43. Kochi (106.75)
    42. Yamagata (124.55)
    41. Aomori (141.03)
    40. Fukushima (144.37)
    39. Miyazaki (146.20)
    38. Nagano (157.95)
    13. Shizuoka (481.88)
    1. Tokyo - Shinjuku (6,029.22)

This measure gives you a decent idea of which prefectures have the most uninhabited/thinly populated land, but I would note that EVERY prefecture (including Tokyo) has "inaka" and "urban" areas. Without knowing the specifics of your placement it is hard to say one way or another.

Ahh, okay, see akita and iwate shouldn't be in that list because they have big mountains making huge parts of their ground area unliveable. Seriously, look at Akita, it has massive mountains cutting up the prefecture, and Iwate is half of the Aso mountain range.

I tend to look at rural as 10k people or less in your town. Genuine buttfuck inaka is the 600 person town out by the sea. I am in no way rural however, living in a town with 100k people (60-75 actually in town proper, rest in various subtown/subrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Re: Rural placements

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Ahh, okay, see akita and iwate shouldn't be in that list because they have big mountains making huge parts of their ground area unliveable. Seriously, look at Akita, it has massive mountains cutting up the prefecture, and Iwate is half of the Aso mountain range.

I tend to look at rural as 10k people or less in your town. Genuine buttfuck inaka is the 600 person town out by the sea. I am in no way rural however, living in a town with 100k people (60-75 actually in town proper, rest in various subtown/subrubs.
    Yeah, but that applies to all of the other prefectures with low population densities as well... there aren't many truly "isolated" places on the main islands that aren't in the middle of or surrounded by mountains. Pretty much all of the large, flat, open areas are built up heavily or are filled with rice fields and still relatively close to a larger city.
    Last edited by kuzco; May 26th, 2014 at 12:38.

Rice fields in Akita take up more space than mountains. Less livable space means higher chances of rural life. But yeah, it skews population density interpretations.
    Last edited by Namisuke; May 26th, 2014 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Namisuke View Post
    Rice fields in Akita take up more space than mountains. Less livable space means higher chances of rural life.
    It might seem like that from the ground, but check out a satellite view:https://maps.google.com/maps?q=akita...ita,+Japan&z=9

But yeah, pretty much everything that isn't wilderness appears to be rice fields!
    Last edited by kuzco; May 26th, 2014 at 12:35.

Depends on your definition of mountain. I like to think of a lot of that space as tall forests...lol They're not really that high. That's mostly our forestry industry there.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I should add that Yamagata is also much denser than that metric. We have Part of Chokai, all of Gassan (of of the tallest mountains in Japan), and Ito taking up all that space.

Topical views really give you an idea of where most people live. Akita really is a lot more dense than people think, but that's the problem with tohoku is plenty of people live close to each other, but getting around the massive (and inconvenient) mountain ranges is just frustrating.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Depends on your definition of mountain. I like to think of a lot of that space as tall forests...lol They're not really that high. That's mostly our forestry industry there.
    Nah, but there's enough mountain in there. Having driven from Daisen to Kitaakita myself, it's not just forests....

Quote Originally Posted by kuzco View Post
    10 prefectures with the lowest population density (# of people/square km):

47. Hokkaido (65.73)
    46. Iwate (86.01)
    45. Akita (92.37)
    44. Shimane (106.19)
    43. Kochi (106.75)
    42. Yamagata (124.55)
    41. Aomori (141.03)
    40. Fukushima (144.37)
    39. Miyazaki (146.20)
    38. Nagano (157.95)
    13. Shizuoka (481.88)
    1. Tokyo - Shinjuku (6,029.22)

This measure gives you a decent idea of which prefectures have the most uninhabited/thinly populated land, but I would note that EVERY prefecture (including Tokyo) has "inaka" and "urban" areas. Without knowing the specifics of your placement it is hard to say one way or another.
    Cheers Kuzco!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    I'm in a town of 5000 and I remember the horror I felt when I rode through it that first day, you're definitely not alone in your misgivings. My biggest tip is to get involved in something in your area (you may have to go to another town but if you can find it in your own that's even better), I joined my town's dance team and it was a great way to fill a couple nights and also see the area when we would travel to festivals. It might seem like there's nothing around and even people at your school or BOE might not know (they're probably not from your town anyway), just keep asking! Lots of ALTs in my area do something: basketball team, archery, orchestras, taiko groups, etc.

I also recommend using some of your free time to hone a skill that you've always wanted to learn, I know plenty of ALTs that have picked up things like crafts, cooking, weight lifting, and so on. JET can be a good chance to work on "you" in your spare time (of which you may have more than a city JET).

I love being a rural jet, it has it drawbacks in the fact that everyone knows the ALT's business and I can't buy most things I want without going to the city BUT the communities are so kind that it more than makes up for it, imo. It's not easy at first and it does get lonely but that's more of a hindsight reflection, I don't really remember feeling sad or isolated, there was too much to take in to worry about it then!
    Sorry to go off topic, but orchestras? Yay! Does anyone know how common they are/how easy they are to join? Is it possible to obtain a cheap string instrument in Japan? I wouldn't really want to bring mine over.

Orchestras really depend on the area. New instruments here of all kinds are pretty expensive. It's not too hard finding used ones in decent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but orchestras? Yay! Does anyone know how common they are/how easy they are to join? Is it possible to obtain a cheap string instrument in Japan? I wouldn't really want to bring mine over.
    Hmm RomulusLupin was in an orchestra iirc. Maybe we can get her to make a special emeritus post about how she found it/got involved?

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Hmm RomulusLupin was in an orchestra iirc. Maybe we can get her to make a special emeritus post about how she found it/got involved?
    Good Japanese and excellent fingering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Nah, but there's enough mountain in there. Having driven from Daisen to Kitaakita myself, it's not just forests....
    Well, now you must tell me what you did in Kitaakita! ^_^

Well, now you must tell me what you did in Kitaakita! ^_^
    Drove past it as quickly as possible to get to Hirosaki after making the terrible decision to drive through that mountain road while it was a little wet. Every freaking obaasan from omagari to kita akita was on the roads doing about 20 the entire way.... I will never drive the 105 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nell View Post
    I've just been placed in Fukaura-machi (population 9,000) in Aomori-ken, and after my initial excitement, the realisation of just how rural this place is has started to sink in... I really want to keep an open mind about this but the nearest city is about 2 hours away and the town itself seems pretty dead. I was just wondering what other JETs' experiences of living in rural areas are like? I know not everyone gets amazing placements but I'm worried about being so isolated for such a long time, and the climate might just make it that bit more depressing!
    OOoooh herro. Ummm... Your nearest city is NOT in Akita... In fact, I'm in Hirosaki, Aomori along with a bunch of others! You aren't far from everyone else either. The person whose spot you're taking over is ALWAYS hanging out here in the city along with a bunch of other people not far from them. While Hirosaki isn't gigantic, we are about 180,000 people with a few universities in town. The music and art culture here is rad. And the Aomori-ken JETs aren't bad either We have a FB group... you should get on her! Trust me though, you got people around you, that beach is amazing, and one of the raddest onsens is right in your town too

Keep an open mind and a good attitude, otherwise you'll just remain pessimistic and poopy all year. Don't be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Vietnamazing View Post
    raddest
    Is it still 1990?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Is it still 1990?
    I'm from Portland

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

I'm from Portland
    so San Fran from 1994?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Drove past it as quickly as possible to get to Hirosaki after making the terrible decision to drive through that mountain road while it was a little wet. Every freaking obaasan from omagari to kita akita was on the roads doing about 20 the entire way.... I will never drive the 105 again.
    Yup! That sounds like Akita!

OOoooh herro. Ummm... Your nearest city is NOT in Akita... In fact, I'm in Hirosaki, Aomori along with a bunch of others! You aren't far from everyone else either. The person whose spot you're taking over is ALWAYS hanging out here in the city along with a bunch of other people not far from them. While Hirosaki isn't gigantic, we are about 180,000 people with a few universities in town. The music and art culture here is rad. And the Aomori-ken JETs aren't bad either We have a FB group... you should get on her! Trust me though, you got people around you, that beach is amazing, and one of the raddest onsens is right in your town too

Keep an open mind and a good attitude, otherwise you'll just remain pessimistic and poopy all year. Don't be worried.
    Oooh okay I think I love it already, yep I was planning on going to the city pretty regularly as Hirosaki looks gorgeous, especially if the music/art is good!
    I'm a music grad (piano major) and rather than buy a keyboard I was thinking whether it would be possible to find someone in my town who has a piano and ask them if I can play it in exchange for English lessons or something?