Thread: JLPT N3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default JLPT N3

Hi all,

I passed the old level 3 about 10 years ago, and I'd like to write the N3 this year. I heard that the new 3 is a bit (lot?!) harder. I can't seem to find any information though on what about it is harder - or even different. I could probably compare my old texts ( Minna No Nihongo 1&2) with new ones, so I would love to get recommendations on good books to study for the N3. So, info on how it has changed and recommendations for study materials please! Thx!

Default Re: JLPT N3

FAQ |JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

That was hard.......fucking noobs
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Sure, but then can you please give me concrete ways in which I can put this into practice: (quoted from the site): N3 "Positioned a level bridging the old level 2 and level 3 tests."

Thanks for the link, but what I am looking for is not a party line given by a corporate site, but the recommendations of actual people. What was your experience with it and what study materials helped you.

Sincerely,
    Fucking Noob

Never taken N3, but either Soumatome or Kanzen Master will probably work.

Thanks Coop52! I think I have the old level 2 kanzen master, but I've never heard of Soumatome- off to check it out. I appreciate it!

FN

I got this book to study for the grammar. There are some practice questions (grammar, vocabulary and listening) at the end of each chapter as well. I've also heart good things about the Matome books.
    tryn3000.jpg
    There are also some videos on YouTube. I watch ones from nihongonomori joey nihongonomori joey - YouTube
    I mainly watch the vocabulary ones.
    Last edited by soh; May 31st, 2014 at 15:45.

Thank you!!! Very helpful!

My friend did it this way. Got sou matome, did Kanji, then Vocab, then grammar books then ran through listening and reading real fast. Right before the test she did Kanzen master grammar.

Random girl, the N3 would be like a 2.5, more vocab more kanji more grammar. It's a bit harder than the old 3
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Thanks guys! I guess it might not be worth it for me to buy new books, then - I could probably pass if I studied the old level 2 books that I spent a small fortune on I'd probably be wiser to drop the dough on N2 books

It's my understanding that the old 2 and the N2 aren't much different. Ie if you could pass the old 2, you should be able to pass the new one. If you could pass the old 3, chances are you can't pass the N3 without progressing

Lol, of course - I'm stuck in the middle! Murphy's law! There is NO way I could pass 2 (either new or old), so I guess I'll have to figure something out - maybe buy one well chosen book that outlines all the points I'll need then pick and choose from my other books. Thank you!

The vocab and kanji you get for free from most SRS programs (aka Anki)

Thanks for that tip- last time around those didn't exist for me, but boy does that look like a helpful program!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Thanks for that tip- last time around those didn't exist for me, but boy does that look like a helpful program!
    It's pretty good! I would also recommend remembering the kanji (RTK) - you can find a PDF of the first few chapters online to try it before you buy it
    And there is specific study site for it as well, google "reviewing the kanji" (kanji koohi).
    On that site people post story to help each other remember the kanji.

Even it it doesn't work for you, it will help you see that there are different ways to look at the kanji.

God, all the technology out there now is amazing! I actually have the old school RTK book, but I struggle to use it somehow. Wil it start making more sense/ more of an impact as I get further in, do you think? Or is it one of those that has to grab you right away?

Thanks again!
    Rg

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    God, all the technology out there now is amazing! I actually have the old school RTK book, but I struggle to use it somehow. Wil it start making more sense/ more of an impact as I get further in, do you think? Or is it one of those that has to grab you right away?

Thanks again!
    Rg
    No in fact it's her opposite. The further yin to study you are the more pointless it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Good to know, thanks - it is one big book that I canleave at home then!

Default JLPT N3

I would give it a go again but using the website, a lot of times the user made sentences work better for me. Gizmotech says that but he is just started re-using the book....

Also get the PDF version
    Last edited by ihatefall; June 13th, 2014 at 10:08.