Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rural placements

Default Re: Rural placements

Don't be afraid to make friends with the local old people. They give you fresh veggies and take you fishing and shit.

Past a certain point I really can't understand their Japanese though.

I'm sure I give them the same look Japanese people adopt when the Irish ALT speaks English.

Just ask them to explain their dialect to you. I've yet to meet a Japanese person who doesn't love a good regional accents discussion.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

ya pretty much, they love talking about bla bla bla bla we say shit differently. cause it is all dying out
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Just ask them to explain their dialect to you. I've yet to meet a Japanese person who doesn't love a good regional accents discussion.
    Get them drunk, then do it. It's hilarious when they turn bright red and start slurring their speech like little kids...

Sounds like a variety show..."Old drunk Japanese people say the darndest things..."
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Get them drunk, then do it. It's hilarious when they turn bright red and start slurring their speech like little kids...
    They need to be drunk to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by cantdecideforshit View Post
    Yep to that article..as much as I want to say no since that gives away a lot haha.

I was going to get an international driving permit but I can only go for a year, so after calculating all my expenses I discovered I can't afford a car if I planned to travel around Japan, unless I don't plan on saving any money at all which I need to due to school loans. I still really want to go to Japan but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth all the trouble and if I should just stay home at my current job (which pays about the same as JET after you take account health insurance in Japan and everything) and just save to go back to visit.

I honestly feel like if I wasn't on an island by myself, things would be so much more different and I wouldn't be feeling this way, but with a 3000yen round trip bridge toll I doubt I'd have much of a social life (which is hard for an extrovert like myself). My pred. told me there isn't many people our age (20-30s) on the island and although I do have older friends, I fear between the age gap and cultural differences it would be quite difficult to get close to anyone on the island.
    Do you mean that you're planning on only a year in Japan? That certainly works against you financially...

In my case, I was in a rural placement, bought a car for around 15-20 man, drove it for a year, turned it in at the end for some money back, saw tons of Japan, paid off loans... And, while there weren't "many" people in their 20s-30s where I was placed, there were enough to make friends. Chances are, if there are schools there, there are teachers, some of them young, and they will likely ask you out to do things.

When I lived rurally, apart from teachers, my best friends were all 50+ years old. It certainly helps if you like to drink.

P.S. The Bridge toll is only 1640 round trip with an ETC Card, and the ferry's only 400 yen each way.

I pm'd this a second ago, but I am guessing the OP is watching this under a different username.

so I will just post it.

Read "For Fukui's Sake"
    It's a good read and might put somethings into perspective for you.

You never know the way things are going to turn out. But if you gave me the option of A.) staying in the same place with the same job for a year or B.) moving abroad to live in a different culture and see parts of the country you will NEVER be able to see as a tourist.

I would pick B everyday of the week.

Also keep in mind that you'll work tax free for a year and when you move back you'll get a $1,500-2,500 tax refund.

When I was on JET, I was able to save a lot more than when I moved back to the states. Despite making 50% more in the states.

Coming to Japan, either makes or breaks a person and you'll find out a lot about yourself in the process.

If I was you, I would come. Its only a year, live up all 365 days of it. Even if you save a few thousand dollars less or more, you'll be richer from the experience. For best or worst.

Best of luck with your decision, man.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Hahahawut?
    If you're not a complete suck, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by windar View Post
    If you're not a complete suck, that is.
    I've never seen a young Japanese teacher even drink at an enkai, so...

Default Rural placements

That is because the BOE has a watchdog on your internet traffic hahaha they are all scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I've never seen a young Japanese teacher even drink at an enkai, so...
    In Niigata and Yamagata -- I can't speak for the rest of Tohoku -- everyone was an alcoholic, except for the women, of course. In my village, a couple younger male teachers asked me out drinking and we went out (with women) to drink once or twice a month.

In my current position, near a larger city, and at a high school, all of the young teachers are suck-ups to the kyoto and kocho, and most are too overworked to take time out for a drink.

Sounds like your school sucks.