Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just the one year

Default Just the one year

So I'm off to be a JET this year, but I can only do one contract's worth of it. I have a grad scheme job lined up for next autumn(/fall) and I was very clear about that in my application and interview at the Embassy, yet they still took me.

This might not be the best place to ask this question given certain perennial presences on the forum, but in your experience how many people just do the one year? Is it unusual? Will my school give less of a damn about me than they seem to about everyone else?

Also, how many years do YOU intend to do on JET?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: Just the one year

I know a few people that are only doing the one year from my intake - most of them just because either Japan or the job didn't match up tip their preconceptions. None of them have said anything about their schools treating them differently, though that might just be because we don't talk about work so much. I'd assume that if you were upfront about only starting a single year you would be treated a little differently... But it will depend on your placement, like so much else.

As for me? Several years to full term, I expect, although that might change. I like my area, my base school and the other ALT-type people around me, and I was effectively doing the same job for less pay before I left England. Highly doubt I would try to stay in Japan after Jet, though - I'm not interested in finding a waifu, I'm not a japanophile and I miss irn bru.

I know a few people who will only do a year because they already have post-JET careers/school lined up. They seem to be some of the happiest JETs I know - culture shock doesn't hit them quite as hard when they know they'll be headed out soon, I guess. I think they also barely have enough time to see and do everything they want to experience in Japan during a year, so they don't have time to get to the bitterest part of stage II. I don't think that your school will treat you badly, but I suspect you'll still feel like a bit of a guest by the time you leave. That's not necessarily a bad thing though - Japan is generally a good place to be a guest.

I think a lot only go for one year. My first time around, about 30-40 percent in my area stayed only one year. I don't know if that's the norm though! This time around I'm inly staying one year - that is just how much leave I could take from my job. They knew that when I applied too, so I guess it must be ok?!

I think I've only met a small handful of people who have only stayed for the one year - my advice would be that even if this is the case, don't be too concerned about making it overly known from the start, Introducing yourself in front of your school/to other JETs as "Hey, I'm so&so, I'm only going to be here for one year though" might indeed mean people just won't be that bothered about getting to know you so well - I know that recently I've been looking for more and more friends outside of the JET circle who hold a little greater potential in longevity, If I'm going to be staying here longer term as I would like I can't really be bothered making a group of new mates ever two or three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Reassuring Skeleton View Post
    So I'm off to be a JET this year, but I can only do one contract's worth of it. I have a grad scheme job lined up for next autumn(/fall) and I was very clear about that in my application and interview at the Embassy, yet they still took me.

This might not be the best place to ask this question given certain perennial presences on the forum, but in your experience how many people just do the one year? Is it unusual? Will my school give less of a damn about me than they seem to about everyone else?

Also, how many years do YOU intend to do on JET?
    It is not unusual at all, but I am surprised that they accepted you. In my city, I think there were about 18 new people last year, and of those 18 people, about 5 of them are already leaving after just staying one year. While most people stay at least 2 years, one year is perfectly fine. People who stay more than 2 years are probably people who don’t have a plan, like me. LOL.

Schools are used to ALTs changing all of the time in the summer. But actually, every April in Japan, teachers and vice principals actually change schools every 2-4 years or so. So teachers changing all the time is very common in Japan. So if you only come for 1 year, it won’t be anything new to your school.

Hehe, for me, I’m one of those people who have no plan after JET. I entered JET with no definite decision on how many years I’d do. I always said at least 3 years, but I’m actually thinking 4 years now. 5 years is the max for JET, but I’m probably not going to stay that long. 3 or 4 years is enough for me.
    Last edited by richief_611; June 2nd, 2014 at 14:30.

It's weird, I know so many 1 year JETs that stayed for much longer and so many "at least 3 years maybe forever" JETs that only did 2 years
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I've been teaching overseas for 2 years already and I think I will be ready to move back to my home country after 2-3 years on JET. After living abroad this long, there's just so much I took for granite back home. I have some ideas of where I want to take my career after JET and 2-3 years in Japan are just round enough numbers for me to get my fill. Plus, I think my grandparents are getting close to the end and I'd much rather not be abroad in the event of something terrible happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

1 year passes quickly so depending on how much nenkyu you have it might be hard to fit things in.

Given that short space of time I'd focus on travelling and seeing as much of Japan and / or its neighbours as you can. You'll tire of the doss local festivals in a couple of months and there's no point in putting much effort into what will be temporary friendships with your local Jets.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I don't see how you could come here for just one year unless your position was absolute shite to be honest.

Most of my friends have gone home at this point (the remainder will leave at the end of year three). Two years seems about right to come over, make some friends, understand the culture, and leave. One year doesn't seem like neough time to do anything at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I don't see how you could come here for just one year unless your position was absolute shite to be honest.

Most of my friends have gone home at this point (the remainder will leave at the end of year three). Two years seems about right to come over, make some friends, understand the culture, and leave. One year doesn't seem like neough time to do anything at all.

It is long enough to say you came.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah I think the thing to do is treat it as an extended holiday rather than trying to get into the whole "figuring out Japanese society". It took me most of my first year to even find my feet and I'm still doing it to some extent. If you're just doing a year then I'd just skip that and see as much of Japan and do as much fun stuff as you can. Fill up your facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Fill up your facebook.
    Best advice

The modern day resume
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    there's just so much I took for granite back home.

Quote Originally Posted by OdysseyOfNoises View Post
    lol I should clarify... I completely took not having to separate my trash for granite. Mainly because...well...I'm lazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

I thought that was a phone/predictive text messaging error... I just practised my American accent and I really can see how it sounds like granite. Totally brilliant.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    lol I should clarify... I completely took not having to separate my trash for granite. Mainly because...well...I'm lazy...
    I assume this is a drawn-out joke. It's a joke, right?