Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Clothing advice for new JETs

Default Re: Clothing advice for new JETs

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    The antagonism towards China is very real in my part of Japan.
    Playing dictionary and one student picked the China card and they way they drew it? With massive factory chimneys and waves of 'polution'. Kids guessed it within two tries.
    We're heading increasingly off-topic here, but what was the first guess?

On the subject of hair, one piece of advice I've heard more than once is that first impressions are key. If you turn up with conservative hair and then go a bit zany, there might be comments. If you turn up zany (within reason, obviously), they'll more than likely accept it. Of course, if you then go conservative, there will be questions about if you're feeling ok, but there won't be teeth-sucking.

That goes for guys and beards, as well. Turn up with one, fine. Grow one after first arriving clean-shaven, teeth-sucking.
    ...because Japan.

I disagree about beards. I only have a winter beard, which means I've never had a beard when I started but grew one later and I've never had any problems.

Of course I'm not saying no school would have a problem with it. But I think the ones that would be cool with it outnumber the ones that wouldn't.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_kupo View Post
    Maybe I'm overthinking this, but... what are acceptable hairstyles for female ALTs? I'm not talking about zany dye jobs or shaving one side of my head like Skrillex, but as in wearing one's hair up or down. Is one way more professional or preferred than the other? Are ponytails or loose buns too casual?

I tend to wear my hair down all the time and have zero skill with "styling" my hair any other way (I can't even braid).

Thanks!
    Just to add my experience, I wear my hair in a variety of ways (down, ponytail, bun, half up, braided headband, a variety of different braided styles) and I haven't really had comments about it. I had a teacher tell me she liked my hair once and of course the students like to make comments, but thats it (I wore braided pigtails once and a girl told me I looked like a middle schooler haha. Anyway, they all seem to love braids because they constantly tell me I look like a character from Frozen). From what I've seen the other female teachers either wear their hair down, in a ponytail, or have short hair.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but often times comments like, "nice/interesting hair", mean the opposite, they just don't wanna confront you about it. Same with perfume and the like, it's about keeping the "harmony" of the work place by not making you lose face.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but often times comments like, "nice/interesting hair", mean the opposite, they just don't wanna confront you about it. Same with perfume and the like, it's about keeping the "harmony" of the work place by not making you lose face.
    This is true. It's a tricky thing to catch if you aren't familiar with the nuances of Japanese office culture. It may be fine, though; the comments could be quite sincere.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Everyone at my schools told me my recent haircut was "cool", and indeed my barber mentioned that it might a little too cool(for school). I don't think the staff really minded it one way or another, but maybe it was just a "Your haircut attracts attention, in case you didn't realize."

In my experience its only ever been sincere comments. She actually said something like, "Today's hairstyle is very cute!" and then I saw her wearing something similar the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We're heading increasingly off-topic here, but what was the first guess?

On the subject of hair, one piece of advice I've heard more than once is that first impressions are key. If you turn up with conservative hair and then go a bit zany, there might be comments. If you turn up zany (within reason, obviously), they'll more than likely accept it. Of course, if you then go conservative, there will be questions about if you're feeling ok, but there won't be teeth-sucking.

That goes for guys and beards, as well. Turn up with one, fine. Grow one after first arriving clean-shaven, teeth-sucking.
    The first guess was Korea.

My hair has got a natural blonde streak running though the middle of it, and my kids are convinced its either a) my real hair colour, or b) gold that i weave into it daily. Even if i'm wearing my hair down that day....
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Grew a beard partway through the year (one of the other male teachers grows a somewhat wimpy goatee on and off)
    Only negative comment was one of the female teachers saying I should shave, but mostly kids saying "kakkoii" and scratching it. Now that it's getting a bit cooler, I've already got my natural face warmer on.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I've had a beard since I got here. Some times it's a full beard, some times it's a goatee, but there is always fur on my face. No one says anything to me about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.