Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fukushima questions

Default Re: Fukushima questions

There's nothing to worry about, even in the "no go zone" it's not that bad apart from a few hotspots.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Does this mean people have already gotten placements?

Don't think so, these are "if you get placed here" questions.

What if you travel everywhere by hot-air balloon and your kids accidentally drift into the sea directly next to the reactor. WHAT THEN?

It's not too bad down by the sea, radiation isn't much higher than the rest of the country.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ah, the natural beauty of glorious Nippon!

Default Re: Placement Discussion

You are a good 2.5+ hours away, if not more. How far away do your parents want you to be? As said, if you want to be dictated by your parents your whole life, if you`re cool with it and you don`t mind then sure, drop out. I am sure someone would be willing to snap that placement up in seconds. I live in Fukushima, MUCH closer than to the plant than anyone in Sendai. My mother was against it, but I said fuck if I care, I have done my research and I came, and I do not regret a thing. Also Kamirose lives even closer than I, we have both said it is fine. We would not lie to you.
    Last edited by Antonath; May 20th, 2014 at 16:03.

2.5+ hours to sendai? how slow do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by yingyangryder View Post
    You are a good 2.5+ hours away, if not more. How far away do your parents want you to be? As said, if you want to be dictated by your parents your whole life, if you`re cool with it and you don`t mind then sure, drop out. I am sure someone would be willing to snap that placement up in seconds. I live in Fukushima, MUCH closer than to the plant than anyone in Sendai. My mother was against it, but I said fuck if I care, I have done my research and I came, and I do not regret a thing. Also Kamirose lives even closer than I, we have both said it is fine. We would not lie to you.

There are just so many mixed messages it is hard to know what is the right thing to do. In regards to everyone having a go at me for caring about what my parents think, I feel like it would be a selfish decision to put myself in a position where my parents are worrying about me everyday, they told me that if i choose to move to sendai, then that is my choice and they won't stop me.

I am still have obvious concerns myself, it is not just my parents that are making me hesitant.

You can't deny it is a risky choice to make. I understand there is evidence to prove it is safe, and cities like New York and Paris have higher radiation levels than Sendai, but they don't have a damaged nuclear plant nearby.

Please no more negative comments guys, I was just looking for support and I have received that from some so thank you.

I love Japan and want to participate in JET more than ever, I just wanted to make sure I am making an educated decision

Quote Originally Posted by ekm View Post
    You can't deny it is a risky choice to make.
    Moving anywhere in Japan can be a risk for anyone. You are right to feel the way you do. Think it over yourself and you'll eventually make the right decision.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

I can and will deny it.

There is zero risk of suffering negative effects from radiation living in Sendai at the moment and there is zero risk of anything happening at the plant in the future that would affect people in Sendai. Of course if the reactor 4 building collapses most of the hamadori coast in fukushima will be screwed but thats about it.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I can and will deny it.

There is zero risk of suffering negative effects from radiation living in Sendai at the moment and there is zero risk of anything happening at the plant in the future that would affect people in Sendai. Of course if the reactor 4 building collapses most of the hamadori coast in fukushima will be screwed but thats about it.
    Doesn't the mountain range between fukushima and sendai basically mean the weather pattern could never really shift even IF fukushima could meltdown and disperse ionizing radiation? (Which from what I understand it is no longer capable of doing so)

ekm, I wish you the best, and hope you make an informed decision about it. I wouldn't worry about your parents too much, they are adults and can deal with things themselves (much like we are asking you to do). Also, don't dismiss what Ini is saying, he actually lives there.

Honestly, you would be turning down one of the nicest JET placements in the entire country on a risk. Said risk is lower than the chances of you getting hit by a car where ever you live (especially lower if you live in city). I have a few friends who have lived there and do live there and I am always insanely jealous of them, even though I can get there in three hours by bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

There are just so many mixed messages it is hard to know what is the right thing to do. In regards to everyone having a go at me for caring about what my parents think, I feel like it would be a selfish decision to put myself in a position where my parents are worrying about me everyday, they told me that if i choose to move to sendai, then that is my choice and they won't stop me.

I am still have obvious concerns myself, it is not just my parents that are making me hesitant.

You can't deny it is a risky choice to make. I understand there is evidence to prove it is safe, and cities like New York and Paris have higher radiation levels than Sendai, but they don't have a damaged nuclear plant nearby.

Please no more negative comments guys, I was just looking for support and I have received that from some so thank you.

I love Japan and want to participate in JET more than ever, I just wanted to make sure I am making an educated decision

Sendai is not Fukushima. Sendai is not anywhere close to Fukushima. My friend lives in Sendai with her 2.5 year old daughter. She was 8 months pregnant when the quake happened. She is a very intelligent, very, very, VERY cautious person. Especially when it comes to radiation and the health of her family. And she continues to live in Sendai.

Hi ekm. I can understand the way you are feeling because I was in the same position as you. I was placed in a prefecture adjacent to Fukushima - in fact much closer to the plant than Miyagi is. Personally I wasn't too worried about it, but my parents were quite upset. I did some research, and they also did some research, and we talked about. I never considered forfeiting my spot, but I also didn't want them to worry about me all the time. Every one we talked to had similar responses - the radiation levels are constantly monitored and are well within safe limits and there is nothing to worry about. As long as you are outside the exclusion zone you are perfectly safe, and you are very far away from it. You can find more info in the Fukushima thread. My advice is to gather all the info you can and share it with your parents (this seems to be what you are doing anyway). They should come around eventually, and hopefully the information will help alleviate some of your own concerns too. Good luck with your decision, I hope you decide to come and have a blast on JET

I live in a city that is half in the exclusion zone, in the closest district to the exclusion zone that is still open (I suppose I should finally name it, I live in Haramachi district in Minamisoma City). I also work at the elementary school closest to the exclusion zone that is still open, I'm there once a week. I feel 100% perfectly safe, based on my own research and the radiation counters that are everywhere in the prefecture. The exclusion zone around the power plant is a 20km radius. Sendai is 110km from the power plant.

You should make whatever decision you're comfortable with, I'm not trying to pressure you or anything. But Sendai is, empirically, with no room for interpretation, 100% safe and not in any danger from the nuclear power plant in Fukushima.

throwing out there that while i'm not in tohoku at all, i came in 2011. my parents (and i) were pretty concerned, but since my father happens to work in the nuclear industry, he had to attend some information meetings about the status of the plant for his job. it had the bonus of allaying those fears even back then. i'll be starting year 4 this summer.

My parents still worry about radiation and such. I live 400ish miles away from Dai-ichi. They didn't believe me until I pointed out the same distance using a US map. They've always been worry-worts though. I found 75 or so emails from them the first time I checked after I got here, and that was way before the big earthquake. They got better (until the earthquake at least) once they realized that moving to Japan wasn't as dangerous as they thought. Yours will be fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamirose View Post
    The exclusion zone around the power plant is a 20km radius.
    well not really, not for the last year or so. you might not want to live in the 10-20km area but you can pretty much wander around it if you want. the security checks are at the 10km mark.

2.5+ hours to sendai? how slow do you drive?
    I don't, used google maps.

Anyway, Fukushima is and has been fine (minus the exclusion area). I can understand that some people worry but with the wealth of knowledge available, I would imagine that is easy to make an informed decision.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

There are just so many mixed messages it is hard to know what is the right thing to do.
    listen to the science and evidence. Tell the people who tell you otherwise that they are stupid and that they should fek off.

if the evidence and science doesn't sway you, nothing else will. Don't come. Harsh for me to say, but there are others that will gladly take your place. The choice is yours.
    Come or don't... It doesn't matter to us. So why would we lie to bring you here, or scare you away.

Like Ini, I can and I will deny that it is a risky choice. you have more of a risk flying over the pacific ocean. You have more of a risk of dieing in a car accident. You have more of a risk of getting prostate cancer from some other source.

If you can't realize that, you are not cut out for life in Japan. I'm not trying to be mean, but that is the harsh reality of life. If you can't come to grips with the idea that Sendai isn't dangerous YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE LIFE IN JAPAN. Because the other problems and risks of living abroad will eat you alive.

I understand there is evidence to prove it is safe, and cities like New York and Paris have higher radiation levels than Sendai, but they don't have a damaged nuclear plant nearby.

baseless fears are baseless. New York is on the coast and could suffer a devestating flood and hurricane. Paris, is full of french people. a damaged nuclear plant that is highly studied and being decontaminated is the least of your concerns honey.

just like earlier, if you can't handle any more negative comments you need to cancel coming to Japan and skip JET. If your skin is this thin, YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE LIVING IN JAPAN

If you think this is negative, you haven't seen anything yet...

do you love Japan? how do you know? if your love of "Japan" and the evidence and science isn't enough to convince you to come to Japan than don't come. Seriously... Someone else will gladly take the opportunity you will skip, and no one will give a shit but you. Make your own decision.
    Come or Don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.