Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

pipe down fatty
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    You can pm proof to one of the mods and they can verify it without revealing any private information.
    DO NOT WANT

He's not gonna do it anyway; he's clearly a complete loon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

But a very polite one.

you need to be polite at all times, you never know who is watching....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

you need to be polite at all times, you never know who is watching....

or apparently listening
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

or searching through your rubbish
    ES and JHS ALT

Or just telling you that they're doing all that stuff to keep you on the straight, narrow and traumatized.

bedintrudersong.PNG

Hide your kids. Hide your wife.

What actually happened:

They had the neighbors "keep an eye" on him for a while, and went through his trash.

The going through trash thing is actually kind of .... not common, but it happens. Because people are allowed to go through it to "check" that you're throwing things out right, it's obviously not considered private like it is elsewhere. I have heard NUMEROUS stories about gaijin trash being sorted through by "helpful" japanese people. So it's not too far (for me) to think that they'd check it to make sure there wasn't anything suspicious like signs of drug use or alcoholism.

Then JTEs let it slip that he was being "watched" aka looked out for in the creepy japanese way, and whatever word they used is the same one that could mean surveillance in a more serious context. He misinterpreted it, or they fucked up their English, and here we are a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post
    What actually happened:

They had the neighbors "keep an eye" on him for a while, and went through his trash.

The going through trash thing is actually kind of .... not common, but it happens. Because people are allowed to go through it to "check" that you're throwing things out right, it's obviously not considered private like it is elsewhere. I have heard NUMEROUS stories about gaijin trash being sorted through by "helpful" japanese people. So it's not too far (for me) to think that they'd check it to make sure there wasn't anything suspicious like signs of drug use or alcoholism.

Then JTEs let it slip that he was being "watched" aka looked out for in the creepy japanese way, and whatever word they used is the same one that could mean surveillance in a more serious context. He misinterpreted it, or they fucked up their English, and here we are a year later.
    This seems quite likely.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The looking through the trash happens. So I'm sure the OP was right about that. The BOE are not going to pay money to bug an apartment and have a lovely monitoring station to keep tabs on their ALTs. And if they do maybe they could divert some of that effort into working with them.

What the BOE can do is enter your apartment when you are not there. Whether it be to fix something you asked to have fixed or just because they feel they should. If they are a good at their job they will ask you first. I was home once when I heard a key rattling in my door. I went to the hall and in walks the plumber haha. And I know for a fact that they have entered my apartment on a separate occasion, only telling me some days after the fact. Something I'm kind of mad at them about to be honest (they didn't like that I was using my veranda as storage space so in they went to clean it up, for the good of the community and all that). Knowing that can be unsettling. So while I'm sure there was no bugging, I'm pretty certain there were "concerned" people in and out of the OP's apartment from time to time. And as I said that is not the nicest thing to find out.

This is NOT, however, a regular thing. I can't stress that enough. So don't worry. They should only do this when you have asked to have something fixed or they are genuinely concerned about something. But for whatever reason, if they go into your apartment without telling you it is an invasion of privacy and I just feel bad for the OP that they had to feel like that whether any of this actually happened or not.

Let's being happy h'ok.

Given how much of a crackpot the OP sounds to be, his or her overlords had the right idea by checking up. Can't be too careful.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

you do realize that garbage isn't private, anywhere. If you throw it out on the street it is considered fair game. I could go through your garbage, or anyones garbage if it has left their property (yes, the curb counts).
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

If I knew someone was going through my trash, I would wait and take pictures of them. And then put those pictures in my trash for a few weeks.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    If I knew someone was going through my trash, I would wait and take pictures of them. And then put those pictures in my trash for a few weeks.
    I like your style...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    you do realize that garbage isn't private, anywhere. If you throw it out on the street it is considered fair game. I could go through your garbage, or anyones garbage if it has left their property (yes, the curb counts).
    In many places in the world that is actually illegal. Where I grew up there were anti scavenging laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    In many places in the world that is actually illegal. Where I grew up there were anti scavenging laws.
    this is news to me, As far as I know it is perfectly legal in most of the US, so i assumed it was more universal.
    where abouts are you from again?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

How does anyone even know who threw out a particular rubbish bag? Do people stand on their balconies and stake out the rubbish collection area with binoculars or something?
    ES and JHS ALT

In lots of places (most?), you hafta write your name (and sometimes your address) on the bags. It was required everywhere I've lived.

There was a JET a few years back who took a bunch of her trash and just tossed it in the woods; someone went through it all and found receipts and mail and sh*t to tie it back to her. Big scandal, apologizing at the BoE and city office, rather large fine. I'm all for the occasional bit of plastic or broken ceramic hidden in your burnable, but don't be stupid.