Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

Thanks for all your replies. The tinfoil hat may seem a bit much at first, but worn with the right set of heels---a daring fashion statement! I admit that every situation is different and hopefully no new JETs (or any JETs other than myself) will deal with anything like what I went through. I'm on nothing, lol. I actually had the same reaction to my own situation that uthinkimlost? espoused when it happened to me. I think it was a delicate set of circumstances. That version of the story may be printed in any number of books in Japan but the teachers at my base school said they were unaware of it and that it made them concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    creeps like BJ to ogle
    Hey now, BJ might have his obnoxious moments, but I don't think he's a creep.

I'm going to stop there because, as was the reason for me posting this in the first place...I am a supporter of privacy. I wanted to make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone else because it was a really frightening experience for me. I do not want to reveal my specific locale and the people involved so I wish you all the best of luck. And may you do with the information what you will. The best material they ever got from me was a William Shatner impression, so in the end no harm no foul. It's just that this whole kind of thing is quite taxing on a person.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by japanluvr View Post
    ...The best material they ever got from me was a William Shatner impression...
    Now that I would like to see.

I really want to believe you - mostly to make my next skype call home slightly more interesting - but the fact that you've addressed no concerns, given no extra information, and are simultaneously trying to convince us that you are only now realising the extent of their 'rape-like invasion of privacy' but also protecting them because they're such nice guys...

Just no.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; June 2nd, 2014 at 09:41.

Edit: but god damn her pics will be online forever for creeps like BJ to ogle, which is pretty awful to think about.
    Bit much, dude.

But yeah I cannot believe this guy. Obviously if they actually did bug his apartment that is huge and absolutely justifies a crazy response. I would go fucking nuts. But there's no way.

The rest of it is fairly believable I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But yeah I cannot believe this guy. Obviously if they actually did bug his apartment that is huge and absolutely justifies a crazy response. I would go fucking nuts. But there's no way.

The rest of it is fairly believable I suppose.
    I think that's the drag. I really can't imagine a situation where somebody thinks that they're going crazy and then their co-workers say 'oh yeah, those suspicions you had? Totally right, we bugged your house and car and we go through your trash. Cool stories, by the way, why did you chuck them?' and the OP responds with 'well, that is rather strange - but hey, you got to see my impersonating the Shat so no harm no foul, you're still my bros'.

Instead of the response that I think many people would have in that situation, which would be '[invectives censored], I am telling everybody about this.'

Yeah, nope. OP is a basket case. It's possible that a lot of this actually happened, possibly even the bugging... but the OP has drawn a bunch of ridiculous conclusions, and I don't buy any of them for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Well I have no idea what posting actual hard information/facts could do to people involved...so I'm going to avoid that. And the fact that I stupidly didn't do anything worthwhile about it while I was nuts from the situation there, automatically makes it hard to believe. I just want to give fair warning in case it wasn't an isolated incident. I'm trying not to care about justice in this case anymore because it was almost a year ago now and there doesn't seem like much I could do about it or people that would believe me. Actually this kind of thing happens everywhere in all kinds of businesses and a lot even in America.

It would be hard to explain fully, but my JTEs were the ones who started giving me hints that I was under surveillance and then I eventually (way, way too late) caught on and talked to them about it. The kyoto-sensei then said that it was because they were concerned and that they were now sorry about it. What makes me upset though is I don't know whether the shiyakusho was involved or not and if they were that is super disgusting/oh my God awful because they were pretty much in charge of my whole living situation. Anyways, I'm out. Best of luck to you all.

The idea of giving fair warning is a noble one, but... well, to be brutally honest, a lot of places really just wouldn't care enough about you to bother spending money putting you under surveillance unless they suspected that you were doing something genuinely illegal, and even in that case they'd probably just drop round your place at inconvenient times to try to catch you in the act.

The situation you described could happen, but is far less likely than many others that are negative and probably will happen at some point to new ALTs.

I don't think we're saying it's impossible - merely that it's incredibly implausible that it happened the way you're describing it.

EDIT: What did your friends say about this situation?
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; June 2nd, 2014 at 10:04. Reason: I'm enjoying this conversation way too much, I'm actually genuinely interested now.

Well I have no idea what posting actual hard information/facts could do to people involved...so I'm going to avoid that. And the fact that I stupidly didn't do anything worthwhile about it while I was nuts from the situation there, automatically makes it hard to believe. I just want to give fair warning in case it wasn't an isolated incident. I'm trying not to care about justice in this case anymore because it was almost a year ago now and there doesn't seem like much I could do about it or people that would believe me. Actually this kind of thing happens everywhere in all kinds of businesses and a lot even in America.
    You can pm proof to one of the mods and they can verify it without revealing any private information.

I'm having trouble imagining the BOE and teachers installing all this stuff and hiding it successfully. The staff in my Japan couldn't even figure out how to hook up a video camera to a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Yeah this would require a crazy level of modernity in IT and a crazy backwards viewpoint of personal privacy/employer rights to pull off. I can only vaguely imagine a super backwards inaka school thinking this was socially acceptable and the idea of that kind of school hooking up a camera in your apartment is ludicrous.

Also if the worst thing they heard was you impersonating shatner it implies you don't masturbate, in which case you're definitely lying or crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Also if the worst thing they heard was you impersonating shatner it implies you don't masturbate, in which case you're definitely lying or crazy.
    That entirely depends on whether he was impersonating Shatner in his Star trek days, his Boston Legal days or at the terrifying mid-point where he had a music career.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Well, when they record rape it's still obviously rape. The recording of it is heinous, but that itself is not rape. Plus, OP said it was a microphone, so at worst you're going to just hear some squeals.

Edit: but god damn her pics will be online forever for creeps like BJ to ogle, which is pretty awful to think about.
    I'm sorry what are you calling me? for doing what?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Thanks for all your replies. The tinfoil hat may seem a bit much at first, but worn with the right set of heels---a daring fashion statement! I admit that every situation is different and hopefully no new JETs (or any JETs other than myself) will deal with anything like what I went through. I'm on nothing, lol. I actually had the same reaction to my own situation that uthinkimlost? espoused when it happened to me. I think it was a delicate set of circumstances. That version of the story may be printed in any number of books in Japan but the teachers at my base school said they were unaware of it and that it made them concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    I'm sorry what are you calling me? for doing what?
    Ignore her. She's overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Ignore her. She's overweight.
    Mrcharisma, I've been called a whore, I've been called an asshole, I've been called lots of things before, but overweight is not one of them! These accusations against my person will not stand and I won't stop crying about it until everyone rallies to my aid.

Mrcharisma, I've been called a whore, I've been called an asshole, I've been called lots of things before, but overweight is not one of them! These accusations against my person will not stand and I won't stop crying about it until everyone rallies to my aid.
    You might be waiting a while for BJ...

OP still hasn't answered my question about gang-stalking.

OT, but I now love you a little. I will doubly make sure I sit on Jiggit or Bucky for you if you come to O~Rama with us, whenever that may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    OT, but I now love you a little. I will doubly make sure I sit on Jiggit or Bucky for you if you come to O~Rama with us, whenever that may be.
    You won't even know I'm there. *woosh*