Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japan - land of four seasons

Default Re: Placement Discussion

I have a super awkward apartment set up. I'll post pictures of it in VIP sometime before I leave, but it's difficult to explain why curtains wouldn't really work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

make sure you dont have any of your bloomers on display, poor becky will burst out in a nosebleed.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

make sure you dont have any of your bloomers on display, poor becky will burst out in a nosebleed.
    She's probably using them as curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    She's probably using them as curtains.
    They'd be very lacy, not very substantial curtains then.

Also...maybe TRWC should make this convo move to the lounge? Something like...Surviving the Japanese Seasons.

Default Re: Aspiring Australian JETs 2014

Iga in Mie. Glad to finally get the brick package.

How big are your windows!?
    I live in a box. It's a room with a kitchen attached and a tatami room sectioned off (bathroom and toilet are attached and have closing doors). Two of the walls are pretty much oversized windows. I do have a set of curtains for them, but they do nothing. I have a glass and wood sliding door (mostly glass) that separates the tatami room from the kitchen. What I did this winter was put cardboard over the glass slider and the windows of the glass on the tatami side. There are still days I snap awake at 4am thinking I overslept and it's noon, but it's been a lot better this year. My apartment also isn't in the shadow of any buildings, so I get the full amount of sun. It sucks because I like to sleep with the window open to get some air circulating.

I'm probably going to recommend my successor get a sleep mask or something.

Default Re: Japan - land of four seasons

This is too much effort, I should just go the becky route "hey bitch you are have fat bum so you have massive granny panties lol homo hipster"

The staff room will be air conditioned but the classrooms may or may not be. Probably not. You and the students have to stink it out together. Don't want try, the summer only lasts 5 months and then we get 2 weeks of autumn before winter kicks in for 5 months ^_^

I live on the south-western end of Honshu, and the weather here is quite bearable. We even have a few Irish people. It's not like Eire is the land of sun and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Default Japan - land of four seasons

I think maybe we Japanese know traditional way to complain about each season. It is complained by many people, for example in summer. But, maybe complaining about waking up to the sun is not good. Because we already woke up at 3:30 all seasons. It is taihen.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by war_gem View Post
    bad BoAs
    Jiggit, how did we both miss this?! I need a gif stat!
    Last edited by therealwindycity; May 28th, 2014 at 16:01.

I now have an image in my head of jiggit turning up the heating while suggesting to his students that they loosen their clothes if they are hot.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I have 28 classrooms in my jhs. 4 have aircon, 8 have fans and the rest have windows to let the bugs in.

As for kyushu, the hottest I've seen (last summer) was around 45 degrees with 90+ humidity. It's August though so you'll either been in the staff room or the boe and both of those should have aircon.

I now have an image in my head of jiggit turning up the heating while suggesting to his students that they loosen their clothes if they are hot.....
    He's seen a lot of scrote that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Looseleaf View Post
    It's August though so you'll either been in the staff room or the boe and both of those should have aircon.
    "should"

If enough teachers are out, or if it is 1/2 a degree cooler than the cutoff, they don't always run it here.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Default Re: Japan - land of four seasons

Curtains help a lot. You can get some that pretty much blackout the sun. They help keep your room warmer in the winter too. You can also find those plastic fans for free at festivals. I got 5 or 6 at Tokyo Orientation.

I'm trying out the "green curtain" thing in my balcony this year to see if it actually works. The plants aren't tall enough to do any good yet, but they're growing pretty fast. I haven't had to really do anything other than set it up and water it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Looseleaf View Post
    The staff room will be air conditioned but the classrooms may or may not be. Probably not. You and the students have to stink it out together. Don't want try, the summer only lasts 5 months and then we get 2 weeks of autumn before winter kicks in for 5 months ^_^
    My students are already starting to smell :/

I live in a box. It's a room with a kitchen attached and a tatami room sectioned off (bathroom and toilet are attached and have closing doors). Two of the walls are pretty much oversized windows. I do have a set of curtains for them, but they do nothing. I have a glass and wood sliding door (mostly glass) that separates the tatami room from the kitchen. What I did this winter was put cardboard over the glass slider and the windows of the glass on the tatami side. There are still days I snap awake at 4am thinking I overslept and it's noon, but it's been a lot better this year. My apartment also isn't in the shadow of any buildings, so I get the full amount of sun. It sucks because I like to sleep with the window open to get some air circulating.

I'm probably going to recommend my successor get a sleep mask or something.
    Just get some blackout/light blocking curtains. My Okinawa apartment also had tall glass doors in full sun, and those things made it seem like night time at midday.
    Get the "level 3" ones (unless they have even more levels now! OMG JAPAN) because the level 1 ones are crap.
    fucking genki