Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

  1. #1

    Default For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    I was a JET from 2011-2013. My apartment was bugged with a microphone by the Japanese teachers that worked at my base school/the city hall and they went through my trash regularly. They only revealed to me what they had done after over a year of living through that. Having no privacy makes you insane and start to think that you are crazy. I figured it out several times before they talked to me about it, but kept telling myself that no civilized person would do that to another human being on Earth, and I tried to ignore the obvious signs.

    It apparently started when I told the original version of Red Riding Hood at the middle school (wolf eats Red and the grandma, woodsman cuts open the wolf, saves the girls, fills the wolf full of rocks and dumps him in a lake). Everybody wins in the Japanese version, they didn't believe me that this was the original. Forgive me for coming from a country where they tell this story to kindergarteners!

    Even though these privacy destroying acts were done to me, and it definitely feels a lot like rape, the Japanese workers for the most part at my school were good people and I did not want to pursue any action against them. It is only after being back at home in America for almost a year that I'm starting to realize once again what a horrific ordeal it was for me.

    If you are a JET or considering joining JET...make sure you buy one of those microphone/camera detecting devices on Amazon/Amazon.co.jp and utilize it regularly in your provided apartment and rented vehicle. It would also be a great idea to invest in a paper shredder. I am an aspiring creative writer and some of the story ideas I came up with and threw away while living there were actually brought up to me by my Japanese co-workers.

    It may sound insane because...doing that to a person is insane! If you start to feel a level of creepiness beyond the obaa-san hotline in rural Japan, then this has probably already happened to you...

  2. #2

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by japanluvr View Post
    I was a JET from 2011-2013. My apartment was bugged with a microphone by the Japanese teachers that worked at my base school/the city hall and they went through my trash regularly. They only revealed to me what they had done after over a year of living through that. Having no privacy makes you insane and start to think that you are crazy. I figured it out several times before they talked to me about it, but kept telling myself that no civilized person would do that to another human being on Earth, and I tried to ignore the obvious signs.

    It apparently started when I told the original version of Red Riding Hood at the middle school (wolf eats Red and the grandma, woodsman cuts open the wolf, saves the girls, fills the wolf full of rocks and dumps him in a lake). Everybody wins in the Japanese version, they didn't believe me that this was the original. Forgive me for coming from a country where they tell this story to kindergarteners!

    Even though these privacy destroying acts were done to me, and it definitely feels a lot like rape, the Japanese workers for the most part at my school were good people and I did not want to pursue any action against them. It is only after being back at home in America for almost a year that I'm starting to realize once again what a horrific ordeal it was for me.

    If you are a JET or considering joining JET...make sure you buy one of those microphone/camera detecting devices on Amazon/Amazon.co.jp and utilize it regularly in your provided apartment and rented vehicle. It would also be a great idea to invest in a paper shredder. I am an aspiring creative writer and some of the story ideas I came up with and threw away while living there were actually brought up to me by my Japanese co-workers.

    It may sound insane because...doing that to a person is insane! If you start to feel a level of creepiness beyond the obaa-san hotline in rural Japan, then this has probably already happened to you...
    I think you need psychiatric help. Do you have access to services?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  3. #3

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    You can think that if you want.

  4. #4
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by japanluvr View Post
    If you are a JET or considering joining JET...make sure you buy one of those microphone/camera detecting devices on Amazon/Amazon.co.jp and utilize it regularly in your provided apartment and rented vehicle.
    Good point, also dont forget your tin foil hat to stop them reading your mind....


    To any new applicant please ignore this lunatics ravings.

    (now you have to ask yourself am I only saying that because its my job to spy on ALTs?)
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  5. #5

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    I doubt anyone wants to sit and listen to an ALT eat a bag of doritos and a pint of ice cream then weep uncontrollably for an hour.

    Although, when I put it that way...



    Seriously, OP. If you believe this happened to you, you should honestly seek therapy. If it really happened, you should talk about it. If you've gone a bit loopy, you should still talk about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  6. #6

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    (now you have to ask yourself am I only saying that because its my job to spy on ALTs?)
    That would explain a lot.

  7. #7

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    I mean, Japanese people are known to love snooping. I could see it happening, but it just seems so drastic. What was the impetus? Why would they do it? Aren't there laws protecting people against wiretapping in Japan? If you knew these things why did you never remove the recording devises or tell them to stop?

    Actually the more questions I pose the less likely this seems. What are you on?

  8. #8

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    this is ridiculous
    Last edited by Bi-Kun; June 2nd, 2014 at 14:55.

  9. #9
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    What gets me is that the story he told that he believed started the whole thing? That is the exact story printed in the dual language children's books in my school library, surgery and rocks included.

    Is it possible that it was a different story that caused them to spy on you? An account of the time the g-men came and replaced your jam with marmalade, perhaps?

    It just seems a little... Hard to swallow.

  10. #10

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Bi-Kun View Post
    You are very dismissive and quick to completely discredit OP for something that was a genuine concern. It wasn't a crazed rant but a cool and collected post-JET reflection that he/she felt could be helpful. Sure it seems outlandish and nothing OP says may make you believe it, but really?

    I will admit this seems a bit crazy OP, but something to be aware of. Thanks.

    Those with delusions often are cool and collected. They know how things really work, and understand things we don't.

    What would you suggest the response be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  11. #11
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Bi-Kun View Post
    You are very dismissive and quick to completely discredit OP for something that was a genuine concern. It wasn't a crazed rant but a cool and collected post-JET reflection that he/she felt could be helpful. Sure it seems outlandish and nothing OP says may make you believe it, but really?

    I will admit this seems a bit crazy OP, but something to be aware of. Thanks.
    I think the main problem a lot of us will have with it, content aside, is just how much of a 'post-JET' reflection it is. The ALT community here is not the most closely tied but, by extension, everybody does genuinely hear interesting news at some point. So unless the OP had absolutely zero friends, online activity, never attended meet-ups and was the only person ever to have been contracted by his particular BOE, the chances that somebody here would not have heard this news are extremely slim. Couple this with the fact that if you really wanted to hear your foreign neighbour you would just stand next to the wall in the majority of apartments, and that somewhere in the region of 99% of Japanese teachers who do not have English as a core subject would have been completely stumped by the contents of a 'creative writing piece' found in the trash... it just seems unbelievable, for many reasons.

    I am half expecting OP to be part of a viral marketing campaign to advertise for electronic bug-sweeping devices.

    Edit: Oh, and couple that with the fact that he made an account here specifically to tell the story of how he was psychologically tortured and is only now beginning to realise the extent of the depravity, etc, etc...

    Yet his name is 'japanluvr' and he took the time to choose an avatar of cute penguins before telling us his story.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; June 2nd, 2014 at 09:15.

  12. #12
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    OP, do you believe in gang stalking?

  13. #13

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    I'm also having problems believing this. So OP implied that teachers brought up to them that they were spying in them. So, they admitted to it? Why wouldn't that get brought up to, I dunno, anyone? Did OP talk to anyone about this with any power? Like, even a CIR or anything?

    Calling shenanigans.

    Also being recorded isn't rape, so calm yourself.

  14. #14

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post

    Also being recorded isn't rape, so calm yourself.
    Talk to Louise Ogborn.

    (Don't google that at your desk.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  15. #15
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Talk to Louise Ogborn.

    (Don't google that at your desk.)
    To my phone!

    EDIT: Yeah, I remember that. Hard not to feel sorry for her, in multiple ways.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; June 2nd, 2014 at 09:20.

  16. #16

    Default For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Talk to Louise Ogborn.

    (Don't google that at your desk.)
    Well, when they record rape it's still obviously rape. The recording of it is heinous, but that itself is not rape. Plus, OP said it was a microphone, so at worst you're going to just hear some squeals.

    Edit: but god damn her pics will be online forever for creeps like BJ to ogle, which is pretty awful to think about.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; June 2nd, 2014 at 09:22.

  17. #17
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Sometimes, I get a little bit psychic, and I'm having one of my moments - I'm seeing, I'm seeing... that this thread may end up in the lounge at some point if the current conversation continues.

  18. #18

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    OP- Did you find and remove any of their surveillance equipment?

    Also, remember to hide your ip address when posting here. Never hurts to be too careful as they could still be keeping tabs on you.

  19. #19

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Well, when they record rape it's still obviously rape. The recording of it is heinous, but that itself is not rape. Plus, OP said it was a microphone, so at worst you're going to just hear some squeals.

    Edit: but god damn her pics will be online forever for creeps like BJ to ogle, which is pretty awful to think about.
    The point is that recording is a violation. Not the same violation, but a violation nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  20. #20
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

    OP, do share your town/BOE's name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •