Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALTs who speak Japanese during classes

Default Re: ALTs who speak Japanese during classes

I'm going to agree with Jigster. Especially if you are well outside of a big city, you are their only real English exposure. Even if you have to dumb it down or mix in Japanese words for them to get it, it is REALLY important that they get as much as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by smapattack View Post
    Lastly, if I were teaching Japanese in a school in America, and the students were speaking English to the teacher after class, I would NEVER say,
    "HEY! You need to say that in Japanese!"
    I would just be happy that they were communicating. I think, especially for the Japanese people, that learning through any communication that people from overseas are not that different and building a relationship is just as important as learning English.
    English is a Hell of a lot more important to them than Japanese is to anyone else outside of Paris and Hawaii.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; September 3rd, 2014 at 08:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Util is spot on about perspective. To us English speakers, learning another language is a hobby act, most of the time. To the Japanese people, learning English is a potential future employment issue. You just can't compare the intrinsic and extrinsic motivations in an English speaking country and non English speaking country. They are absolutely not the same.

You principals are right to support your desire to speak Japanese, but you must balance that with opportunities for them to use English with you as well. You aren't here to be their friend, you are here to be their English interaction device. Use Japanese when appropriate, and use English when you know they can probably do it to build skills and student confidence level.

I really do think most jtes couldn't give two flying fucks about the rest of the jet programs goals, and I could be surprised if one in a hundred actually knew about any of those goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Cant you just use common sense? If little Fat Tanakas dad just died in a tragic accident shes probably not in the mood to have some goon jumping around like a monkey and blurting out some bizarre foerign language at her but if Yankee McOrange is talking about how he wants a R33 skyline you could tell him in English about how much poon you got at his age in your old ford cossie.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Cant you just use common sense? If little Fat Tanakas dad just died in a tragic accident shes probably not in the mood to have some goon jumping around like a monkey and blurting out some bizarre foerign language at her but if Yankee McOrange is talking about how he wants a R33 skyline you could tell him in English about how much poon you got at his age in your old ford cossie.
    Everyone knows the R33 isn't the one to get.

R32, R34, R35
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I don't speak Japanese to my kids until they graduate. Like util said, it's really important for them to get exposure to English. Even if they don't understand every word you say, they usually get the general idea. I've seen lots of kids who improved their listening skills dramatically just by coming to chat with me on a daily basis. A lot of them didn't speak much English themselves, but they understood what I said and responded appropriately in Japanese. I encourage the kids to speak English, but don't force it if the kid looks like they're not interested. I also don't mind if they need to take a minute and ask their friends to helps them understand. Be patient, and you can build relationships with the kids while still speaking English to them.

Also remember that you're getting paid to help the kids improve their English, not to improve your Japanese. Use the teachers or random bar folk for Japanese practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Util is spot on about perspective. To us English speakers, learning another language is a hobby act, most of the time. To the Japanese people, learning English is a potential future employment issue. You just can't compare the intrinsic and extrinsic motivations in an English speaking country and non English speaking country. They are absolutely not the same.

You principals are right to support your desire to speak Japanese, but you must balance that with opportunities for them to use English with you as well. You aren't here to be their friend, you are here to be their English interaction device. Use Japanese when appropriate, and use English when you know they can probably do it to build skills and student confidence level.

I really do think most jtes couldn't give two flying fucks about the rest of the jet programs goals, and I could be surprised if one in a hundred actually knew about any of those goals.
    We`ll have to agree to disagree.
    It`s that mindset that makes English-speaking people devalue learning other languages. I think it`s important for people to learn another language for many reasons. Learning a foreign language opens a lot of doors depending on how much you put into it. It would also help if you don`t live in a xenophobic country that doesn`t have the native people leave or have any foreign people coming in. *coughJAPANcough*

Let`s be realistic. Many Japanese people will not go on to use English in their job in Japan. I would think that`s one of the main reasons why they`re not so good at it. However, I also think another reason is because they don`t want to communicate with foreigners. So, I think it`s more important right now for us to be breaking down barriers. It seems there is a big cultural barrier in separating `them` and `us`. I think that needs to be broken down before any meaningful learning can take place.

I do not appreciate the JTEs putting ALTs on a stage and saying, `Take a look at this foreigner. He/she doesn`t know English so don`t speak to it in anything other than English."

It`s interesting to note that the schools that push this thought process is where I`ve heard the students also call me `gaijin` or `uchuujin` the most. I despise that way of thinking and if they were to carry that thought-process/mindset on after school rather than remembering the English (which would be the more likely situation) it would be a detriment to them and the big, dumb gaijins of the world.

It`s a shame, and I find I just can`t accept this way of thinking.

Stuff
    You're right, if only the Japanese could be more open minded and understanding of other cultures like you are.

We`ll have to agree to disagree.
    It`s that mindset that makes English-speaking people devalue learning other languages. I think it`s important for people to learn another language for many reasons. Learning a foreign language opens a lot of doors depending on how much you put into it. It would also help if you don`t live in a xenophobic country that doesn`t have the native people leave or have any foreign people coming in. *coughJAPANcough*

Let`s be realistic. Many Japanese people will not go on to use English in their job in Japan. I would think that`s one of the main reasons why they`re not so good at it. However, I also think another reason is because they don`t want to communicate with foreigners. So, I think it`s more important right now for us to be breaking down barriers. It seems there is a big cultural barrier in separating `them` and `us`. I think that needs to be broken down before any meaningful learning can take place.

I do not appreciate the JTEs putting ALTs on a stage and saying, `Take a look at this foreigner. He/she doesn`t know English so don`t speak to it in anything other than English."

It`s interesting to note that the schools that push this thought process is where I`ve heard the students also call me `gaijin` or `uchuujin` the most. I despise that way of thinking and if they were to carry that thought-process/mindset on after school rather than remembering the English (which would be the more likely situation) it would be a detriment to them and the big, dumb gaijins of the world.

It`s a shame, and I find I just can`t accept this way of thinking.
    You're missing the point. They need English to enter a good High School. They need English to get into a Decent University. They (probably) need English to get in on the groundfloor of a Decent Company. They NEED it. Even if they never speak it in their job, even if they never see another Gary Gaijin, they must have it to move forward in their careers in any meaningful way.

Beyond that, English is the lingua franca. It opens hundreds of thousands of doors. Chinese and Spanish open almost as many. Japanese only opens a few thousand.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; September 3rd, 2014 at 15:08.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

The problem isn't that they don't want to communicate with foreigners. It's that they want to but have no idea how. Look at your kids' face the next time they speak English to you and you indicate that you understood what they said.

There's a reason that there are so many English conversation schools and countless books and DVDs on how to speak English.

I think you mean Guy Jean-kun.
    Go-mehn-nuh-sa-ii.

U da real mvp.

You be surprised how many stereotypes you live up to even if you do speak Japanese with them. You'll always march to the beat of your own drum if you didn't grow up here.
    I think the main thing is that they think "we Japanese are difference from the others". But they aren't looking at big picture when they say that. (That is a whole topic.)

Anyway, I spoke a mix with someone my students/ schools and no Japanese at other schools. At the higher level schools I always tried to talk to the students in simple language that I knew that had studied. But I had a school that was super low level, none of those kids were going to college, never mind a job that needs English. At that school, "grassroots internationalization" was the focus.

But I think it's a case by case issue. If my high level students asked me a question on culture but I didn't think they would understand the answer in English but I felt it was important for them to understand, the Japanese would come out.

Only you, your JTEs, your VP and your students know what is best for that particular situation. Do your thing.

But in my experience and from my point of view, the upper echelon tends to strict or babies (patronizes) those under them in this country. (I see it in the company I work for as well.) Sounds like your JTE is the strict one and the VP is the softy. Maybe find a middle ground?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

You're right, if only the Japanese could be more open minded and understanding of other cultures like you are.
    Nailed it
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I just throw in the odd Japanese word for humour. The kids get a crack out of me when I compliment a student by saying "jouzu desu ne!" or something like that. It wakes them up and helps maintain their attention. Other than that, I kind of let my JTE gauge how much Japanese is needed for the kids to understand because that's their job.

Now, that being said, I don't teach ES, just JHS.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

What are they supposed to call you? Extranjero? külföldi? ਪਰਦੇਸੀ? Japanese is peppered with enough English words, I don't see what the big issue is.

As a side note, I refuse to take advice from someone who can't use a keyboard. It's a principles thing.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Why are you using the language of terror?
    Banbanbanbanbanban