Thread: Teaching kids with learning disabilities

Default Teaching kids with learning disabilities

I've been asked to help tutor a JHS kid who possibly has a learning disability. He has problems reading and remembering information in all of his classes. His mother told the teacher that he studies and writes stuff in his notebook for hours and hours but still gets really bad grades. I saw one of his recent English notebooks. The teacher had the kids practice writing stuff like "He is a baseball player" and "This is a pen." Kid managed to copy those sentences perfectly once or twice, but they somehow became stuff like "He watashi notebook baseball". Obviously, the method of copy things a billion times in your notebook isn't working for this kid. What are some things I could do to help him?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Teaching kids with learning disabilities

Has he been identified as dyslexic in Japanese, because if it's a straight Subj+be+obj sentence, he shouldn't randomly be writing romaji Japanese in it....

Also, is it possible he's just a shit disturber? He is JHS and my just be rebelling, not actually having a real learning disability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

No official diagnosis, just reports from both the kid's mom and his previous ES teachers. He's a really sweet kid who tries his best in class, so I'm pretty sure it's not a rebellion thing. Something's just off.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Well, I don't have much advice to give you, as I never learned about dyslexics and management in language problems (wasn't part of our course for some strange reason).

I guess it comes down to how often you'll see the kid, and if it's a language problem, or a mental problem. Not much you can do until you see the kid and do your own diagnosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

TPRS and TPR maybe... Personally it helped me with Chinese and Japanese.

In all honesty the best thing to do is listen to the kid read, write, and speak and identify problems then start working on those problems one by one. Do the biggest problems first and don't overload him with all the problems at once. Keep reviewing and repeating and make sure activities force the kid to focus on the issues at hand. Copying stuff a million times is useless if the kid is on auto pilot and not paying attention when he is doing it.

I would also look at whatever test the kid has to take and use that as a guide. Choose vocab, structures, and grammar that are going to be most common. Get as much bang for your buck for as little as you can.

Not an expert opinion but that is stuff that worked for me.
    Last edited by jwkelley; May 19th, 2014 at 14:14.