Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric bicycles?

Default Electric bicycles?

Hello, fellow expats. Amurrican, here. As I prepare to move into a suburban area, I face the decision of where to spend my money with transportation. I am looking to cut costs.

The schools seem like they're spaced in a way that requires moderate bicycling effort, but would be most convenient with a car. My current pred owns a car while the two before her rode bikes. I recently looked into electrically assisted bicycles and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. The extra push from an electric bike seems like it could save some sweat (and laundry) when commuting.

Feel free to share general transport stories of all vehicular varieties, as I'm not the only incoming ALT needing to make a decision this fall.

(Yes, I know I am a filthy landwhale for even considering an electric bicycle)

Default Re: Electric bicycles?

Only people I've seen with electric assist are 60+ years old. Get a regular bike if you're going down that route.

Or take over your pred's car. Driving isn't that scary!

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Only people I've seen with electric assist are 60+ years old. Get a regular bike if you're going down that route.

Or take over your pred's car. Driving isn't that scary!
    I seeee. Fear of driving I can change, but the money that would require I cannot. I have a lot of debt, so I'm trying to save money.

Are you anywhere where it will snow? Ice biking is miserable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Life without a car is no life at all.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Life without a car is no life at all.
    I thought about it, and it's beginning to look that way. I may just try and supplement the gas usage with bike rides. Still, has anyone used these granny bikes? They're fascinating!

My friend, a 28-something, let me use her electric bike last year in the fall. She doesn't live in an area with a lot of snow, but even I, Lianwen, found it super easy to use but a little scary because you do zoooooom along.

It also seemed like a bitch to charge. She had to unhook the power pack when she parked in in her apartment garage and carry inside every night and then out again in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Are you anywhere where it will snow? Ice biking is miserable.
    It does make a cycle to work more interesting though.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; May 31st, 2014 at 16:32.

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    I thought about it, and it's beginning to look that way. I may just try and supplement the gas usage with bike rides. Still, has anyone used these granny bikes? They're fascinating!
    They're really easy to ride. We did a group bike ride once when all but one of us were on rented tourist center-supplied electric bikes, and the poor girl on the regular bike got left in the dust a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    They're really easy to ride. We did a group bike ride once when all but one of us were on rented tourist center-supplied electric bikes, and the poor girl on the regular bike got left in the dust a few times.
    Bwahaha, that's so wrong.

They're trying to market them to all people recently (especially to people that commute over hills) though so you probably won't get laughed at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Default Electric bicycles?

Electric bikes are so great. I got to borrow one once after I'd crashed my own bicycle into a pole (I'm graceful) and it was like riding a pedaled moving sidewalk.

They are fun, my GF's friend has one. It's weird because you start off with a regular pedal but within 10 seconds the motor kicks in.
    If you're trying to save money seems like it would be a waste of money to charge that huge battery all the time!
    Why not take the 6-8man that kind of bike will cost and buy a real bike. You can get an entry level road bike/ urban for that price. You'll get in shape too.

Use a work out shirt and shorts and change into your work clothes at school. I used to do that.
    Electric bikes might be fast compared to a mama chari but they are still slow compared to anything with 700c wheels.
    I think Jiggit is the other bike dude on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

or get a scooter. Also, getting a car won't be as expensive as you think it will be. Especially if you do the ALT thing and get a Piece of Shit Kei car
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Word. My kei was around 15 man, and it's in pretty decent condition and has actual safety features. You can find cars for even cheaper if you just want something that has four wheels and goes.

But you have to pay for insurance + gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

but you dont look like a complete tool.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

but you dont look like a complete tool.
    Electric bicycles look super-snazzy.

It's not as expensive as you might think. I pay less than 2 man a month for car related stuff. Kei's are really cheap to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Electric bicycles look super-snazzy.
    If you ride an electric bike you might as well hang a notice round your neck announcing to the world that you have no intention of ever having sex again.