Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what's the deal with pre-departure orientation?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default So, what's the deal with pre-departure orientation?

Apparently, London pre-departure orientation is 10th-11th July this year. But as far as I know, that's all the info we've been sent regarding the matter. I'd like to get organised and buy my train tickets and sort out accommodation in advance as I live quite far from London. Could anyone please tell me where the orientation is held (does JET rent a venue to house all ALTs for the seminars -or is it held in the embassy itself?) and whether they put us up for accommodation, as it is a two day thing. I read somewhere that seminars were scheduled 10:00-19:00 in a previous year! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: So, what's the deal with pre-departure orientation?

It's likely the embassy hasn't finalized the location yet. Is this an optional orientation? If so, they probably won't provide accommodation. It's probably best to call or email the embassy to see if they have more up-to-date info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

It's mandatory (I think). I'm curious too so please let me know what they say if you do call them! Travelling from up north to London isn't cheap!

Accommodation is provided. You will likely be staying at a university campus (I forgot the name) near Mile End station in London. If you have to travel far and will be staying in a hotel the night BEFORE pre departure begins, you will have to sort that out on your own. Last year, I came the night before and stayed in the university campus (but had to pay for the first night). Hope this helps.

From what I remember last year, the first day ran from around 9am - 5pm then we were free to do as we please.
    The second day was just Japanese classes, this finished around 4:30, you could go home but the majority of JETs went to the Embassy reception. I went to the Embassy reception but managed to get the very last train home (I lived around 2 hours from London).
    Last edited by yingyangryder; May 21st, 2014 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Oh god pre-departure orientation. I'd forgotten about that, what a joke.
    It was shite except from the shindig at the Japanese embassy. Looking back the lectures were among the most laughable I've encountered on JET, which is saying something.

The introduction to Japanese was ok.

I can't remember any of it tbh. The introduction to Japanese... I guess they were just making sure everyone could say "my name is Mr. Smith I come from America" and count to ten before coming over here but I'd hope that people would be at least smart enough to go and learn that on their own.

Don't they send the beginner Japanese book to you before you come anymore? I remember getting a book with a CD about a month before departure that had hiragana/katakana and some basic survival Japanese.

They do, but the UK does (or did) some language lessons at pre-departure as well. It almost as if they think people should learn some Japanese before moving to Japan...
    ...because Japan.

It's mandatory, but you can get out of it if you have a good excuse. I did, so I didn't attend mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    It's mandatory, but you can get out of it if you have a good excuse. I did, so I didn't attend mine.
    Oh, thank god.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Email your coordinator ASAP; let 'em know what's going on. They'll encourage you to attend anyway, but they (if they're anything like mine) should be understanding and will make sure you know all you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

good advice word. I'm not trying to cop out of the predeparture OT, but I live in Korea and applied to Guam, so just to attend a 1-2 days OT that costs $500-800 just to fly to...is hopefully enough to get me out of having to do this. Hopefully most of the major details can be sent through email.
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

i went to mine, it wasnt that bad. some boring meetings, quick japanese lesson then got drunk the first night. second day some more japanese lessons, a decent reception at the embassy then into the pub to get drunk.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Mine was basically a breakdown of your first 3 days, giving us luggage tags, a JET sticker, and airport meeting information which took maybe 2 hours tops. Then we bused to the Consulate diplomat's house and had lunch, a toast, a few speeches and mingled for a couple hours. Finished by 3 and I was off to do as I pleased.

technically the 2004 london pre departure orientation was the first ITIL-orama. the fancy new forum was the talk of the town.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Edit: I forgot I wasn't in the lounge.
    Last edited by jacklostinred; May 21st, 2014 at 12:52. Reason: idiot.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If you're not in country near your application point you generally don't need to come. Hell, in Canada I remember one of our applicants was about a 12 hour drive (no train, no plane) to the embassy, and the first time I met her was at the mandatory day before orientation. We had a whole bunch of orientations before that and even the "mandatory" one before that wasn't mandatory given her distant and expenses.

I doubt AVN had to leave the country for orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    If you're not in country near your application point you generally don't need to come.
    Thanks for the heads up Gizmo! What a relief.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Gizmo! What a relief.
    But like other's have said, obviously contact your consulate/embassy and inform them of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.