Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyedrops for Dry/Lasered Eyes Question

Default Eyedrops for Dry/Lasered Eyes Question

Hi all,

I was hoping that any JETs who've had eye laser surgery, or who suffer from dry eyes, or who are just knowledgeable on eye drop products, could advise me on eye drops in Japan.

I had a quick Google and my search brought up eye drops that are minty and burn, and eye drops that had to be recalled due to sanitary issues. This makes me slightly worried as I use eye drops daily - not because I am very old, but because I had laser surgery and my eyes still get pretty dry!

At the moment I use individual vials without any preservatives (because my eyes are sensitive too, naw) such as Bion Tears and Systane. I was going to buy a whole bunch of these to tide me over until I can find where to order them online or something, but before I do, I would love to know if they are- or if something very similar is- available in Japan?

Default Re: Eyedrops for Dry/Lasered Eyes Question

You can get plain eye drops here. Just look for ones that don't say "cool" on the package.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    You can get plain eye drops here. Just look for ones that don't say "cool" on the package.
    Thanks for the tip Coop52, do you happen to know any brand names? Then I can google and compare the ingredients with the ones I use atm

1. Go to amazon.co.jp
    2. Search for eye drops
    3. ??????
    4. Profit

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    1. Go to amazon.co.jp
    2. Search for eye drops
    3. ??????
    4. Profit
    Well... the eye drops I currently use are three times as expensive on amazon.jp. So no, no profit for me there

But I would love to know if products similar to what I use now are available in Japanese pharmacies?
    Or even just the website for the most common Japanese pharmacy chain? I could probably look it up then.

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    Well... the eye drops I currently use are three times as expensive on amazon.jp.
    Welcome to Japan! Please enjoy your stay!

If you're a JET, ask around about an English speaking ophthalmologist in your prefecture. Talk to him or her, tell them your issues, and they can give you far better advice than us. It will also be partially covered by your insurance!
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; June 4th, 2014 at 09:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Welcome to Japan! Please enjoy your stay!

If you're a JET, ask around about an English speaking ophthalmologist in your prefecture. Talk to him or her, tell them your issues, and they can give you far better advice than us. It will also be partially covered by your insurance!
    Thank you!

For anyone who stumbles across this later, I use a cool version made for use with contacts. My Japan's special in a way that whenever I wear contacts, I feel like my eyes are always drying out, something I never felt in my home country (could be the pollution, lol).

But. Yeah. Minty cooling sensation. You'll feel like you're dying at first and probably want to chuck the vial at the nearest Japanese person, yelling "Whhhhhhy". But, honestly, after using them a few times, I hardly even notice the cooling sensation anymore. Mine's weak though, level 3 (out of 8? 9?). YMMV

Hopefully you can find a suitable, inexpensive substitute, Hello. iHerb has a lot organic/natural goods, including eyedrops, and they're not too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

One thing I never understood was the whole 'cooling' sensation thing. I made the mistake of buying cooling deodorant/body wipes for after I bike to school - they feel like wiping my body down with a mixture of bleach and hydrogen peroxide. I was convinced I was going to get some sort of chemical burn from them - and they don't actually cool you down - you just end up feeling clammy from still sweating through the menthol induced shivers.

I know for mine, they were the only ones I could find at the time. I went with the lowest strength. I can't imagine doing anything more than the level 3s.

One thing I never understood was the whole 'cooling' sensation thing. I made the mistake of buying cooling deodorant/body wipes for after I bike to school - they feel like wiping my body down with a mixture of bleach and hydrogen peroxide. I was convinced I was going to get some sort of chemical burn from them - and they don't actually cool you down - you just end up feeling clammy from still sweating through the menthol induced shivers.
    Dude, one time that was the only kind available and I thought I was going to die after using them. Going from cycling in 37 degree weather to being fake menthol cool.... I had an out of body experience
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Thanks for your reply Lianwen, I'm not sure if I'm ready for cooling eye drops yet! Although I'm glad you mentioned there is a scale of cooling, I'd hate to get adventurous and grab level 8 thinking it was better value or something... it would be like laser surgery all over again

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Dude, one time that was the only kind available and I thought I was going to die after using them. Going from cycling in 37 degree weather to being fake menthol cool.... I had an out of body experience
    I made the mistake of using one on my face once - I thought my face was melting off.

Quote Originally Posted by hello View Post
    Thanks for your reply Lianwen, I'm not sure if I'm ready for cooling eye drops yet! Although I'm glad you mentioned there is a scale of cooling, I'd hate to get adventurous and grab level 8 thinking it was better value or something... it would be like laser surgery all over again
    NP. I can't even imagine what an 8 is like. I thought I was dying the first time I used 3s. I probably would die with an 8.

I made the mistake of using one on my face once - I thought my face was melting off.
    I had a bad experience once after my boyfriend used "cooling" toothpaste ... I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I had a bad experience once after my boyfriend used "cooling" toothpaste ... I'll just leave it at that.
    Giiiirl.

Quote Originally Posted by osakavamp View Post
    Giiiirl.
    Booooyyy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Back to my never ending eye drops questions...

If I want to bring more than 1 pack of eye drops (which have 24 individual vials in them) do I need to fill in the medical import form? It seems a little excessive..! On a slightly different note, I read in the GIH that the 24 limit is on individual sanitary items too? Really? :/

Not sure about the import procedures, but my local drugstore had several colors of Visine.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Stick them in a tampon box. Customs dudes won't touch it.