, there's nothing like an old fart trying too hard to like the cool things to open the hearts of the youth.

There are tonnes of weeaboo streaming stations. A quick google will help you there.

Fair warning: If you teach older students (JHS, SHS) they will have very varied tastes and very few of them will actually "love" the popular stuff when asked about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

There are quite a few Japanese music podcasts, too.

A lot of people wouldn't call me an old fart - at least none of the jhs/SHS students at the school I currently work at do. Bravo on making assumptions. You know what they say when people ass u me things...

I asked the question after already googling, but alas, the ones I've found that offer streaming won't allow me access from overseas. I was hoping for concrete sites that people have found that do work overseas.

...and people wonder why some are tentative to post on here. Sigh

A lot of people wouldn't call me an old fart - at least none of the jhs/SHS students at the school I currently work at do. Bravo on making assumptions. You know what they say when people ass u me things...
    Yes, it makes an ass out of u.

Over 25 in a SHS and you are officially old. As you were on JET forever ago, I have to assume you have gone past that Christmas Cake sell-by date. (Unless you finished undergrad by 12.) Trying too hard to talk about pop interests is just a little off-putting. Talk about the students' real interests and ask them what things they like, if you're going to put pop culture into lessons. (Which is a bad idea anyway, since those popular this year will be forgotten next year.) I remember teachers trying that, and they always seemed like bellends to my friends and I.

Are you searching in Japanese or English? Don't look for actual Japanese stations. The ones in my area play very little music, anyway. Check the internet radio part of itunes (At least I THINK it still has that section; might not with itunes radio launching) Also, as TRWC said, there are plenty of podcasts.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; May 12th, 2014 at 08:56.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Full on assumption about how I'm going to put my knowledge of popular music to use. Full stop. You don't know me and I'd really appreciate it if you just passed by anything I post. I don't have the energy to waste on people who are a) unkind and b) don't have anything useful to offer me. I'm too old for that.

He's right though. Even if you are only 21 it would still look weird and forced to the kids if you started chatting about J-pop. Many of them are more savvy than you think.

It's better to just pick it up when you get here. Plenty of them will like Western pop culture too.

You know what they say when people ass u me things...
    Personally, I don't. You are making an assumption yourself.

I asked the question after already googling, but alas, the ones I've found that offer streaming won't allow me access from overseas. I was hoping for concrete sites that people have found that do work overseas.
    You might try something like TuneIn Radio. They have streams from all over the place available. I don't know specifically about Japanese radio, but there's a good chance they have something.

Uthink does have a point that your students may not know that much about who is current in Japanese music, and may not have real preferences if they do. It's the same as asking students in the USA or UK about music: if you ask someone who's into it, they'll know things. Otherwise, you'll get an "I've heard of X..."
    ...because Japan.

I'm too old for that.
    At least you got that part right.

Full on assumption about how I'm going to put my knowledge of popular music to use. Full stop. You don't know me and I'd really appreciate it if you just passed by anything I post. I don't have the energy to waste on people who are a) unkind and b) don't have anything useful to offer me. I'm too old for that.
    If you like, but I'm honestly not trying to be unkind, and I don't think my take was particularly unuseful.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Yeah, there's nothing like an old fart trying too hard to like the cool things to open the hearts of the youth.
    Over 25 in a SHS and you are officially old. As you were on JET forever ago, I have to assume you have gone past that Christmas Cake sell-by date.
    I'm honestly not trying to be unkind
    Sure...
    ...because Japan.

I found when I came here that I shared music tastes with almost none of my kids (goes the same for tv and movies, too). JHS boys are nearly impossible to pin down as they are pushed to devote all their time to sports, studying, or Japan's idea of "man things", I've only met a few with more than a passing intrest. Girls are mostly Johnny's (I think that's what it is anyway, Sexy Zone and Kis-my-ft2 or whatever the fk). It's mostly a mix of bubblegum pop from TV and anime music up until JHS, not necessarily what's on the actual Japanese Top 100 or whatever. SHS I have no idea about, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Music is nice because you can play it in the background while you do other things, but if you want to be slightly more up-to-date about the pop culture things your students are talking about, I would recommend watching some Japanese "variety" shows. It's kind of hard to find Japanese TV online, but if you can it'll be better language practice and more "culturally relevant" (in the sense that you know the current catchphrase of the latest 15-minutes-of-fame comedy duo) than music.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; May 12th, 2014 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Music is nice because you can play it in the background while you do other things, but if you want to be slightly more up-to-date about the pop culture things your students are talking about, I would recommend watching some Japanese "variety" shows. It's kind of hard to find Japanese TV online, but if you can it'll be better language practice and more "culturally relevant" (in the sense that you know the current catchphrase of the latest 15-minutes-of-fame comedy duo) than music.
    That I can help with:
    MacKeyHoleTV 2.7 | Hello-Mac.com

U da real mvp.

That I can help with:
    MacKeyHoleTV 2.7 | Hello-Mac.com

Also, not a day goes by that I don't hear my students talking about this:

Puzzle Dragons on the App Store on iTunes

I'd like to know some of the popular music before I arrive (shortlister) and start having to connect with young people there
    For students you just pretend to like the same things that they all pretend to like. That's what they all do and that way you don't have to subject yourself to the supreme awfulness that is Japanese music.

Honestly, I've had a lot of luck checking the Japan iTunes. But I'm not sure if that'd work. Worst case, have something memorized you can pull out. My JHS girls love Taylor Swift and would rather try to talk to me about the English singers, so ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

...there used to be an ignored/blocked user option on the forum? This may help you block the posts of users you find offensive. I'm not sure how it works though, but maybe a mod can help you?
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Honestly, I've had a lot of luck checking the Japan iTunes. But I'm not sure if that'd work. Worst case, have something memorized you can pull out. My JHS girls love Taylor Swift and would rather try to talk to me about the English singers, so ymmv.
    It depends. If you want to find actual Japanese music that's decent then it's a whole different discussion. If you want to impress your kids (though you probably won't) then all you have to do is know the maybe 5 groups that are acceptable to like. And frankly your kids will be more interested if you can name foreign artists they've heard of. So basically pretend to like Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne and (for some reason) Chris Brown and maybe they'll be vaguely interested for a few minutes.

Oh also a lot of kids like Korean stuff still but you're not allowed to like that these days. CNBlue and Girl's Generation are still popular though so if you find a kid who likes them then you can chat about them in secret. Since Korean pop is at least moderately ok pop music this could work. Don't try and talk about Kara though, everyone in Japan and Korea hates them now.

But your kids won't like or have heard of any Japanese music that's even vaguely decent.

Don't try and talk about Kara though, everyone in Japan and Korea hates them now.
    Why? What happened?