Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Japanese driving test

  1. #1
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Japanese driving test

    Ok, so i keep hearing how the Japanese driving test is really hard.
    However as a Brit, i have always been told that our test is the hardest in the world. I'm asking if any Brits have attempted it and was it any harder than the one here?
    I passed my UK one first time with 2 minors.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    The Japanese test isn't about driving. It is about ritual.

    Chapter 5 - The Practical Test
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  3. #3
    Crustacean Sensation Ebi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    894

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Ok, so i keep hearing how the Japanese driving test is really hard.
    However as a Brit, i have always been told that our test is the hardest in the world. I'm asking if any Brits have attempted it and was it any harder than the one here?
    I passed my UK one first time with 2 minors.
    Is your UK license still current? If so, congrats! You don't have to take the test at all. Just bring your UK license and an official translation from a JAF store and they'll issue you a Japanese license so long as you pass the vision test. In my center, the vision test required basic knowledge of Japanese colors and directions, but otherwise was very easy.

    But they grill you over your passport and the process of obtaining your license in Japanese first, so if you're not fluent you'll need to bring a Japanese-speaking friend.

    I'm from the US, so I had to take the practical test in addition to the vision and written test. It wasn't necessarily hard, so much as nerve wracking. I had to take a day of paid vacation every time I went so I didn't want to fail. If you memorize the course and over-exaggerate your checks, you'll be fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582
    ...because Japan.

  5. #5
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Yeah, you folks who're from [anywhere except the US] have it easy (assuming your license is current and you've had it for at least three months). I'm jealous. 4sen and you're good to go.

    If you don't have your license, have allowed your license to expire, or haven't had your drivers' license for at least three months, you're totally screwed. You'll have to go through Japanese drivers' education to get a license. That's gonna cost you at least 20man (2000USD), probably more.

    The IDP will keep you going for a year, assuming you have a license.

    If you're from the US and meet the qualifications, you can convert yours, the test isn't so bad. Trivial has written an excellent guide to passing it on the first try here (edit: Ant's link above). It worked for me. Getting my MT license, later on, took a couple of tries, due to me derping a specific part of the test.
    Last edited by word; May 30th, 2014 at 09:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  6. #6
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    I passed my test last fall on the first try. I hadn't driven since 2008 and my US license expired last May. Getting it renewed was a huge pain in the ass since it involved a trip to the consulate to get the form notarised. The driving test itself wasn't so bad other than the test center being hard to get to. I went to a driving school for a couple of hours for practice lessons. The teachers tell you exactly what to do to pass. That and Trivial's thread helped a bunch. You need to be really obvious about everything, even saying what you're doing (in English or Japanese) so the test dude knows.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Is your UK license still current? If so, congrats! You don't have to take the test at all. Just bring your UK license and an official translation from a JAF store and they'll issue you a Japanese license so long as you pass the vision test.
    You're kidding? Not to suggest you're wrong, but can you provide proof? I've looked and I can't seem to find anything that helps. I'm not sure where to look.

  8. #8
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by uzateq View Post
    You're kidding? Not to suggest you're wrong, but can you provide proof? I've looked and I can't seem to find anything that helps. I'm not sure where to look.
    Wat? The fact that non-US folks don't have to take the test (so long as they've held a drivers' license in their home country for at least three consecutive months) is very well-known.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by uzateq View Post
    You're kidding? Not to suggest you're wrong, but can you provide proof? I've looked and I can't seem to find anything that helps. I'm not sure where to look.
    Can't give you written proof but can tell you from experience that's exactly what happens.

    For me it also required a couple of visits to the test centre and a coma-inducing interview where they ticked off lots of boxes, but that might not be the same in every prefecture.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    I've been misinformed. I was told I needed to do to the test. Thank god for that. Pretending to look at my mirrors every 5 seconds while paying actual attention to the road isn't fun.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    What's the reason for Americans needing to do the test anyway?

    Also, do I surrender my UK licence in order to get a Japanese licence?

  12. #12
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by uzateq View Post
    What's the reason for Americans needing to do the test anyway?

    Also, do I surrender my UK licence in order to get a Japanese licence?
    Second question first, I'm 99.99% sure you don't.

    As for the the yanks, it's because their licenses are issued at a state level rather than national. The UK and Japan have an agreement to recognise each others' licenses as valid for transfer, but Japan can't be bothered to make 50 different agreements with the US, so they have to take the test.
    ...because Japan.

  13. #13
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,422

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by uzateq View Post
    What's the reason for Americans needing to do the test anyway?
    Not entirely sure, but the fact that there are at least fifty completely different kinds of drivers' licenses in the US doesn't help matters, I suspect.

    Quote Originally Posted by uzateq View Post
    Also, do I surrender my UK licence in order to get a Japanese licence?
    No; you'll keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by uzateq View Post
    I've been misinformed. I was told I needed to do to the test. Thank god for that. Pretending to look at my mirrors every 5 seconds while paying actual attention to the road isn't fun.
    The Japanese driving test is done in some special track they made for it (right?). Wouldn't want any pesky distractions like traffic and pedestrians to get in the way of testing if people are safe for the roads!

  15. #15
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Second question first, I'm 99.99% sure you don't.

    As for the the yanks, it's because their licenses are issued at a state level rather than national. The UK and Japan have an agreement to recognise each others' licenses as valid for transfer, but Japan can't be bothered to make 50 different agreements with the US, so they have to take the test.
    This is what I heard too.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Antonath, that's definitely the official reason.

    As I recall, Canadians also used to have to take the test, but an agreement was worked out and now they get licenses as easily as Australians and Britons.

    There is a rumor floating around that Japan was willing to work something out, but there is currently some inequality regarding how the U.S. handles Japanese citizens and International Driving Permits. The rumor goes that for the Japanese, IDPs are valid for much less time than is the case for Americans in Japan. I don't know how true this is, but if it is true, then it may be a contributing factor along with U.S. Licenses being issued on the state level.

    As an aside, South Africans also have to take the practical test. Presumably it's because Japan doesn't consider S.A.'s licensing requirements to be rigorous enough or some such thing.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    According to this website referred to by a lot of ALTs (don't know how up to date it is, though):

    The Blessed:
    United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada
    (also Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, South Korea)

    The Cursed:
    United States of America, South Africa, China, Brazil, Jamaica
    (also Africa, Asia, South America, Eastern Europe, Russia, Singapore and any other country not listed either here or above.)


    Wherever you're coming from if you renew your license less than 3 months before you've come (check that your license doesn't expire while you're in Japan!) be sure to bring a copy of both the new, current license and the previous one. They want to ensure that you've been driving long enough in your home country. They will check your passport to see how long you've been out of the country as well (to make sure you've had at least 3 months of driving time), if it's less than 3 months they won't convert your license. One ALT in my area actually had to have her old passport sent to her because it was new and they couldn't confirm that she hadn't been country hopping instead of living in her home country (she had been abroad before her stint on JET, too).
    Last edited by Page; May 30th, 2014 at 15:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    If you don't have your license, have allowed your license to expire, or haven't had your drivers' license for at least three months, you're totally screwed. You'll have to go through Japanese drivers' education to get a license. That's gonna cost you at least 20man (2000USD), probably more.
    I take it the 3 month stipulation is absolutely not flexible? I passed my UK test late may this year, so will have about 2 and a half months of driving under my belt before arriving. Although I'd been insured on my parents car for about 6 months, which is in some way proof of driving, I'm guessing that its post-test driving only right?

    I'll have the IDP for a year, just to give myself the option of access to a car. Will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

    Is it the test itself that is expensive or the lessons that accumulate? I guess what I'm saying is could you pass the Japanese test with just a few lessons, as a reasonably competent driver?

    Really wishing I hadn't waited so long until I learnt to drive now...

    Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Vitamins; May 30th, 2014 at 15:58.

  19. #19
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    I feel like I remember coop saying that depending on the prefecture, you actually aren't required to go to driving school? I'm sure it's still a pain, but you definitely won't be able to convert your license if the date on it is less than three months before coming to Japan.

  20. #20
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: Japanese driving test

    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamins View Post
    I take it the 3 month stipulation is absolutely not flexible? I passed my UK test late may this year, so will have about 2 and a half months of driving under my belt before arriving. Although I'd been insured on my parents car for about 6 months, which is in some way proof of driving, I'm guessing that its post-test driving only right?

    I'll have the IDP for a year, just to give myself the option of access to a car. Will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
    I'm pretty sure the 3-month stipulation also applies to driving under an IDP in Japan, but it's been a while since I got mine.

    And yes, the three months is your current, full license (and previous full license if applicable). Your learners' permit doesn't count.
    ...because Japan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •