Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuff to buy/make for THE CHILDREN!

Default Stuff to buy/make for THE CHILDREN!

Let's gobble gobble about what we're intending to buy/make or what we've already bought/made for our future students...

I have a serious question first though:
    Would handing out buttons to the students be appropriate? The buttons with those little pins on the back? I feel like they would be awesome to give out during a game or whatever. Or are pins too dangerous?

I know that we're about to find out whether we'll get younger kids or highschoolers but, ya...
    Last edited by pdgrizzles; May 12th, 2014 at 12:07.

Default Re: Stuff to buy/make for THE CHILDREN!

I think you'd be fine outside of Elementary school, though I'm not sure if they have them in Japan which might mean they have no idea what to do with them.

My general advice though is to not make giving them stuff a regular part of your lessons. If you have something different or special planned or want to set up some kind of points system or whatever (never seemed that great to me, but some people do it) then I guess it's ok. In general though they should be participating in classes because your lesson are interesting and because they're supposed to be paying attention. Other teachers don't bribe them to listen and answer questions so the ALT shouldn't either.

ok, good point

Depending on who your JTEs are, I could see people balking at pins, although students at my JHS are allowed to put a few pins on their bookbags (one of the few things they're allowed to personalize). Like Jiggit said, some ALTs hand out points/cards to students who make an effort both in and outside of class and then have some sort of raffle or prize at the end of the semester. If I gave prizes away regularly, I'd probably have to work up quite a budget because I see so many students every week.

I would say dedicate your time/ budget to making interesting lessons rather than buying prizes. Sometimes I do something craft-y with the kids, like making snowflakes or paper jack-o-lanterns. I think it means more to them to be able to take home something cool that they made than just being given a badge or sticker.

Giving out prizes on special occasions is fine, but when you're handing them out on a regular basis the students get used to being given stuff, and to doing well because it means getting a sticker rather than out of any sort of actual motivation. Also, at ES level at least, most kids are super-hyped about just about everything so you don't need to encourage them with special prizes.

If you do want to give stuff out, things like stickers or postcards work well- no one gets stabbed with a sharp pin, and they're super light. Just try to keep it an occasional thing.
    ES and JHS ALT

Quote Originally Posted by chikorita View Post
    I would say dedicate your time/ budget to making interesting lessons rather than buying prizes.
    That is what August is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

don't buy or make anything. If you do, buy some stickers that are small and make sure you have plenty of them. Outside of that, everything else is a no no.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

if you want to spend your own money on the school then buy something useful like a can of kereosene so you dont have to wait until the temperature drops to -10 before they turn the heating on.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Stickers, points and stamps. I'd only give out prizes when the kid has gone beyond what they've been asked of in class. So for instance if they've done extra work on top of their homework or classwork and in their own time. The school I am currently at gives out badges as prizes and had to change how they do things because students preferred to get other things instead. Edible prizes always seem more popular.

Write letters to government officials in your city/town. Your government should have a website and emails for everyone in office. Send letters to all who apply (especially to education and international affairs people) telling them about your role in Japan and ask if they have anything they can give you to support education and internationalization, such as books, flags, pins, posters, CDs, etc. I got TONS of free stuff by doing this and my kids loved what they got. Anyone who got a pin had it on their pen case all three years, and it helped them to remember my non-famous city/province name.

You can view a copy of the letter that I sent here: JET Programme Forums View topic - How to Get Started

simply insert your details and send away!

I give out my prizes in my first lesson. I do a true and false quiz game and have students guess answers when I say something false. For example, "I am from the United States." (False) "Where am I from?" (Correct person gets a prize).

I also give stuff away for Canada Day just for fun.

Another great prize is money. Bring a sack of clean pennies/nickels/etc. They're good for cultural education, are super cheap, and kids love it. I had a small collection of special quarters from Canada too that was a great prize/token.

Prizes for me are more about giving things that are interesting rather than being an external motivator (although some external motivation has a place). Even after a game, if kids come to me and want to see something I was giving away and asks questions about it, I'll usually give them something also.
    Once in a blue moon I'll make magnets that correspond to games we play just for fun. Back in Canada when I taught high school (senior 4/grade12), I decided to put stickers on work that got 90% or more for fun. My students were surprisingly excited about it because of the nostalgia factor of getting stickers in elementary school. Some worked harder to get the sticker...lol To be honest, I was the same way as a kid. Some students want proof of success. There are other ways to do that too, like stamps (or your hanko), using graphs to chart their progress, and so on. Sometimes if I have a goal, like exercising, I'll give myself stickers on my calendar for days I do well. We can't deny our craving for some forms of external motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by Namisuke View Post
    Write letters to government officials in your city/town. Your government should have a website and emails for everyone in office. Send letters to all who apply (especially to education and international affairs people) telling them about your role in Japan and ask if they have anything they can give you to support education and internationalization, such as books, flags, pins, posters, CDs, etc. I got TONS of free stuff by doing this and my kids loved what they got. Anyone who got a pin had it on their pen case all three years, and it helped them to remember my non-famous city/province name.

You can view a copy of the letter that I sent here: JET Programme Forums View topic - How to Get Started

I give out my prizes in my first lesson. I do a true and false quiz game and have students guess answers when I say something false. For example, "I am from the United States." (False) "Where am I from?" (Correct person gets a prize).

Another great prize is money. Bring a sack of clean pennies/nickels/etc. They're good for cultural education, are super cheap, and kids love it. I had a small collection of special quarters from Canada too that was a great prize/token.

Prizes for me are more about giving things that are interesting rather than being an external motivator (although some external motivation has a place). Even after a game, if kids come to me and want to see something I was giving away and asks questions about it, I'll usually give them something also.
    Once in a blue moon I'll make magnets that correspond to games we play just for fun. Back in Canada when I taught high school (senior 4/grade12), I decided to put stickers on work that got 90% or more for fun. My students were surprisingly excited about it because of the nostalgia factor of getting stickers in elementary school. Some worked harder to get the sticker...lol To be honest, I was the same way as a kid. Some students want proof of success. There are other ways to do that too, like stamps (or your hanko), using graphs to chart their progress, and so on. Sometimes if I have a goal, like exercising, I'll give myself stickers on my calendar for days I do well. We can't deny our craving for some forms of external motivation!
    THIS! ALL OF THIS!!!

I actually used this last year when I came over (thanks Namisuke for posting that last year). I sent it out early, as in just after placements, and recieved most of my stuff a week or two before I left. I was given so much stuff that I couldn't bring it all. I was given promotional DVDs, post cards, pins, travel books, photo books, you name it. Do it and do it early. Send it to everyone who is in office in your area, at worst you are out the price of postage at best you will have stuff to give away.

Quote Originally Posted by Namisuke View Post

What level do you teach in Japan?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I'd rather fill my suitcase with clothes and stuff but whatever floats your boat.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It really depends on your kids. I got a bunch of stuff from my local tourism board, and the kids really didn't care about it. They loved the pictures I brought of my family, house, and pets though. I ended up throwing out all the brochures I brough and search on Google for pictures whenever I need them.

As for prizes, be careful about handing out food or money, especially at JHS. There's probably rules about the students not being allowed snacks since it'll discourage them from finishing their school lunch. A lot of schools also ban the students from carrying money, or at least more than however much it costs to make a phone call, since the students might cause trouble with it. It should be ok to bring money to pass around. As for pins and other items that the students could put on their bags or whatever, a few schools are really strict about that since students having a bunch of stuff on their school bag hurts their image for some reason (or at least some parents at my school have complained about other kids having crap on their bags and thus making their child look bad).

I brought a couple of English-dubbed Ghibli movies, and the kids got a kick out of watching them. It's hard for the kids to follow the full movie since there aren't Japanese subtitles, but short scenes used as listening practice worked well. One of my JTEs also showed them one of the DBZ movies dubbed in English, and they thought it was hilarious.

I teach SHS. There aren't any rules at my school for handing out food, money, pins, etc. It's fine to bring stuff anyway. Sometimes you might attend English camps or international events that those are good for. A bag of pins really doesn't take up much luggage space. To be honest, a good section of my luggage was full or gifts and teaching stuff, but Air Canada allows 2 check-in pieces of luggage, so it was fine. You don't have to bring stuff, but I was glad I did. I always enjoyed getting little things from exchange students in high school, and I still have what I got.

Check with the nurse before you hand out any food incase someone has allergies

Not sure where to post this - do any schools in Japan have interactive whiteboards (ex: SMARTboards)? They're pretty standard where I'm from, even in inner city schools.

They haven't even made it to regular whiteboards yet, give them a chance!
    Hah. Oh. So... chalkboards then?

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    Not sure where to post this - do any schools in Japan have interactive whiteboards (ex: SMARTboards)? They're pretty standard where I'm from, even in inner city schools.
    My JHS has a couple smartboards. I am the only person on staff who knows how to use them (because technology.) In fact, my school has several of them, stuck in corners and storage (empty) rooms throughout the school from when they merged schools 6 or 7 years ago...

My ES has TVs with a smartboard-esc pen input thing. Only one teacher uses it in the English classes, but most teachers seem to use it for other things.