Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric bicycles?

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Default Re: Electric bicycles?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    But you have to pay for insurance + gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it isn't that expensive. Plus, you can go on trips outside of your town, get groceries, など
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

If you're trying to save money seems like it would be a waste of money to charge that huge battery all the time!
    I get that you're trying to sell the OP on a real bike, but LOL. Charging a bike battery every day for 5 years would probably use less than 1000en worth of electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    or get a scooter. Also, getting a car won't be as expensive as you think it will be. Especially if you do the ALT thing and get a Piece of Shit Kei car
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

If you ride an electric bike you might as well hang a notice round your neck announcing to the world that you have no intention of ever having sex again.
    Would that be in the form of a kei car numberplate?

Or you could just wear one of those brightly-colored T-shirts they distribute to teachers for sports day and things - they work equally well

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Would that be in the form of a kei car numberplate?
    Dude, some kei cars are fast and RWD......

Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I get that you're trying to sell the OP on a real bike, but LOL. Charging a bike battery every day for 5 years would probably use less than 1000en worth of electricity.

word
    I don't know, that is a huge battery. But regardless, if it was a second bike as an anti car grocery getter than sure get the electric bike but as a main bike......
    Just get a real bike or a car. Do us proud

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Why wouldn't you just get a scooter? They are a pretty simple license, insurranceless (as far as I understand), and go much faster than an electric bike (I imagine they're cheaper too)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Electric bicycles?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Why wouldn't you just get a scooter? They are a pretty simple license, insurranceless (as far as I understand), and go much faster than an electric bike (I imagine they're cheaper too)
    I believe only the under 50cc ones are insurance less and they have a speed restriction....which is slower than the speeds I hit on a road bike. But I agree: scooter > electric bike
    Last edited by ihatefall; June 2nd, 2014 at 15:19. Reason: h

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I believe only the under 50cc ones are insurance less and they have a speed restriction....which is slower than the speeds I hit on a road bike. But I agree: scooter > electric bike
    Slower than what you will hit on a road bike, sure.... faster than any electric bike I've ever seen seeing as I can usually WALK faster than most electric bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

They are fun, my GF's friend has one. It's weird because you start off with a regular pedal but within 10 seconds the motor kicks in.
    If you're trying to save money seems like it would be a waste of money to charge that huge battery all the time!
    Why not take the 6-8man that kind of bike will cost and buy a real bike. You can get an entry level road bike/ urban for that price. You'll get in shape too.

Use a work out shirt and shorts and change into your work clothes at school. I used to do that.
    Electric bikes might be fast compared to a mama chari but they are still slow compared to anything with 700c wheels.
    I think Jiggit is the other bike dude on the forum.

I cycle a lot but I know very little about bikes. But yeah there's a world of difference between the half ton mamachari with no gears and a decent road bike. I don't really get the point of an electric bike unless you're wanting to take a bunch of trips all over the place. Maybe if you get placed with a bunch of schools that are hours apart with no public transport?

They are awesome when you're going uphill with a full basket of grocerys and a box of 1L water bottles tied to the back. But I don't think they capable of the range your talking about. When the battery dies they are at least 50% heavier than a normal mama chari

They are awesome when you're going uphill with a full basket of grocerys and a box of 1L water bottles tied to the back. But I don't think they capable of the range your talking about. When the battery dies they are at least 50% heavier than a normal mama chari
    Hunh, didn't consider that part. It's looking like biking will become a recreational and optional part of my stay, my main battle from here will be deciding whether to rent or buy.

Yep, the thing to remember is that unless you become a hermit, it's not just the commute but everything else you need transport for. My commute to work is an easy bike ride, but if I want to buy groceries/ visit a friend/ go to the swimming pool/ do more or less anything else, I have to drive. You might be within a short distance of your schools but miles from the nearest supermarket. Also if you need to go further afield public transport can quickly become much more expensive than having a car.

As for buying/ running a car, it's not especially expensive in Japan. I think the general consensus on the buy/ rent question is that if you're here for a year or less, you're as well to rent, but longer than that and it becomes cheaper to just buy your own. If you do buy, just get a decent kei car with plenty of shaken on it. Dealers sell second-hand cars with 2 years shaken, but ALTs usually sell their cars for cheaper. If there are any toll gates nearby that you have to drive through often, get an ETC card (it nets you a big discount on all your tolls). You will need to buy an ETC card reader for your car, but I've found that the money I've saved on toll discounts has already paid that one off.

I paid 10, 0000 for my car (came with 2 years shaken). I pay about 5500 yen a month for insurance and 4000 yen for petrol. Add in the annual 6000 yen (approx) car tax, and I don't think it's a bad price. Granted, shaken is more expensive, but since it's a biannual expense you can just put a little bit of money aside each month and save up for it over time. My shaken (which was two weeks ago) cost me 70, 000. Shaken usually seems to cost most people between 50,000 and 150,000 depending upon the condition of the car, whether it's a white-plate or a yellow-plate, etc.
    ES and JHS ALT

real men dont drive kei cars.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I definitely enjoy the idea of saving money, unfortunately I won't be arriving with enough funds to make a purchase. Maybe later on after saving?

Rent a car on contract hire for the first year. Unless you are placed near the centre of Tokyo or Osaka, not having a car in Japan will only reduce your quality of life.

Depends on what you're looking to do 5 Spicy Kei Cars You'll Want In Your Garage

Depends on what you're looking to do 5 Spicy Kei Cars You'll Want In Your Garage
    warning, you may need a good book to read while you wait for this video to end.

I repeat
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

well, if I ever mysteriously become male overnight, I will be sure to scrap my kei car in order to protect my delicate masculinity then
    ES and JHS ALT