Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Language study program - how difficult is it?

Default Re: Language study program - how difficult is it?

You can refuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

From what I remember, you get a booklet about the language course at Tokyo Orientation. There's a level check exam and an application form. On the form, you can choose to take the course or not. If not, you have to state the reason.

Your supervisor will ask you to fill out the form. So if you already have a book to study with and say that you've already started and don't have time for the CLAIR course, I don't think they'll force you to take it.

Found the application form from 2 years ago here http://www.jetprogramme.org/document..._reappoint.pdf

On the bottom of the first page, you can choose "Do Not Wish to Enrol".
    Last edited by soh; May 31st, 2014 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post
    Here's an example of Day 1, Week 1 of Book 4 in the beginner series. Maybe it'll give you an idea of what to expect
    http://i.imgur.com/GBscbCV.jpg
    Wow the romaji makes it so confusing. I was hoping to do the intermediate level but couldn't stand to read Japanese like that, could anyone confirm if the intermediate course is in romaji too?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The intermediate course was not in romaji. Only beginner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I don't know if this as already been suggested:

Beginner Japanese Textbook: GENKI I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese [With CDROM]: Eri Banno, Yoko Ikeda, Yutaka Ohno: 9784789014403: Books - Amazon.ca
    Beginner Japanese Workbook: Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook I: Eri Banno: 9784789014410: Books - Amazon.ca

Intermediate Japanese Textbook: Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese II [With CDROM]: Eri Banno, Yoko Ikeda, Yutaka Ohno: 9784789014434: Books - Amazon.ca
    Intermediate Japanese Workbook: Genki: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese Workbook II [Second Edition]: Eri Banno: 9784789014441: Books - Amazon.ca

I used these textbooks for 2 years in University, they are great. They don't treat you as though your a moron. They dive you right into Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji as quickly as possible. Granted I was in a classroom environment, with volunteer Japanese students from our International Department as free assistance. But, hey you're in Japan it's basically pick a Japanese person and see if you can do language exchange. But I always use the books even now to keep the Japanese as fresh as possible.

Genki I is very useful for some of the most basic grammatical constructions which are used in combination with more advanced topics. Notably te form. Webstaa is right it is MUCH cheaper in japan, and you can order it when you get here and have it in two days.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    The advanced course has a good amount of grammar patterns that I hadn't learned elsewhere, but 98% of the vocab was useless. Aside from the odd word about New Year/Bonenkai etc I didn't really learn anything. I did use the kanji book to study, although it isn't required at all - it was good review.
    I second this completely. Some of the grammar has shown up in my study for JLPT, but overall it was pretty useless stuff. However, the kanji was very good for reviewing.

I posted in the wrong thread earlier. But for 2014-2015 year, there is no Advanced Course for the CLAIR Japanese language program. Only Beginner and Intermediate - and they're supposedly using the same textbooks again as well.

lol was no one doing the Advanced course anymore?

Well, I took it this past go round, and it took most of two weeks to get my test scores/essay checked, so I assume there were a few...

Maybe the pass-rate was horrible and they just decided to can it...

Do they still do the essay writing portion on the tests? That might be why it took so long to check.

They did the essay part for 2012-13. I'd imagine they still did for 2013-14 as well.
    いいみで

When and from where did you get the e-mail about the new courses? I haven't had any communication about them (not that I have any interest in taking them at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    When and from where did you get the e-mail about the new courses? I haven't had any communication about them (not that I have any interest in taking them at all)
    I didn't get an email, they sent the paperwork to my BoE who just handed it over and asked me to take the placement test. (Which I passed quite easily - the hardest part is keigo I haven't used since college.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    In my case, my supervisor forwarded me some e-mails from CLAIRE that had clearly been forwarded a million times through some kind of e-mail tree.
    I took the advanced course this past year, so I wanted to see if my BOE would pay for the interpreting/translation course. They said no. Then my supervisor asked if I wanted to take the beginner class instead. (insert eye roll here)

Japanese for Everyone. Is nice cheap and gives you the answer so you can check the stuff pretty easily. Covers everything from genki and 1 2 in one book.
    Last edited by jwkelley; June 26th, 2014 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Is nice cheap
    news-graphics-2007-_445714a.jpg

It's about THE most inefficient way to study.

Do anything other than the CLAIR course if you are serious about studying. I won't get too into it because I would mainly be echoing things already said in here. But yeah,

no.

More info about the CLAIR course: They are abandoning everything "paper" and going strictly e-learning. They are focusing on Japanese you'll hear and might actually use in the workplace too. So there is a newbies course (Beginner) and an 'Maybe-I-know-hiragana/katakana' course (Intermediate.) Intermediate will have a bunch of keigo apparently.

I'm just going to find a copy of Tobira and a kanji book and work my way back through them.