Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading your flight to Japan

Default Upgrading your flight to Japan

So I've been talking to several people about their experiences on JET and going to Japan. One girl said that she was given a first class ticket when she was flying over. Four other people told be they upgraded their ticket to economy plus, business and first class.

I wanted to know how common this is and if other people have upgraded as well. My total travel time is 37 hours with 29 hous of that being spent in cramped seats. I'm thinking that if it's possible to upgrade, then I would like to do that and I don't mind paying for it at all.

Does anyone else have this experience? Has anyone else upgraded their ticket?

Default Re: Upgrading your flight to Japan

When you get your booking information it will have information about the flight and a phone number. Call the number. You can at least choose your seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

37 hours?!?! Are you starting in Eastern Europe and flying over the states to get here? You have to be some place like South America or South Africa
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

They told me that they couldn't do sh@it to upgrade me. FYI. United but it's booked through an agency

Don't talk to JET peeps; talk to the airline directly. Be all annoying and ask to speak with a supervisor if they tell you they can't do it. Worst case scenario, try and do it at the airport the day of the flight. The airline shouldn't give two f*cks how it is that you happen to have a ticket; if you're willing to pay for an upgrade and they have a seat available, you'll almost certainly get it.

And, yeah... 37 hours? Where on earth are you flying from?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    37 hours?!?! Are you starting in Eastern Europe and flying over the states to get here? You have to be some place like South America or South Africa
    Oi! South Africa only like 19 hours if we go through dubai!

I thought the program paid for the most direct flight? Even a New York flight going the wrong way wouldn't take more than 30 hours (unless you stay half a day in Turkey or something....)
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

With layovers and departing from a backwater location with no direct flights to international hubs, I can see 37 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

37 hours would be like flying from NYC to Sydney (with 1-2 stops). being cramped into economy seating would be difficult, but at least you're not flipping the bill for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Yeah, I tried to talk to the gate agent too. She said my ticket could not be upgraded. ESID I guess. United

Remember that the people you fly with are potential friends and co-workers in Japan, so maybe you don't want to alienate them by flying in business class, or...

Bwaaaahaha, I can't do it. You'll never see 99% of them again, let alone be friends. Stuff 'em, and their cattle-class seats too!
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Remember that the people you fly with are potential friends and co-workers in Japan, so maybe you don't want to alienate them by flying in business class, or...

Bwaaaahaha, I can't do it. You'll never see 99% of them again, let alone be friends. Stuff 'em, and their cattle-class seats too!
    I didn't see anybody from my prefecture before TO - and I didn't even sit next to JETs on the plane. If you want an upgrade, get one - you'll be sitting for 13 hours, why not make it comfortable if you can.

The only downside is now I have traveled to Japan on three different frequent flyer miles programs - so now I'm just shy of getting free upgrades etc for each...

Our's was completely booked out with 99% of the passengers being JETs flying from London on Virgin Airlines when we came over. It was like they had chartered it specifically just for us lot.

I got bored of my seat and just got up and flew the plane.

BETTER QUESTION:

Would you play your portable games system (DS, 3DS, or PSP) on the plane, where people could see you?

I sure hope you guys don't do that...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by letoastingman View Post
    BETTER QUESTION:

Would you play your portable games system (DS, 3DS, or PSP) on the plane, where people could see you?

No, I would desperately hide it inside a pillowcase in case some people I would likely never see again, who are all traveling to Japan, might catch a glimpse of me enjoying a video game system and instantly assume that I was a mouth-breathing asexual who had never so much as spoken to another person due to my crippling social anxiety. I mean, lord knows that the judgment of a bunch of strangers concerning my incredibly unusual hobby is my most pressing concern on a twelve hour flight.

BETTER QUESTION:

Yep I did. In fact I even borrowed one from the JET sitting beside me, and for some strange reason I still have friends. It is almost like people don't really care that other people play video games, but based on your view I must be mistaken.

BETTER QUESTION:

As long as it isn't bothering the people around you, who the fuck cares? (Even if I don't have a game system) Who is going to look down on you - people you won't see ever again after 2 days? Its a long flight - sleep when you can, and keep yourself occupied with something, otherwise its just mind-numbingly boring.

I, too, am rather confused by letoastingman's views on portable gaming. Unless you're playing a rape sim, I don't really understand why anyone would gaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I have the distinct feeling that nothing could garner me more judgmental eyeballing than when I watched the entire second season of Dragon Ball Z Abridged on the flight home from Osaka last year. After that, Animal Crossing ain't no thing.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I, too, am rather confused by letoastingman's views on portable gaming.
    Perhaps he simply had a really bad experience and... hold up.

I feel a poem coming on.

The Tale of letoastingman

... has been removed, because he turned out to be insufferable.

It's not on the level of a Bucky/Lianwen epic, but there's only so much I can do in ten minutes.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; June 6th, 2014 at 13:39.