Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan - land of four seasons

Default Japan - land of four seasons

Quote Originally Posted by war_gem View Post
    Does being totally unused to sunlight count? The woes of the English. No, there is no medical reason. I should eventually be able to cope... but it'll be like keeping a Polar Bear in Ueno Zoo.

Default Re: Placement Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by teckset View Post
    Cool. Karatsu is quite close to Sasebo, Nagasaki. I'm told there's surfing in that area if that's something that interests you.
    Honestly, the heat isn't so bad in this part of Kyushu. Depending on how much you're outside, I think you will adapt pretty easily. Sweat towels, Airism brand undergarments from Uniqlo, and lots of water. The staff room should be air conditioned once it gets over 30 C, so that will help.
    I am glad for the location between cities. Fukuoka and Nagasaki within reasonable distance. Certainly a plus!
    Just to be slightly more pathetic, I should add, I have a fear of the sea/fish... and will probably never venture further than water up to my belly button. Surfing is out.
    I am fine with adapting. Just that Hokkaido, or similar, would have required slightly less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    He looks a lot happier than when I saw him.

I am glad for the location between cities. Fukuoka and Nagasaki within reasonable distance. Certainly a plus!
    Just to be slightly more pathetic, I should add, I have a fear of the sea/fish... and will probably never venture further than water up to my belly button. Surfing is out.
    I am fine with adapting. Just that Hokkaido, or similar, would have required slightly less.
    That's the exact type of can-do, self-assured attitude they're looking for on JET. You'll love it here.

Darn, Jiggy beat me to it!!!

To be honest, I'm in the north, as far as you can go without striking Hokkaido, and I've experienced the worst sunburns here (even in winter) than I ever have in America. I think you'll have issues wherever you end up in Japan.

I don't know what it is about Japan, but I don't recall it ever being a hardship in America to not wear sunglasses. It's just always so darn bright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    That's the exact type of can-do, self-assured attitude they're looking for on JET. You'll love it here.

Don't get me wrong. I've wanted to visit Kyushu for a really long time. I'm just not totally sure I could spend a considerable amount of time there. Though Saga AJETs and 'upperclassmen' have been exceptionally enthusiastic. And hey, it seems Hokkaido has bad BoAs? (am I saved?)
    Darn, Jiggy beat me to it!!!

To be honest, I'm in the north, as far as you can go without striking Hokkaido, and I've experienced the worst sunburns here (even in winter) than I ever have in America. I think you'll have issues wherever you end up in Japan.

I don't know what it is about Japan, but I don't recall it ever being a hardship in America to not wear sunglasses. It's just always so darn bright.
    I have to squint in the UKs overcast skies. Life is a beach.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

War gem there is a solution to this though.
    1 sunscreen
    2 transition sun glasses
    3 going outside and getting it over with

Seriously, as someone who used to be light sensitive like that, after a year of using transition lenses in my glasses I became adjusted to strong sun light.

Also, I generally suspect you just need to get out of your house/apartment for the next few months. Time to end the university hibernation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

There isn't really that much variation in Japan outside of Tohoku/Hokkaido and Okinawa. People love to go on and on about how hot it is, but really, it's going to be extremely hot in the summer all over Honshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Time to end the university hibernation.
    How did you know, though. ;-:

No. I've always been light sensitive. You think I avoid the scant sunlight we get in the UK? It's glorious. It's also totally different from the heat in Kyushu. Its not totally unreasonable to want to ask just how far out asking for an exchange might be.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    There isn't really that much variation in Japan outside of Tohoku/Hokkaido and Okinawa. People love to go on and on about how hot it is, but really, it's going to be extremely hot in the summer all over Honshu.
    There are times in the summer where it's hotter in Honshu than it is in Okinawa :P

The biggest difference is that Okinawa (not sure about Kyushu) doesn't really experience a winter. It hits 15C-ish, and to the locals, that's "omg-stay-inside-it's-freezing-WHY-ARE-YOU-WEARING-A-SHORT-SLEEVE!?" cold.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post
    There are times in the summer where it's hotter in Honshu than it is in Okinawa :P

The biggest difference is that Okinawa (not sure about Kyushu) doesn't really experience a winter. It hits 15C-ish, and to the locals, that's "omg-stay-inside-it's-freezing-WHY-ARE-YOU-WEARING-A-SHORT-SLEEVE!?" cold.
    Lol I have experienced this first hand. I gave my coat to a girl who was freezing on the walk back from the bar, which meant I was only wearing a t shirt and the group just looked at me like I was r etarded. It was 15c out and I was happy as all get out. The okinanwans were wearing parkas....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Lol I have experienced this first hand. I gave my coat to a girl who was freezing on the walk back from the bar, which meant I was only wearing a t shirt and the group just looked at me like I was r etarded. It was 15c out and I was happy as all get out. The okinanwans were wearing parkas....
    Yeah, when I returned from vacation in Canada, me and my buddy spent the night in Naha before heading back to our city. We were both adjusted to the Canadian weather (-20C at the time) and we were walking around Naha at night with t-shirts and shorts. Is was like someone called in the neck-bender brigade, because everyone was staring and whispering to their friends about us.

I gave my coat to a girl who was freezing on the walk back from the bar
    You smooth chivalrous b*stard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

How did you know, though. ;-:

No. I've always been light sensitive. You think I avoid the scant sunlight we get in the UK? It's glorious. It's also totally different from the heat in Kyushu. Its not totally unreasonable to want to ask just how far out asking for an exchange might be.
    It's not an unreasonable thought. But in practice, you will not get a change of placement. Your situation doesn't warrant it in the eyes of the program, or any BOE so you might as well get it out of your mind. JET literally is a, take it or leave it situation, as there are plenty of people waiting in line to take your position if you refuse or want a transfer.

With that said, it really doesn't matter where you live in the country, the summer will be sunny and hot. Kyushu summers are no different than Tohoku summers. The hottest place in japan is near Tokyo, not near Nagasaki. Even Hokkaido will be sunny and bright during the summer, hell sunrise there is probably 4am...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Even Hokkaido will be sunny and bright during the summer, hell sunrise there is probably 4am...
    Sometimes as early as 3:30A, yep. Messes with your inner clock sometimes.
    いいみで

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    I thought Honshu's 430 was bad enough. ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

It makes for wonderful drives, if I go to the fish market around 5.
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by Kdes23 View Post

@wargem: Kyushu has a winter. It will be cold. You will shiver. You may even wish for sun. It will be hot too. An option is to tough it through a year on JET and trying to find a job in Nagano (one of the mildest places I've lived in Japan).

Also, if you go up into the mountains it's bound to be cooler.

Drink lots of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    This. Especially without DST. Right now the sun comes up at about 4am. It drives me insane. I finally put cardboard over my windows this year but I still wake up at 4ish and go back to sleep and don't feel rested from about April~September.
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

??? Buy some decent curtains
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.