Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

Default Re: For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

Ahhh, okay. Where I live, we have to put our rubbish in special bags and put it in a certain place for collection, but we don't need to write our name or anything on the bag. And yeah, throwing away rubbish in the woods and leaving all your post and receipts in the bag is just stupid (we all know you just drive to the combini/ supermarket and use their bins... minus incriminating bits of paper with your name and address, though Lawson et al probably don't care)
    ES and JHS ALT

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    this is news to me, As far as I know it is perfectly legal in most of the US, so i assumed it was more universal.
    where abouts are you from again?
    Up in ontario. I don't remember if it was a municipal or provincial law though, I just remember that it was technically illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Up in ontario. I don't remember if it was a municipal or provincial law though, I just remember that it was technically illegal.
    curse you freedom loving canadians!!!!! you need to come to murrika, where we got better freedom. freedom to be a creeper and pick through other peoples trash.
    Murrika! FUCK YA
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

In terms of looking through trash, I meant more of a social taboo than a legal issue.

Like, imagine someone in your home country getting worried about you. So they sneak into your garbage bin and sort it all out. Then instead of approaching you, they find out where you work and go into your office. They request a private meeting with your boss to talk about your trash habits. Then your boss confronts you with real concern about your garbage.

No, really. Just take a minute and IMAGINE someone trying to do that anywhere other than Japan.

If anyone tried to talk to me about my garbage in the USA I'd feel absolutely no shame in calling them a total nutter and shrieking at them until they left.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

it's hard to imagine because we don't give a shit about trash and don't have burnable/unburnable/pet/steel/aluminum/hazardous/spray can など garbage systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

If anyone at home went through my rubbish and then reported their 'findings' to my boss, said boss would probably call the nearest psychiatric ward and ask if they had any vacancies
    ES and JHS ALT

Yeah but this is just one of those cultural things about Japan that's just different. Collective society is expected to monitor individuals in certain ways. If you've been putting hard plastic in your recyclable plastic bag, that's an issue that affects the community and threatens the well-being of the collective whole. They can't talk to you about it, though; that would be rude. It's much more polite to go to the authority figure above you (preferably several levels above you; the higher, the better) and speak to him (usually a him, realistically speaking).

So, yanno, that's part of what JET is all about; internationalization/learning about cultural differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

From wee-a-boo to bug-a-boo, the story of JET
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I've always wanting to get into fly-tipping. Anybody any experience with that?

Quote Originally Posted by kenkennif View Post
    I've always wanting to get into fly-tipping. Anybody any experience with that?
    Shouldn't that be in the garbage thread? Mods?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.